Profile Picture

Advice needed about matching paint

Posted By ChrisS. 10 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Question Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Turbocharged

Turbocharged (50 reputation)Turbocharged (50 reputation)Turbocharged (50 reputation)Turbocharged (50 reputation)Turbocharged (50 reputation)Turbocharged (50 reputation)Turbocharged (50 reputation)Turbocharged (50 reputation)Turbocharged (50 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 8 Years Ago
Hello,
I've got a '55 Fairlane finished in Aquatone blue and white and I'm having difficulty getting a paint match for the blue.
I'm in England so that may be why it's not on the paint chart of my local paint shop. Do you fellas in other countries have trouble getting a correct paint match?
Do the big automotive paint companies still hold the formulas for the older paint codes?
Any advice/help would be welcomed.
Thanks,
Chris.
miker
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
In the US, some larger paint outlets have a computer match, using a Spectrophotometer. Not the Home Depot type, but really high quality ones. To match existing, you've got to have a part for them to match the color to. That said, when I had it done, we brushed a little sample, and the girl behind the counter added a little tint, and got even closer. Takes a really experienced mixer, with good color vision. That usually means a younger female, as their color vision is typically better than men's. Not all bad.

Older paint is rarely the same color as new. It can be a real PITA. The Thunderbird Blue on my car actually matched out as an old Rambler (AMC) color. Looking at the OEM paint, on the floors, under the carpet, it's the same. Maybe they stole the color later, coincidence, I don't know. My buddy is a very experienced painter, and after a couple tries, he laid it down and blended it in. Even my daughter and her friends couldn't see the difference.

I don't know this helps much over there, but it's the best I can do.

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
slumlord444
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
As stated, over here any good automotive paint store will computer match the paint for you. They can even make up spray cans for you. I would think you would have something similar there.
slick56
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
If Aquatone Blue is the name of the colour, it should be able to be matched.
The Meadow Mist Green on my 56 was matched by a local paint shop here
in South Australia, i had to wait a couple of days tho while he got the formula
for non-lead paint. Perfect match, was either PPG or DuPont.
I got the code from a colour chart that was advertised on eBay.
56 chart below..

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/712619eb-352b-4d89-a8bb-c70e.jpg

South Australia

stuey
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (832 reputation)Supercharged (832 reputation)Supercharged (832 reputation)Supercharged (832 reputation)Supercharged (832 reputation)Supercharged (832 reputation)Supercharged (832 reputation)Supercharged (832 reputation)Supercharged (832 reputation)

Last Active: 4 days ago
Morning Chris
http://www.autocolorlibrary.com/aclchip.aspx?image=1955-Ford-pg01.jpg
I've imported small quantities from these people but I was not trying for an accurate match, If memory serves me they used UPS not cheap as it is "HAZMAT"
If you are looking for larger quantities I suggest getting friendly with some one who brings in containers of US autos they could put some paint in the container for a cash in hand payment.Wink
another option, I have never used them so cannot vouch how good they might be.
http://www.autopaintsbrighton.co.uk/car-paint-mixed-from-colour-code-prices-from-193-p.asp

good luck
stuey
ChrisS.
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Turbocharged

Turbocharged (50 reputation)Turbocharged (50 reputation)Turbocharged (50 reputation)Turbocharged (50 reputation)Turbocharged (50 reputation)Turbocharged (50 reputation)Turbocharged (50 reputation)Turbocharged (50 reputation)Turbocharged (50 reputation)

Last Active: 8 Years Ago
Thanks everyone for replying, lots of useful information as ever.
Much appreciated,
Chris

Reading This Topic

Site Meter