Profile Picture

56 side trim

Posted By montana ford man 10 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Problem Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (286 reputation)Supercharged (286 reputation)Supercharged (286 reputation)Supercharged (286 reputation)Supercharged (286 reputation)Supercharged (286 reputation)Supercharged (286 reputation)Supercharged (286 reputation)Supercharged (286 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
I'm trying to put my side trim on my 56 customline 2dr sedan.its been 18 yrs ago that my son pulled everything apart.my question is what clips do I need to order? the catalogs dont have too much detail and I would'nt have thought there would have been so many listed. I have got my rear quarters done but my doors and front fenders are a real challenge.front fender has a round hole on  each end and 3 square holes in between,  the doors have a hole each end with two rectangle holes in the middle.  I called concours and was told just order some that look right till I get what I need then send the rest back,but maybe someone has done a customline recently and knows what I need. thanks15
Rono
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Montana Man;

It's been a while since I did my side trim, but if I remember right, you will need about 3 different types of trim clips. For the square holes in the doors and fenders, that's easy. Get the rectangular trim clips with the two prongs in the middle that are the same width as your side molding. I think this clip only comes in 1 size. Put a little calk (I use 3M strip calk) on the back side around the two prongs and set the clip in the hole. The calking will keep water out of the inside of your door. Then you squeeze the prongs from the front side and that holds the clip in place. The ends of the side trim that have the round holes use the clips that have studs and are curved with little wires that hold the clip to the trim. If I remember right, these clips come in different sizes. The square end of the trim will take the larger clip and the pointed end the smaller clip. When re-installing your trim, put the top edge of the trim over the clip and then press the bottom edge over the bottom of the clip. You will hear it snap into place.  Hope this helps a little.

Rono

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/4a19e870-e870-4f63-a0a4-db5b.jpg  Ron Lane,  Meridian, ID

lyonroad
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)

Last Active: 9 Years Ago
The Dennis Carpenter and Mac's catalog have pictures of most of the clips.  I used the ones that Rono is talking about, getting a variety of sizes.  I only had to order a few of the specific ones that Rono also mentioned (the really wide ones ones that go in the square holes).  My car is a '55 but the principle is the same.

Still in Newport Rono?

Mark

1956 Mercury M100
1955 Ford Fairlane Club Sedan
Delta, British Columbia
Rono
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Mark;

I'll be leaving for sunny California the end of June.

Rono

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/4a19e870-e870-4f63-a0a4-db5b.jpg  Ron Lane,  Meridian, ID

montana ford man
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (286 reputation)Supercharged (286 reputation)Supercharged (286 reputation)Supercharged (286 reputation)Supercharged (286 reputation)Supercharged (286 reputation)Supercharged (286 reputation)Supercharged (286 reputation)Supercharged (286 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
thanks so much for your help. I just have the doors and front fenders to do.I see the ones you're talking about.it has been a challenge to put a car back together that was in parts to start with. thanks again

Reading This Topic

Site Meter