Profile Picture

Oiling mods.

Posted By DANIEL TINDER 16 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 16 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Yesterday
Thanks Ted,

While Verne claims heads should not flood with full pressurization if rockers/shafts aren't worn, your theory re: air/sludge/cooling makes a lot of sense (first time I have heard it).

I notice your restrictor spec. for street motor smaller than FoMoCo 12/63 service letter (5/64th), or John Mummert's YBM article on the subject (1/16th)? I was always afraid a piece of sludge would clog the restriction, and cause severe wear before I caught it. I now think the trade-off in oil pressure may be worth the risk.

6 VOLTS/POS. GRD. NW INDIANA
DANIEL TINDER
Posted 16 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)

Oops! .110" is larger than 5/64th, not smaller. Not enough coffee yet today.

Nick Brann
Posted 16 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (166 reputation)Supercharged (166 reputation)Supercharged (166 reputation)Supercharged (166 reputation)Supercharged (166 reputation)Supercharged (166 reputation)Supercharged (166 reputation)Supercharged (166 reputation)Supercharged (166 reputation)

Last Active: 12 Years Ago
Daniel and all,

Thanks for bringing up this topic.  I've been thinking that my engine is sucking a little too much oil around the intake valves.  I'm running a pair of restricted return tubes, I pinched them down around a small drill bit.  We also cut the center groove deeper on my Schneider cam and I've got the old umbrella valve seals.  Now I'm going to go back to the stock return tubes and also install a set of the old baffles under the rocker arms.  I've got a longer set of pushrods to get the rocker geometry closer to where it should be. 

You mention an article by John Mummert in YBM re. these return tubes- I don't remember seeing it.  Could you give me an idea as to when it appeared?  I can look through my back issues but there are about 14 years worth of them, according to Bruce's notes in the #84 issue that just came today.  Thanks to Ted for a couple of interesting articles in this issue, it saddens me that they wouldn't accept his Y block (2007 Engine Master Challenge)because of the mushroom lifters. 

Have fun, Nick Brann/ K.C., MO

Ted
Posted 16 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Last Week
Nick Brann (3/5/2008)
Now I'm going to go back to the stock return tubes and also install a set of the old baffles under the rocker arms.

Total agreement on putting the valve spring baffles back in place under the rockers.  They do a good job of directing oil away from the guides especially in those cases where umbrella seals are being used.  This is one item that I always seem to be short of as most core engines I receive do not have these on them.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

DANIEL TINDER
Posted 16 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Nick,

The Mummert article is "Rocker Arm Oiling" from a few years back. It's the one where he describes increasing the groove depth in cam journals (thus the needed restriction).

rgrove
Posted 16 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (576 reputation)Supercharged (576 reputation)Supercharged (576 reputation)Supercharged (576 reputation)Supercharged (576 reputation)Supercharged (576 reputation)Supercharged (576 reputation)Supercharged (576 reputation)Supercharged (576 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Ted (3/6/2008)
Nick Brann (3/5/2008)
Now I'm going to go back to the stock return tubes and also install a set of the old baffles under the rocker arms.

Total agreement on putting the valve spring baffles back in place under the rockers.  They do a good job of directing oil away from the guides especially in those cases where umbrella seals are being used.  This is one item that I always seem to be short of as most core engines I receive do not have these on them.

Sorry for the stupid question, but WTH are the valve spring baffles?  Im not sure my engine ever had these, but I do have a problem with oil consumption (using OE umbrella guides).  Machine shop that worked on my heads told me that I didnt need the triangular shaped plates that were on each end of the stands, and that I should get rid of the tubes on the end of the rocker assy.  They threaded the holes and plugged them.  So should I get new tubes and replace the plugs?  Were the originals threaded, or do I now have to go buy a little brake line and make these?

Any thoughts are appreciated!  I really wish I would have found this site when I was building the engine... would have saved me a lot of grief, methinks....

Ron Grove

Wauconda, IL

DANIEL TINDER
Posted 16 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

rgrove,

When reviewing this link (Ted provided from the other post), I noticed you got no response to your question re: drain tubes/drip plates.

Drain tubes are readily obtained/cheap, and should still fit fine (not threaded) where your guy tapped the holes (unless he drilled way oversize to fit an available tap). They are also handy for lining up the rocker shafts/oil holes when assembling everything.

You should check geometry before installing drip plates (.040" thick). If the shafts are already too high, guide wear might be a problem unless you mill the pedestal pads or rocker supports (see Ted's YBM geometry articles).

HoLun
Posted 16 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (232 reputation)Supercharged (232 reputation)Supercharged (232 reputation)Supercharged (232 reputation)Supercharged (232 reputation)Supercharged (232 reputation)Supercharged (232 reputation)Supercharged (232 reputation)Supercharged (232 reputation)

Is anyone making repo baffles? i could use a set for my heads, even with the restricted oil flow to the head, i still get the occicasional smoke screen oil burning action at the drive thrus.

Ted
Posted 16 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Last Week
HoLun (4/3/2008)
Is anyone making repo baffles? i could use a set for my heads, even with the restricted oil flow to the head, i still get the occicasional smoke screen oil burning action at the drive thrus.

HoLun,

I’m not aware of any repro spring baffles for the Y but some sifting at the local bone yards in your area should net you a set.  Don’t forget those truck salvage yards as many of those older trucks with the Y used the spring baffles also.  The baffles in the OHV engines (317, 302, 332) are a slightly different design and do not fit the Y.  Unfortunately with the price of scrap iron going through the roof, I picture a good number of the engines that have been sitting dormant for years in these yards heading for the smelter.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

rgrove
Posted 16 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (576 reputation)Supercharged (576 reputation)Supercharged (576 reputation)Supercharged (576 reputation)Supercharged (576 reputation)Supercharged (576 reputation)Supercharged (576 reputation)Supercharged (576 reputation)Supercharged (576 reputation)

DANIEL TINDER (3/30/2008)
rgrove,

When reviewing this link (Ted provided from the other post), I noticed you got no response to your question re: drain tubes/drip plates.
Drain tubes are readily obtained/cheap, and should still fit fine (not threaded) where your guy tapped the holes (unless he drilled way oversize to fit an available tap). They are also handy for lining up the rocker shafts/oil holes when assembling everything.
You should check geometry before installing drip plates (.040" thick). If the shafts are already too high, guide wear might be a problem unless you mill the pedestal pads or rocker supports (see Ted's YBM geometry articles).

THANKS for the response.  I got the drain tubes; going to install them today.  However, do you know if Teds geometry articles are available on line?  Ive been derelict in retaining old copies and renewing my YBM subscription....OOPS!! Never mind; I found it on Teds web site... what a great source of information!!  THANKS!

Ron Grove

Wauconda, IL

Reading This Topic

Site Meter