Profile Picture

Jahns Pistons

Posted By Cliff 10 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Years Ago
8.xx sounds impossible with iron heads and without boost/nitrous/nitromethane to me.

(Actually 8 is quite hard with boost too.)

Hyvinkää, FI
John Mummert
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Cliff, 300 cfm through a factory Y-Block head won't happen. 240 on all 8 is a minor miracle. 250 on some with the rest in the 240's is about the best I've seen. I have a set of ECZ-G heads here we put the most work into of all the heads we ever did. We never used them. Have a set of Ross pistons to go with them. 3.810" 1.580" pin ht. .927" pin,  massive dome. 25cc. priced right.
Tom at Scat said he would machine the crankshafts if I had them cast. When I got the pattern done I called him. Then he said he wouldn't machine them. So, for now, he's doing the hobby more harm than good.

http://ford-y-block.com 

20 miles east of San Diego, 20 miles north of Mexico

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/2c0ef4dd-5dd8-408e-ba0d-74f6.jpg

Cliff
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Last Active: 9 hours ago
Powerslide, already bought the converter, Conan wants the motor to run 8 through the traps, I do think it will nose over about 7400, I am working to get 300 CFM out of the intake port (looks like dreaming so far), what's up with the crank your working on?, I keep bothering Scat then I see you are working one. I still have 1 big problem, I need to lose 15Lbs to fit in the car, at this point it's hard to get in and out however once in it's tight but driveable.

Cliff
John Mummert
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)

Cliff, I doubt the Y-Block will efficient past 7000-7400 rpm. The heads and intakes just don't seem to like higher revs. I think running it from 5000-7200 is realistic. Is it a powerslide or turbo trans or maybe you're going to C4??

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/2c0ef4dd-5dd8-408e-ba0d-74f6.jpg

Cliff
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Good idea Joe, I have a lot of parts, the only reason I was thinking of running these pistons is they were free and I cut can cut the dome to my liking
(solid dome), I would only run these in a cheap motor if I run them at all, none of the pistons that I intend to run are off the shelf, all will have to be cut to match the heads, all my heads are being angle cut and moved up on the block.

Cliff 
Joe-JDC
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)

Last Active: 1 hour ago
Another problem with cast pistons is their growth rate/expansion from race heat temperature.  You will not be as consistent with cast pistons as with forged.  I found that water temperature, oil temperature, and quick turn around for next race all caused my engine/car to slow down with a cast piston engine.  I ran electric fan, dual batteries, trans cooler, ram-air, everything to try to keep the car consistent, but if the temperature could not be controlled during heat races, then the car slowed down.  That problem went away with forged pistons, and the car became dead consistent.  Joe-JDC

JDC
pegleg
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Sell them to somebody building a street engine, then Get some forgings from Ted or John.The cast pistons will not last in that serious a motor. By the way 8.90's are going to be tough on gasoline. We only have three cars capable of this an they're all Professionally built.

Frank/Rebop

Bristol, In ( by Elkhart) 

PF Arcand
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
Cliff: IMHO, turning Jahn's cast pistons 8 grand wouldn't seem like a good idea. If they're similar to the ones sold many years ago, we found their specs on my buddies race engine were a bit iffy. Also, after some use, due to the design & postion of the dome, we suspected that they weren't exactly great for an even flame spread either.  Maybe best used on a hi po street engine?     

Paul
Cliff
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Hi John, yes I am planning to be there with a car, These pistons look scary to me however it looks like a few guys run them with no problems, I am building 3 motors, a short rod, a standard rod and a long rod, I may use them in the standard rod motor, I am looking to turn them to at least 8 (cast piston?), I am still waiting for some parts (crank adaptor) this is an NHRA legal car (I just passed cert for 7.50 and slower) I am going to try to run this with the big boys, I think I will have to be a better driver, I know they will be faster, all of my friends just smile when I tell them I removed a Big Chevy and going to run a 300 inch Y block Ford, It needs to run a 8.90 dial in, (I think I have a lot of learning coming)

Cliff Murray

PS My car is a 234" Spitzer
John Mummert
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Cliff, the Jahns pistons required lots of clearance, probably .007-.008". Measure the skirt, its probably 3.793". Rings are likely 5/64 5/64 3/16".
Will we see it at the West Y-Block Shootout next year???

Reading This Topic

Site Meter