Profile Picture

Nice E-code story on Hemmings

Posted By Hollow Head 10 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
http://www.hemmings.com/mus/stories/2009/01/01/hmn_feature9.html

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/e3fd9a79-e7c3-47ff-a648-8cd5.jpg Seppo from Järvenpää, Finland
www.hollowheads.net (just click the hole in the head to proceed)
56_Fairlane
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Very nice but surprised tea-pots were still used in 57. As the quote above the photo "Holley four-barrel carburetors, known as ''teapots,'' are prone to flaming backfires if not tuned properly". Twice the fire hazard in that set up.

~DJ~ AKA "Bleach"
1956 Ford Fairlane Town Sedan 30K original miles
pegleg
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)

The 57 F codes used the larger version of the "Teapot". This carb was originally developed for the Lincoln Pan-American cars that were also supercharged. Hoosier Hurricane has gone as quick as 119 mph with one. They will work but are, as anything that old, somewhat sensitive to tuning and condition. 

Frank/Rebop

Bristol, In ( by Elkhart) 

Lord Gaga
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.0K reputation)Supercharged (2.0K reputation)Supercharged (2.0K reputation)Supercharged (2.0K reputation)Supercharged (2.0K reputation)Supercharged (2.0K reputation)Supercharged (2.0K reputation)Supercharged (2.0K reputation)Supercharged (2.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
That's the wrong crest on the hood ornament.....that's the Fairlane crest. The Custom series did not have the gold "crown". Other than that, cool car.
I wonder if the reason for so many loose 2-4V manifolds floating around the marketplace is because owners had them replaced with single 4V setups because of the lousy fuel mileage they got due to the fact that the carbs work in unison rather than progression?

"FREE SAMPLE"
Ted
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.8K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.8K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.8K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.8K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.8K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.8K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.8K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.8K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.8K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 3 hours ago
Lord Gaga (11/27/2014)
.........  I wonder if the reason for so many loose 2-4V manifolds floating around the marketplace is because owners had them replaced with single 4V setups because of the lousy fuel mileage they got due to the fact that the carbs work in unison rather than progression?

I doubt that the carburetors working in unison is a detriment to the fuel mileage aspect as I’m aware of a stock D code ’57 ‘Bird that gets 19+ mph on the highway.  The difficulty in keeping the cars and carbs in a good state of tune had more to do with a majority of the dual quad setups being pulled off the engines early and replaced with a single carb setup.  Had electronic ignition been available during that period, many of the dual quad setups may have lasted longer on the cars. 

In the early Seventies there was a local small town dealership that had no fewer than a half a dozen Y dual quad setups sitting on their back shelf that had been pulled off of 1957 cars.  By the same token, I may have seen some of those same cars in the wrecking yards during that same period that had the dual quad valley cover but had two barrel intakes and carburetors on them.  This may help to explain why there are so many dual quad intakes floating around but so very few dual quad valley covers.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

56_Fairlane
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)

I have a feeling that many ended up swapped out during the 70's because of the fuel embargo in 1973 resulting in a higher awareness for the need of fuel economy.

~DJ~ AKA "Bleach"
1956 Ford Fairlane Town Sedan 30K original miles
slumlord444
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
My theory on the E setup's being removed is that a lot of them had the single carb jets installed from the factory and ran way too rich. The two original E carb set ups that I have both had the single carb jets in them. I put in the correct jets and they run great. Got 17-18 MPG with them on a stock engine with a stick and 3:55 rear end when I took it easy. Also got 9 MPG with a 3:89 gear and my foot in it.
Lord Gaga
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.0K reputation)Supercharged (2.0K reputation)Supercharged (2.0K reputation)Supercharged (2.0K reputation)Supercharged (2.0K reputation)Supercharged (2.0K reputation)Supercharged (2.0K reputation)Supercharged (2.0K reputation)Supercharged (2.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month

Interesting. Isuppose on the highway with a steady foot on the throttle, fuelmileage wasn't too bad. But it would seem to me that city mileagehad to suffer with two accelerator pumps working together in stop andgo traffic. I have always wondered why Ford didn't use progressive linkage on this setup?

"FREE SAMPLE"
PWH42
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (981 reputation)Supercharged (981 reputation)Supercharged (981 reputation)Supercharged (981 reputation)Supercharged (981 reputation)Supercharged (981 reputation)Supercharged (981 reputation)Supercharged (981 reputation)Supercharged (981 reputation)

Last Active: 7 Years Ago
In the 50s,nobody was very  concerned about gas mileage.Gas prices around the country varied from the teens to mid 30s.That is probably the main reason Ford didn't go to the expense of building progressive linkage on these setups.Also most of the people that ran these cars had their foot in the gas much of the time and didn't think about gas mileage,only about beating that scruby next to him.

Paul,

Boonville,MO

slumlord444
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
Love that Custom. A D or E car would be fine with me. Had a Custom 300 back in the day. Started with a 292 4 barrel and ended up with a 300 HP 390 by the time I got married and had to sell it. Still looking for another one.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter