Profile Picture

steering parts

Posted By pegleg 10 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Years Ago

does anyone know where to find new or NOS parts for a 58/59 Galaxie steering box?

Frank/Rebop

Bristol, In ( by Elkhart) 

paul2748
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: 9 hours ago
Try Joblot in NY  718-468-8585

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

Campsite
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (91 reputation)Supercharged (91 reputation)Supercharged (91 reputation)Supercharged (91 reputation)Supercharged (91 reputation)Supercharged (91 reputation)Supercharged (91 reputation)Supercharged (91 reputation)Supercharged (91 reputation)

Last Active: 8 Years Ago
Will a 1958 complete steering box do. I know where a 58 four door is . It is at a wrecking yard in Orland Calif
The car was just brought in two weeks ago.  My phone is 530-526-3413

Or fairlanebob@charter.net  Robert

Bob
pegleg
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)

Bob, 
            It probably would work fine. But I'd like to rebuild it before I install it on the car. None of the major Antique Ford parts houses seem to have much for anything after 1957 by the way of replacement parts for those 58 up gearboxes.
          I know that the horn wiring is different, but right now I want something better than a worn out, leaking 57 box . 
          Does anyone know if a later 60 up Galaxy steering box will fit?

Frank/Rebop

PF Arcand
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Weeks Ago
Frank: to clarify, you want steering box internal parts for a 58-59 box.  Presuming you want it to convert your 57? Can't help with the parts unfortunatly, but do you have the entire column assembly? The horn & turn signal set up is all different?  Also, if a 59 steering shaft, it may be longer..?.  Further, I was advised a while back, that the turn signal cancellation part differs from 58 to 59, but I haven't been able to confirm that for sure. Maybe someone else here can clarify further...( because of all this, my car currently has an auxiliary horn)   P.S.- depending on what parts you may have, a part on the back of your 57 steering wheel will also need to be switched. ( P.S.- Oct 29th, edited again above for further clarity to read) ... "cancellation part differs from 58 to 59"...

Paul
pegleg
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Thanks Paul. I need to rebuild the later box. I may be able to dig up a column, but that will happen after I find out if or where to purchase the parts to rebuild a 58/59 steering box. Then I talk to Miker or greenbird on how to make the car track straight.
    paul2748, Joblots doesn't list anything for those years, but they sure have a lot of other stuff. I'm also wondering if the parts from 60 up interchange with the 59 box. Nobody seems to know.

Frank/Rebop

lowrider
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (620 reputation)Supercharged (620 reputation)Supercharged (620 reputation)Supercharged (620 reputation)Supercharged (620 reputation)Supercharged (620 reputation)Supercharged (620 reputation)Supercharged (620 reputation)Supercharged (620 reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
I put a 58 gearbox in my 57. Great results. The outer steering column is different, I think I cut about an inch off the end & had to open up the end of the column to fit over the 58 box. Also the steering wheel spline is a bit different. I had to make a "blind spline" on the shaft to get the steering wheel on. The box felt tight so the only parts I replaced on it were the pitman arm & the sector shaft seal. As far as 60 & up parts, I would go over to Fordbarn & contact Raceron1120. He's an old Ford dealer parts manager & he still has parts books from that era. He should be able to help.

Dan      Kingman Az.      86409

Reading This Topic

Site Meter