Profile Picture

LYB Balancer Question

Posted By Oldmics 9 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 4 Years Ago
Gentlemen
I believe the 368 engine that I have has a balancer that has twisted, rendering it so that the timing marks are now not correct.
I know this can be a common problem on the "Y" s  but never have seen mention of this issue happening on the LYB engines.
So anybody know for sure?
Also when someone like the Dampner Doctor repairs these things, how does he correlate the crankshaft keyway to the TDC mark?

Oldmics
Ted
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 3 hours ago
John.  I’ve not had much experience with the 368 LYB engines so I can’t give any information regarding the rate of damper failures on those engines.  The 292 Y-Block dampers tend to last much longer than some of the others out there before the rubber fails if that’s any consolation but forty years seems to be the limit for most.  The 5.0L SBF engines with the 50oz external balance dampers are notorious for failing at the ten year mark so this makes the Y dampers look really good.

As far as getting the LYB damper rebuilt, I suspect Damper Doctor has the number of degrees that the TDC mark is located from the crankshaft key.  For the Y the TDC mark is 108° from the key slot and there should be a corresponding number of degrees for the LYB engines.  A quick call to Damper Doctor should confirm that they have the information to get the TDC mark back in the right location.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

lyonroad
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)

Last Active: 9 Years Ago
Ted (1/19/2015)

As far as getting the LYB damper rebuilt, I suspect Damper Doctor has the number of degrees that the TDC mark is located from the crankshaft key.  For the Y the TDC mark is 108° from the key slot and there should be a corresponding number of degrees for the LYB engines.  A quick call to Damper Doctor should confirm that they have the information to get the TDC mark back in the right location.

When I had my damper rebuilt by Dales Manufacturing in Salem Oregon I asked him about registering the the TDC mark in relation to the key slot.  I mentioned that I had a drawing (from one of Ted's posts) that showed the angle to be 108*.  He said he would check that but he already had had a template or jig for the Yblock that he has used for years..  When I got the damper back and checked it on the engine the TDC mark was right on.

Mark

1956 Mercury M100
1955 Ford Fairlane Club Sedan
Delta, British Columbia
Campsite
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (91 reputation)Supercharged (91 reputation)Supercharged (91 reputation)Supercharged (91 reputation)Supercharged (91 reputation)Supercharged (91 reputation)Supercharged (91 reputation)Supercharged (91 reputation)Supercharged (91 reputation)

Last Active: 8 Years Ago
Oldmics;  Your question about the Dampner  Doctor,  I have had a number of Dampers repaired by him, Has always done a very good Job. He also repaired my Damper for a 1955 T-bird that someone had used a Hammer on. He did a great job.
  I have been to johns shop many times, his shop is a few miles away. His shop is VERY organized.  Bob 

Bob
MoonShadow
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
If Damper Doctor does the work he can also powder coat the assembly before he presses it back together. Should last a long time. I would give him a call, he's an easy guy to deal with. Chuck

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire

Reading This Topic

Site Meter