Profile Picture

Battery Size

Posted By clausskou 10 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Normally aspirated (41 reputation)Normally aspirated (41 reputation)Normally aspirated (41 reputation)Normally aspirated (41 reputation)Normally aspirated (41 reputation)Normally aspirated (41 reputation)Normally aspirated (41 reputation)Normally aspirated (41 reputation)Normally aspirated (41 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Hi

Can anyone the correct battery size for a Ford Fairlane 1957. The old one was too small for the tray and did move around occasionally. Yesterday I gave up recharging - could not keep charge. Now I want a better fitting battery. So can anyone advise which size to look for? 

Best regards,

Claus
oldave57
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Normally aspirated (48 reputation)Normally aspirated (48 reputation)Normally aspirated (48 reputation)Normally aspirated (48 reputation)Normally aspirated (48 reputation)Normally aspirated (48 reputation)Normally aspirated (48 reputation)Normally aspirated (48 reputation)Normally aspirated (48 reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
The battery I have in my 57 Fairlane 500 (replaced about a year ago) is a Duralast Group # 24DLG. The battery fits the tray pretty well and I have used a generic hold-down bracket that works well also. I would send photos, but can't seem to get them attached to this website since the newer version was released. The terminals with the 24DLG are on the outboard (fender side) of the battery with the positive at the rear and negative at the front.

Regards,
Dave
clausskou
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Normally aspirated (41 reputation)Normally aspirated (41 reputation)Normally aspirated (41 reputation)Normally aspirated (41 reputation)Normally aspirated (41 reputation)Normally aspirated (41 reputation)Normally aspirated (41 reputation)Normally aspirated (41 reputation)Normally aspirated (41 reputation)

Thanks. In stead of a photo, would you mind sending me the measurements of your battery?.

Best regards,

Claus
pegleg
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)

If you take the dimensions of your battery tray to a reputable auto store they will match it up. Make sure to gat the height as well as length and width.

Frank/Rebop

Bristol, In ( by Elkhart) 

58rancho
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (98 reputation)Supercharged (98 reputation)Supercharged (98 reputation)Supercharged (98 reputation)Supercharged (98 reputation)Supercharged (98 reputation)Supercharged (98 reputation)Supercharged (98 reputation)Supercharged (98 reputation)

Last Active: 7 Years Ago
I got a correct size battery for my 58 from Interstate.  It is a group 29.  They had to special order it, but it fits perfectly.  I think the 57 and 58 are the same!
Good luck, James Q.
oldave57
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Normally aspirated (48 reputation)Normally aspirated (48 reputation)Normally aspirated (48 reputation)Normally aspirated (48 reputation)Normally aspirated (48 reputation)Normally aspirated (48 reputation)Normally aspirated (48 reputation)Normally aspirated (48 reputation)Normally aspirated (48 reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
The battery in my Fairlane (Autozone Duralast 24 DLG) has the following dimensions:
10.25" Long, 8" High, 6.75" Wide

The Autozone website lists several batteries that are supposed to fit the 57 Ford, including a 24F DLG size (they actually don't list the battery I have in my car which is a 24 DLG). I think the difference between the 24F DLG and 24 DLG has to do with the placement of the positive and negative posts. As I indicated in my earlier post, the battery in my car has the posts to the outboard side with the positive post to the rear and the negative post to the front, which seems to work out well for the connection of the positive & negative cables. The positive cable has a short run from the rear positive post to the starter solenoid on the fender. The negative cable runs from the engine around the front of the battery to the negative post ( I did replace the negative cable when I installed the battery with a slightly longer one as I remember).

Good luck with your battery search. I'm sure almost any good battery brand will do fine for you.

Regards,
Dave

Reading This Topic

Site Meter