Profile Picture

Temperature sender

Posted By DryLakesRacer 10 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Question Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Replacing sender.

Should I put sealer on it or leave the threads in the head and sender clean.

Does it needed to have the body of the sender grounded to work properly?

Anyone ever attached an ohmeter to the sender and heat it up in water with a thermometer and see the value change? The new one is 46 ohms and the one I'm replacing is 41 ohms. The gauge was never very steady and I blamed it on the thermostat opening and closing. It is a high flow 160 degree unit.........Thanks

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
paul2748
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
The sender is grounded by the threads.

Never did an ohm check

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

Ted
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 days ago
As a general rule, brass on brass does not need any sealer.  For those applications that are not brass on brass, then I like to use Teflon tape.  By lieu of the tapered thread design of the pipe threads, there will still be some metal to metal contact even when using sealer or Teflon tape on the threads.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

DryLakesRacer
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Installed the new one (46 ohms) and it took forever to come off the "C" . Drained down the coolant and reinstalled the original (41 ohms) I put Perm #2 on the top 2 threads just a precaution. Temp gauge stays near the mid range now without much movement and went up as the car heated up. As stated on another thread; reading with a infrared gun the brass on the sender reads about 15* cooler than the the thermostat housing and that's after 20 minutes of driving.

Now I need to go after the PS control valve leak since I fixed the pump leak...One thing after another......JD

lyonroad
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)

Last Active: 9 Years Ago
Don't worry JD, it never ends.  That way you always have something to do and if you pay yourself you'll be rich.

Mark

1956 Mercury M100
1955 Ford Fairlane Club Sedan
Delta, British Columbia
DryLakesRacer
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Since I mentioned the power steering leak after 2 years all of the P/S problems are hopefully handled. One thing I hate are leaks and the P/S seems to have plagued me for 2+ years. Originally the control valve did not work properly but was repaired when a small burr was found; then minor leaks showed up. The hoses were original or very old so they were changed and less oil was noticed. While doing othe engine work I noticed red oil under the pump when wiped with a white paper towel. So off it came and a new seal kit installed by a brake/steering shop near me. I was hoping the dripping would have stopped off the threaded end of the control valve, in my mind it was coming from the pump and going down the hoses. No such luck.
With a repaired pump the leak was still there. I had bought a seal kit from C & G so I took off the control valve and went back to the same shop to have it looked at. They are able to test all control valves before it's given back. I measured everything and even counted threads too to put it back where it was and now no leaks................:<Wink  

I wonder what will be next....not complaining just wondering...JD

DryLakesRacer
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

With all the above I believe I believe actually have my temp gauge/sending unit problem cured.  First the car looked like it heated up in stop and go traffic didn't think it was real but bothered me anyway with the sender bought with the car needle would go past the line aiming at the H. New sender installed read too low for me; 160 was just moving the needle. I remember the 56 we had new and it never had a temp problem. I got the idea to run the engine with the rad cap off and a thermometer in the rad. I would add and remove a piece of card board in front of the rad to assist the engine getting hot and take readings. I noticed especially in gear at idle when the temp on the thermometer was at 180-190 there was hardly any water movement if I put in neutral it would move some but not much; putting the carb high idle on the first spot made it much better and the temp would come down.

OK I gave up....I read back on other posts and went and bought a Mustang 5+" pulley to replace the 7+" stocker. Gauge still drove me bats but the water flow was great at idle after the thermostat opened and temp normalized. Had to add a 1/8" spacer to the pump and shorter belt The car is a cruiser rarely on the hyway for long periods.

To "fix" the gauge I swallowed my pride and bought a NOS 1956 Ford Temperature sender jn the original box. Installed it and much to my shagrin everything works as designed. 160* is about 1/4" left of center. 175* is straight up and 200* is just short of the end of the line. All checked with no cap and and a thermometer. 2 years ago i installed  a high flow thermostat and a plug in the bypass with an 1/8" hole drilled in it. All of that helped but I do believe the pulley was the real answer at least for me and that NOS sender .....What's next?

As a side note I bought a really nice ABS fan shroud from Southwest Thunderbird in Texas that I thought would cure my ills. Apparently the stock 56 Ford power steering pulley or pump snout has 2 different ones or mine is wrong; it is tapered and not flat and the shroud would not fit, I also had a problem because the shroud needs the fan mounted directly on the water pump pulley but when I tried this the fan hit the lower crank pulley. I never noticed but when the gentleman who built the car had a third pulley on the crank;  actually a 2 pulley mounted on a single pulley. This is OK by me if the heat problem is truly gone I can now add A/C which maybe why he did it. Anyway I spent a day sanding and filling the ABS to look like metal and now I have a nice "garage hanger" primered and ready to paint.

2721955meteor
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

sounds like you have screwed up the design of the cooling system. ther is nothing wrong with 180degrees,blocking the bypas is bad,you creat cavitation,as when stat closed poor circulation  in the engine. i have 2 gauges 1 in the back of the head which always is a few deg cooler.the 1 wher henry put in was never toatly acurate. i drilled and taped int at therm (engine side of therm) on hot day it will hit 200. 200 is not a problem as that area is hotest part. but block the bypass and you realy do not know what the temp is as steam does not activat temp gauge properly. clean rad proper shrouding and fan will not over heat. with air cond you need more air flow in hot humid arias. this is a well discused blog ( just my opinion) buy a cheap heat gun and do your tests it will be interesting. elect guages ar not very acurate.
DryLakesRacer
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Meteor..I don't believe I screwed it up. The 1/2" bypass is just too much in my opinion. Even after the thermostat opens too much water is bypassing the radiator and continues to heat up the entire system. I have been using a thermo gun the entire time and agree that the back of the head is never as hot as the crossover in front or the thermostat housing. I like the 175* right in the middle of the gauge but before I sped up the water with the new pulley the water would creep up to 200 and continue going up only reving a few hundred RPM in neutral would help. The rad is new and the max cool I could buy. I live a few miles from where they are made and discussed what was best for my use. I read everything I could here and thought of each of the remedies. I don't believe the Ford ever had a fan shroud so that would have been a bandaid too but it was going to look like something that Ford would have done.  As for adding gauges I would just rather not. As long as I know there is no air pockets and what the inside gauge reads to what the thermometer says directly in the water I'm happy. It also has a 7 pound cap which pushes the boiling point up a bit...I shall see as the summer goes on and I cruise in traffic when it's 90* out.....JD 

2721955meteor
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

It may be benificiel if you read about heat rejection and the desighn of cooling systems. pushing water threw a rad faster does not increase the efficiency.the water is cooled by going threw in a controled time. Air flow is a major isue. the heat is rejected by air flow threw the rad.even 210 leaving the therm is not harmfull. it is posible your therm is slow to fulley open. that is wher the bypass eliminates cavitation ,the desighn is to keep a constant temp in the engine. my thery is from reading factual enjenering data ,and applying the info in many hot rod builds as well as several y block powered restos. plus 36 years in heavey equ repairs,with lots of heating isues.But if you are hapey with what you have acomplished that is all great .I should try not to be so abrupt and did not try to be rude ,just offer some help. have read a lot of miss info on cooling system cures on this as well as other sites,also some good info, especialy ifo from dyno results,but dynoes usually have huge cooling capacity,un like our old cars

Reading This Topic

Site Meter