Profile Picture

PCV valve conversion kit

Posted By duffer 10 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Turbocharged

Turbocharged (72 reputation)Turbocharged (72 reputation)Turbocharged (72 reputation)Turbocharged (72 reputation)Turbocharged (72 reputation)Turbocharged (72 reputation)Turbocharged (72 reputation)Turbocharged (72 reputation)Turbocharged (72 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 10 Years Ago
Has anyone put one of these pcv valves on their engines? What good does it do, and can it harm anything?
Would one have to close off the oil fill hole too some how?
Attachments
DANIEL TINDER
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
Carb. idle air screw adjustment may be in order. Since crankcase air flow will increase, better oil cap filtration may help extend engine life. The advantages of lowering crankcase pressure (oil seals) & eliminating corrosive fumes should be self evident.

6 VOLTS/POS. GRD. NW INDIANA
oldave57
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Normally aspirated (48 reputation)Normally aspirated (48 reputation)Normally aspirated (48 reputation)Normally aspirated (48 reputation)Normally aspirated (48 reputation)Normally aspirated (48 reputation)Normally aspirated (48 reputation)Normally aspirated (48 reputation)Normally aspirated (48 reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
I recently completed in installation on my 57 Fairlane with 292 engine/2 barrel carb. The kit in your attached photo would not have worked on my installation due to the 2-barrel carb, but if you have a 4-barrel carb, the kit should work fine for you. I purchased a new valley pan on Ebay that had the rear draft tube provision (my car had the draft tube located on the lower LH portion of the block) so that I could install the grommet and PCV valve in the rear location on the valley pan. I also added a 1/8" NPT hole in the intake manifold just behind the carburetor to accept a 90 degree fitting for the PCV hose, but again, you would not need to do that with your installation if you have the 4-barrel carb and can use the adapter in the photo. Also, if you have the rear draft tube location, you would not need to modify your intake manifold.

One modification I would recommend for your valley pan (even if it has the rear draft tube location) would be to braze a plug over the draft tube mounting hole in the baffle located under the grommet hole for the PCV valve. Without plugging this hole, it seems that there would be a direct path for oil splashing up into the PCV valve. I brazed a round plug over this hole so I felt better about the potential for oil splash (it may not have been a problem, but it looks like a potential path for oil).

I did not have to do any modification to the carb settings after installing the PCV valve, but others have said that a slight idle mixture adjustment might be needed. I left the original oil fill cap in place and the air flow for crankcase ventilation goes into the oil fill cap (just like the original air flow, except much more positive) and out through the PCV and back into the engine combustion.

Advantages of the PCV installation:
1) The bottom of the engine and undercarriage stays much cleaner and no longer has the oil spray associated with the draft tube.
2) The "gassy" smell in the garage after a drive is all but gone after this installation.
3) Engine leakage has all but disappeared after this installation (some of which was no doubt oil that had accumulated from the draft tube spray).

Good luck with your installation if you decide to go ahead with it.

Regards,
Dave
Threat51
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Turbocharged

Turbocharged (64 reputation)Turbocharged (64 reputation)Turbocharged (64 reputation)Turbocharged (64 reputation)Turbocharged (64 reputation)Turbocharged (64 reputation)Turbocharged (64 reputation)Turbocharged (64 reputation)Turbocharged (64 reputation)

Last Active: 9 Years Ago
Need info I have a lower draft tube also but I have the 4 barrel carb how could I hook up Pcv vale for my car 56 mercury 312? Eng.do not have the back one most are talking about
oldcarmark
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Weeks Ago
The Valley Pan with the hole suitable for PCV was originally on the T-Bird Y-Block.The Road Draft Tube was installed there as opposed to the regular side of the Engine due to ground clearance concerns.You might find one on Ebay or someone onn the Site might have one to sell.The hole is baffled underneath to prevent oil from being sucked up into the PCV.All you want is the fumes-not oil.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg
oldave57
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Normally aspirated (48 reputation)Normally aspirated (48 reputation)Normally aspirated (48 reputation)Normally aspirated (48 reputation)Normally aspirated (48 reputation)Normally aspirated (48 reputation)Normally aspirated (48 reputation)Normally aspirated (48 reputation)Normally aspirated (48 reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
You will need to obtain a PCV kit that has a spacer for your 4-barrell carb along with a PCV valve, hose, and adapter grommet that can be attached to the rear area of the valley pan. An example of this kit is the following Ebay item:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/55-56-FORD-T-BIRD-4-bbl-PCV-KIT-CARBURETOR-SPACER-HOSE-AND-VALVE-/400520912362?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d40e81dea&vxp=mtr#ht_764wt_662

You will also need to either purchase a different valley pan with the rear draft tube location or you could potentially modify your existing valley pan. This would be somewhat more difficult, but could be done by drilling the correct size hole (I believe it is 1.25" diameter) and adding a baffle compartment just under the hole like the T-Bird valley pans with the rear draft tube location have in place. You would need to do this to prevent a direct oil path to the PCV valve that would be installed in the hole in the rear area of the valley pan.

Finally, you would need to remove the original draft tube (lower left front of engine) and replace it with a cover plate to close off the opening.

Good luck,
Dave
57tbird
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
First Time Poster

First Time Poster (2 reputation)First Time Poster (2 reputation)First Time Poster (2 reputation)First Time Poster (2 reputation)First Time Poster (2 reputation)First Time Poster (2 reputation)First Time Poster (2 reputation)First Time Poster (2 reputation)First Time Poster (2 reputation)

Last Active: 6 Years Ago
957 HI,  WHERE DO I FIND A  PVC CONVERSION KIT FOR MY
              1957  312  FORD  ENGINE

THANKS  LEE
DryLakesRacer
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Not to question the need for a PCV system and how it helps the environment or engine smell, but to quote automotive engineers in 1960 when they were directed to make this change in the internal combustion engines "PCV- Positively Contaminates Valves". So I'll leave my 56 as is for now but have the proper valley cover in my stash.

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter