Oiling mods.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic10464.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By DANIEL TINDER - 16 Years Ago
I'm curious what the current general consensus is re: pressurizing the rocker shafts, and drilling/grooving the block valley. I've heard a lot of pros & cons over the years, and wonder what the pro builders do for a street motor? (Verne Schumann is a fanatic about both). Worth the trouble?
By Unibodyguy - 16 Years Ago
This is what I did on one of my motors. When doing a valve adjustment and valve cover replacement. A friend of mine that has/builds all kinds of motors suggested that I take the rocker shaft return line and pinch it down to pressurize the rocker arms. Well what I ended up doing was accually reducing down the return line with a much smaller one so it somewhat pressurized the rocker arms. I had very good oil pressure before, like 30-32 lbs at idle. After that it went up to like 40-42 lbs. I was really surprised what a differencce it made and how much quieter the motor  was, but I suppose the adjustment helped a heck of a lot too.

Michael

Ted,

Could you elaborate re: your reasoning for NOT pressurizing the shafts? (In my case, I was always afraid that oil would flood the valves if not directed straight down the pushrod/drain holes).

Michael,

Do you know the ID of the smaller drain tubes you installed?
By davis - 16 Years Ago
i'm new here, are the drain tubes the U tubes that go from the top of the shaft and point down at the ends of the rocker shafts? I know the FE guys would insert holley jets to resttrict oil flow in the heads to prevent oil flooding the valves.

but then FE's do have oil baffles under the shafts.

thanks for the input, i'm trying to figure this out as the thread moves on.
By John F - 16 Years Ago
This may be a dumb question but, what are you using to restrict the oil flow into the rocker shafts?
By Unibodyguy - 16 Years Ago
Daniel,

what I basically did was join two brake lines togther with one being smaller.  I did this by taking the tube down to a Car Quest store and matching things up.  Pretty straight forward.

Michael

Thanks Ted,

While Verne claims heads should not flood with full pressurization if rockers/shafts aren't worn, your theory re: air/sludge/cooling makes a lot of sense (first time I have heard it).

I notice your restrictor spec. for street motor smaller than FoMoCo 12/63 service letter (5/64th), or John Mummert's YBM article on the subject (1/16th)? I was always afraid a piece of sludge would clog the restriction, and cause severe wear before I caught it. I now think the trade-off in oil pressure may be worth the risk.
Oops! .110" is larger than 5/64th, not smaller. Not enough coffee yet today.
By Nick Brann - 16 Years Ago
Daniel and all,

Thanks for bringing up this topic.  I've been thinking that my engine is sucking a little too much oil around the intake valves.  I'm running a pair of restricted return tubes, I pinched them down around a small drill bit.  We also cut the center groove deeper on my Schneider cam and I've got the old umbrella valve seals.  Now I'm going to go back to the stock return tubes and also install a set of the old baffles under the rocker arms.  I've got a longer set of pushrods to get the rocker geometry closer to where it should be. 

You mention an article by John Mummert in YBM re. these return tubes- I don't remember seeing it.  Could you give me an idea as to when it appeared?  I can look through my back issues but there are about 14 years worth of them, according to Bruce's notes in the #84 issue that just came today.  Thanks to Ted for a couple of interesting articles in this issue, it saddens me that they wouldn't accept his Y block (2007 Engine Master Challenge)because of the mushroom lifters. 

Have fun, Nick Brann/ K.C., MO

Nick,

The Mummert article is "Rocker Arm Oiling" from a few years back. It's the one where he describes increasing the groove depth in cam journals (thus the needed restriction).
By rgrove - 16 Years Ago
Ted (3/6/2008)
Nick Brann (3/5/2008)
Now I'm going to go back to the stock return tubes and also install a set of the old baffles under the rocker arms.

Total agreement on putting the valve spring baffles back in place under the rockers.  They do a good job of directing oil away from the guides especially in those cases where umbrella seals are being used.  This is one item that I always seem to be short of as most core engines I receive do not have these on them.

Sorry for the stupid question, but WTH are the valve spring baffles?  Im not sure my engine ever had these, but I do have a problem with oil consumption (using OE umbrella guides).  Machine shop that worked on my heads told me that I didnt need the triangular shaped plates that were on each end of the stands, and that I should get rid of the tubes on the end of the rocker assy.  They threaded the holes and plugged them.  So should I get new tubes and replace the plugs?  Were the originals threaded, or do I now have to go buy a little brake line and make these?

Any thoughts are appreciated!  I really wish I would have found this site when I was building the engine... would have saved me a lot of grief, methinks....

rgrove,

When reviewing this link (Ted provided from the other post), I noticed you got no response to your question re: drain tubes/drip plates.

Drain tubes are readily obtained/cheap, and should still fit fine (not threaded) where your guy tapped the holes (unless he drilled way oversize to fit an available tap). They are also handy for lining up the rocker shafts/oil holes when assembling everything.

You should check geometry before installing drip plates (.040" thick). If the shafts are already too high, guide wear might be a problem unless you mill the pedestal pads or rocker supports (see Ted's YBM geometry articles).
By HoLun - 16 Years Ago
Is anyone making repo baffles? i could use a set for my heads, even with the restricted oil flow to the head, i still get the occicasional smoke screen oil burning action at the drive thrus.
By rgrove - 16 Years Ago
DANIEL TINDER (3/30/2008)
rgrove,

When reviewing this link (Ted provided from the other post), I noticed you got no response to your question re: drain tubes/drip plates.
Drain tubes are readily obtained/cheap, and should still fit fine (not threaded) where your guy tapped the holes (unless he drilled way oversize to fit an available tap). They are also handy for lining up the rocker shafts/oil holes when assembling everything.
You should check geometry before installing drip plates (.040" thick). If the shafts are already too high, guide wear might be a problem unless you mill the pedestal pads or rocker supports (see Ted's YBM geometry articles).

THANKS for the response.  I got the drain tubes; going to install them today.  However, do you know if Teds geometry articles are available on line?  Ive been derelict in retaining old copies and renewing my YBM subscription....OOPS!! Never mind; I found it on Teds web site... what a great source of information!!  THANKS!

Ted,

Photos from the articles show a dial indicator jig/tool that slips over the rocker to measure open/closed contact variation. Is that a home made adapter, or a part that can be ordered? When I try to take those measurements free-hand (with a digital caliper) on OEM type rockers, I always get different/inconsistent #s.

Also, still trying to get a handle on what stem/seat-height variation tolerance is acceptable?

Many thanks Ted,

Will add that tool to my growing list of reasons to get up early for swap-meet/flea-market shopping!

Also trying to track down a telescoping, spring-height barrel micrometer that will fit over a stock Y-block guide boss. Do you know of a source?
Thanks Ted,

Do you know if these tools are made to order? If so, the height mic. could be cut a bit shorter, and the cut # added back to dial #s. I think 1.8" minimum might be too tall to be useful for many Y-block springs, unless the spring seats have been machined deeper?

Re: the min. guide clearance specs you once provided for bronze/stainless (.002"IN/.003"EX): I found a YBM article where J. Mummert set up a mild performance motor (?) with .0018" on both. Would YOU still stay with your clearance rec. if for a grocery-getter motor, or were you thinking full-blown race specs?
Ted,

The specs. provided on that eBay listing link are 1.6"-2.1" (?), (not 1.8"-2.2"). Seller says custom tool cost too prohibitive. Gave him my boss measurements so he can double check fit. Will see what happens.

Re: bronze/stainless guide clearance specs.; wouldn't a fresh motor likely run hot until it's broken in? Maybe J.M.'s customer wanted longevity as top priority, and he felt secure enough that with good geometry, cam-lifter quality, and his level of break-in experience/attention, it was worth taking the risk?

In my case, I've decided my current .0015" exhaust clearance probably insufficient, and will likely hone them another .001" at least.
By Duck - 15 Years Ago
Fellas- I've read and re-read the pressurized rocker shaft threads several times now and this is my question; If I don't do the camshaft groove mod, I won't have the increased oil volume to contend with.Correct? I'll only have the amount of oil in the rocker boxes that the factory intended- That's GOOD because I'm using OE "umbrella" seals. If I pressurize the rocker shafts ALA Tim's mod,(no overflow tubes) and add the "cross grooves" and reinstall the OE triangular oil "drip trays", I shouldn't have a situation where I have excess oil to the point of oil infiltrating the valve stem guides (and the excess oil consumption that would go along with that)- Correct? Or would I need to retain the overflow tubes to insure I don't flood the rocker boxes with oil? Any info/ opinions are appreciated- thanks /Duck

By ejstith - 15 Years Ago
Are there pictures of all of this stuff somewhere? Back in the day, mid 60's I built up a 312 and I didn't do any of this stuff and it held together and ran like a bat out of hell for the day ..
By mctim64 - 15 Years Ago
Guys,

I don't want to cause any problems for anyone interested in rebuilding their rocker assemblies the way I have demonstrated in my Video. I see a few discussions pop up from time to time so I know it has been on the minds of some.

I would like to start by saying that I have used this set up with no problems so far in my engines, this is with a grooved center cam journal, new valves & guides, and very clean heads. After reading some of the concerns I freely admit there could be a problem in certain cases. If you have grooved the block behind the center cam bearing and have no restriction to the rockers this could fill the head faster than the oil can drain back. If you don't have the overflow tubes and the return passages are clogged partially with sludge the oil will not drain back fast enough, and if your valve guides have noticeable wear this could cause smoking in any case.

I'm not trying to convert the "Y" world to my way of thinking, if you have good clean parts and passages go ahead and use the overflow tubes.  I'm sure your engine will work fine, they have for decades.   I do however think it is a good idea to cut a small groove across the oil hole on the shafts for better oil distribution no mater which way you go.

By davis - 15 Years Ago
and to also note, FE rocker shafts did get a diagonal groove across the oiling hole. so Ford engineers were also wise to that.

(that may have already been mentioned in the thread) -
OK Guys,

I'm still not trying to say that using the overflow tube is a bad thing, but I don't think that pressurizing is bad either. After all the FE and the MEL are that way so the Ford engineers thought it Was a good idea. So give this a look.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTdmD0sQbx4&feature=channel_page

By Duck - 15 Years Ago
Neat!- Thanks, Tim! /Duck
By simplyconnected - 15 Years Ago

This 292 rocker shaft ass'y hasn't seen oil in many miles of operation.  It's pure stock original.

Those two little tiny holes in the rocker arms?  I had a hard time finding them.  ALL were packed with dirt and varnish.  ZERO oil flowed through these rocker arms (and the shafts were screwed).  All the oil simply drained down the overflow tubes.  The section of shaft that wasn't in the oil path was full of sludge, like heavy bearing grease.

Tim McMaster's video bears compelling witness; it shows plenty of return drain without flooding valve stem towers, at 4,000 RPM.  That's impressive!  Good job, McMaster.

Now that I have new shafts and clean rockers, I will pressurize the shafts, causing positive rocker arm oil flow & healthy (increased) oil system pressure.  By stark contrast to the original method, any piece of dirt (or air) will be pushed out by 45-lbs. of oil pressure instead of lodging forever.

Pressure is produced by restriction to flow. Simply opening the oil to a drain tube is the WORST thing the engine engineers could have done.  Another oil-choked area is the timing chain set.

Dave Dare

Welcome to the site Dave,

Thank you for the vote of confidence on the rocker mods. I assume you will be doing more than just replacing the rocker assemblies on this engine. If your shafts are worn for lack of oil I can only guess that the guides, and the rest of the heads for that matter, have seen better days.

mctim64 (3/26/2009)
Welcome to the site Dave,

Thank you for the vote of confidence on the rocker mods. I assume you will be doing more than just replacing the rocker assemblies on this engine. If your shafts are worn for lack of oil I can only guess that the guides, and the rest of the heads for that matter, have seen better days.

Thank You, Tim.  Your video speaks for itself, and is EXACTLY what I wanted to see.  I am doing a major overhaul on this 292. This is the block (last week):

I just left my my machine shop.  They boiled, magnafluxed, and shot blasted this block.  Today, they bored  the cylinders .060".  They are installing new hardened exhaust seats, and grinding all the valves and seats.  Surprisingly, the guides look pretty good, and so do the valves.  Of course, if I need anything replaced, I will.

I bought it from a guy in Massachusetts who is parting-out his '59 Galaxie.  Being an "unknown" engine, I had already planned to rebuild it before its arrival.  The seller said he drove his Galaxie into the garage, with intentions of restoring the car.  When he found the frame rotted away, he stopped the project and began selling everything off.

My '59 Galaxie has three on the tree; something my wife asked me to convert to automatic.  So, I got his 292 (w/1.9" intake valves), his Cruise-o-matic (that I'm rebuilding in two weeks), brake pedal assembly, driveshaft, and the whole steering column assembly including gearbox and pitman arm.
Here's my Galaxie:

I found a good Elgin ROLLER timing chain set (made in Elgin, Illinois), and a set of oil pump rotors.  Actually, I tried to get some prices from John Mummert; two days ago I called but got a voice mail recording which said all his phones are busy, but please leave a number and someone would call back.  Never happened.  Oh well, I bought my parts now, so, no need.

My next search will be for a 4*-offset cam key.  I'm sure they're out there, I just have to find one.  By the way, all the lower-end parts were beautiful.  Lifters and cam look like new, all the crank pins and mains measure and look great!  The rings had .100"-200" end gaps, oil pump was real 'tired', and the umbrella seals traveled with the stems.  You know about the rocker shafts.  I was very lucky to save the rocker arms, now they are on new shafts, and they feel good.  - Dave

By pcmenten - 15 Years Ago
Look for a Chevy 6 cyl. offset key. Someone makes them.

You've come to the right place for help. There are a lot of knowledgeable, helpful people here.

I recently had a 59 block into the machine shop. I was going for a zero-deck with my pistons. The machinist found that the head surface was all over the place. Do a search on this site for 'zero-deck' or similar and you can find the information.

Sounds like you've got the good 113 heads.

If you haven't already found the site, Dennis Carpenter sells good parts cheap. Dennis Carpenter
pcmenten (3/26/2009)

If you haven't already found the site, Dennis Carpenter sells good parts cheap. Dennis Carpenter

I have been sending people to Dennis for a while now but I have also had a few problems with his NOS stuff lately. Not a bad problem just stuff marked/boxed wrong, it creates a hassle when you go to assemble something and find they have sent you the wrong part and it takes another week to get the right one. (I'm on the left side of the country)  In his defence, they have always replaced the part no questions asked. But it's the time thing.

simplyconnected (3/26/2009)
[quote][b]

My next search will be for a 4*-offset cam key.  I'm sure they're out there, I just have to find one.  By the way, all the lower-end parts were beautiful.  Lifters and cam look like new, all the crank pins and mains measure and look great!  The rings had .100"-200" end gaps, oil pump was real 'tired', and the umbrella seals traveled with the stems.  You know about the rocker shafts.  I was very lucky to save the rocker arms, now they are on new shafts, and they feel good.  - Dave

Beautiful car Dave,

The Y cam key is a little smaller than the chebbie crank key, I have found that you can file an offset key for the Y out of an SBC crank key.  It's not that hard. But remember, 4 degrees on the cam is 8 on the crank.

Even if they look OK I think you should install new Ex valves. There is a couple of guys on this site that can tell you about the regrets of installing used ones.   w00t

Thanks again, Tim.  I found Mr. Gasket keys on Amazon for just over two bucks each!  If they're a little big, I can take it down a bit.  Even if I get 3* I'm happy.

In my old Pontiac days, I used to install 6* keys, purchased from Royal Pontiac (dealership in Royal Oak, MI).  Being high school kids, we rarely ran our cars on the expressways, so having the torque curve at low-to-mid rpm was the cat's @$$.  (Especially on Woodward Ave.)

My Galaxie won't be taking too many long trips.  In fact, it only comes out for cruises.  Around town, it makes sense to have lots of low-end torque, especially for a heavy car.

My valves and guides are worn a little.  I'm on the fence.  To do my heads properly (all new springs, guides, valves, exhaust seats, and machine the towers for viton seals), will cost a fortune.  Again, they are marginally worn and I'm on the fence.  This isn't a race car, it's a cruiser.  So, I've decided to keep the guides, install hard ex seats, and grind all the valves and seats.  I am also machining guide towers for viton seals and installing new springs.  I thought of ARP rod bolts, but I nixed that because I don't believe they're worth over $60 ($3.75 EACH BOLT).  The old EBU bolts will do just fine.

It turns out, we had to bore the cylinders .060" which will bring my compression ratio over 9:1.  No block deck or head machining.  I'm real good with that, and I'm good with the 2-bbl it came with.  I don't need 750cu.ft. of air @ 660 ft above sea level (to cruise).

I'm contemplating moly rings, just because they last so much longer.  Most new cars come with moly rings, and they all get 150k miles (at least).  Down the road I'll install a Pertronix ignition.  - Dave

The 5/16-18 tap ran down that aluminum rocker shaft stand like butter.  Now my rocker arm shafts have slots ground across the bottom oil holes, and the overflow tube holes are replaced with bolts.  I ground the threads off the ends of the bolts, so they go into the shafts for positive location.  I was careful not to leave metal chips in the rocker arm shafts, by blowing air through the oil inlet hole.

I fully expect my oil pressure will improve, and the rocker arms will squirt oil at 40-psi.  The pressure will keep them clear of varnish and residual dirt.

Head machining is expensive (but necessary).  Heads are the single most important and technical piece of the Y-Block.  They're done boring the block .060", now, it's a respectable 300-cubic inches.  The heads are being machined for hard exhaust seats, the guide towers (to accept viton seals), and all valves and seats are being ground.  New springs were $1.25/ea.

All sheet metal went out for chrome, yes, including rocker covers with the "FORD" emboss, valley cover, down tube, dipstick and tube, and other hardware (generator brackets, side cover, oil filler cap, etc).

I will paint the block black as soon as I get it (and the heads) back.  I can't wait to assemble this engine with moly rings, a real roller chain set, and Clevite-77 bearings.

By Hoosier Hurricane - 16 Years Ago
Opinions are wanted here, so here's mine.  I feel the overflow tubes are there to make sure the rocker shafts are always full of oil, but not under pressure.  This supplies drip oiling to the rockers.  It seems to be adequate on all my Ys, even my Crane cammed 6500 rpm supercharged engine with stock 1.54 rockers.  I feel that if the tubes are blocked, then all the oil to the rocker area would have to try to drain away via the two small drain holes in the ends of the heads.  They don't have enough capacity, therefore the oil level can rise in the rocker cover area until it can drain through the pushrod holes.  At that point, the oil level is above the tops of the valve guides.  I also use the grooved block plus the restrictors as Ted explained above.  Without the restrictors I flooded the rocker area even with the overflow tubes in place.

John in Selma, IN

By Hoosier Hurricane - 15 Years Ago
Duck:

You asked for opinions, here's mine.  I use the overflow tubes.  That insures a good flow of oil through the shafts to help keep them cool.  The excess oil flowing through the overflow tubes and down the pushrod hole does not overload the stock drain holes in the head, so it doesn't flood the head.  Ford designed the rockers to be "drip" oiled from the oil filled shafts, and I have found that to be fine, even with my 95/250 pound valve springs.  I know Tim, Ted, and others have different opinions, and I will not discount their methods if it works for them. 

By Ted - 16 Years Ago

Here's my two cents worth.

I have drilled the additional oiling holes in the valley only to be surprised how much oil is actually thrown up out of those holes under full throttle.  I had a clear cover over the valley while dyno testing which permitted me to observe what was happening in this area under throttle.  There’s obviously enough oil to the camshaft without the additional oil holes in the valley but there is some crankcase pressure relief taking place which would allow oil to flow to the back of the block easier and drain to the crankcase via that route.  Without the additional holes, the only pressure relief from the crankcase is happening from the two small holes at the front of the block and the distributor hole cavity.

Although I haven’t seen it happen, the potential for cracking a block down its middle is intensified in a high horsepower application when drilling the valley with a multitude of small holes.

I’m also in favor of grooving the block in the center cam journal so that the three oil holes are interconnected.  The cam bearing then just presses in place over this modification.  At this point, it’s just a simple matter of putting a restrictor in the rocker arm pedestal to control the amount of oil going to the rockers.  On the race engines, I’ve experimented with as small as 0.062” while on street drivers I’ve had this restrictor as large as 0.110”.  I still use the oil drain back tubes on the shafts to allow the oil to free flow through the system rather than pinch off or block the tubes and pressurize the shafts.
By Ted - 16 Years Ago
DANIEL TINDER (2/28/2008)
Ted, Could you elaborate re: your reasoning for NOT pressurizing the shafts? (In my case, I was always afraid that oil would flood the valves if not directed straight down the pushrod/drain holes).
By not blocking the oil outlet tubes, air is purged from the shafts thereby insuring that the shaft stays full of oil.  If these tubes are blocked, then the potential is there for air to be trapped within the shafts.  A constant flow of oil through the shafts by the use of the overflow tubes will purge the air and help to carry off some of the heat rather than the oil potentially stagnating and then sludging up.  On a solid lifter engine such as the Y, the rockers get to relax between valve actions which promotes additional leakage at the bottom of the rocker but on a hydraulic cammed engine such as the FE, that period of relaxation doesn’t occur and this is where pressure oiling would have some additional benefit.  But as John also brought up, allowing the excess oil to bleed off at the overflow tubes also insures that the oil level in the heads does not exceed the ability of the drain holes to carry it away.

John F (2/28/2008)
This may be a dumb question but, what are you using to restrict the oil flow into the rocker shafts?
To restrict the oil to the rockers themselves, I thread the ‘second from the right’ pedestal at its bottom with a 5/16 X 18 tap and install a set screw that is drilled with the appropriately sized hole.  This could be done in the head as an alternate choice.  An Fe is already sized at 0.125” in the head gasket but the Y is pretty liberal in its oiling up to the rockers if the restriction at the camshaft is freed up.  Not counting the restriction in the oiling at the camshaft, the Y has a 5/16” hole in the block with a corresponding 5/16” hole in the head gasket.  The oil passageway in the cylinder head downsizes to a ¼”and this size is maintained up to the rocker arm shaft.  If the oil is freed up at the camshaft, then that’s a lot of oil flow to contend with.

Another rocker shaft modification would be to grind some angled slots across the lower oiling holes to promote more oil across the inside wear area of the rocker arm.  There’s a picture of this modification elsewhere in the forums.

Davis (2/28/2008)
but then FE's do have oil baffles under the shafts..
The oil shields or baffles under the rockers are another story.  This would appear to be another item on the Y that was dropped as a cost cutting measure early on but I do prefer to run them when given the option.  If running a positive seal on the valve guide, then the baffles are likely not worth much but if running the stock unbrella type of seal, then these shields do reduce the amount of oil getting to the guide.

By Ted - 16 Years Ago

Here’s the picture of the rocker shaft oiling modification posted elsewhere on the site.

And the link to the original thread.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic6985.aspx
By Ted - 16 Years Ago
Nick Brann (3/5/2008)
Now I'm going to go back to the stock return tubes and also install a set of the old baffles under the rocker arms.

Total agreement on putting the valve spring baffles back in place under the rockers.  They do a good job of directing oil away from the guides especially in those cases where umbrella seals are being used.  This is one item that I always seem to be short of as most core engines I receive do not have these on them.

By Ted - 16 Years Ago
HoLun (4/3/2008)
Is anyone making repo baffles? i could use a set for my heads, even with the restricted oil flow to the head, i still get the occicasional smoke screen oil burning action at the drive thrus.

HoLun,

I’m not aware of any repro spring baffles for the Y but some sifting at the local bone yards in your area should net you a set.  Don’t forget those truck salvage yards as many of those older trucks with the Y used the spring baffles also.  The baffles in the OHV engines (317, 302, 332) are a slightly different design and do not fit the Y.  Unfortunately with the price of scrap iron going through the roof, I picture a good number of the engines that have been sitting dormant for years in these yards heading for the smelter.

By Ted - 16 Years Ago

The pictured dial indicator is a manufactured piece but I haven’t seen one available in a fair number of years now.  Was originally bought from a firm in Dallas, Texas.  Here’s a pair of more detailed pictures of it.

As far as valve tip variation on a shaft mounted rocker engine, I would consider 0.030” between the lowest to the highest being the tolerance for a grocery getter.   This would be for both the intake and exhaust valves as they are both sharing the same rocker shaft.  Any kind of performance application would dictate a tolerance somewhat tighter than this.

By Ted - 16 Years Ago
DANIEL TINDER (4/7/2008)

Also trying to track down a telescoping, spring-height barrel micrometer that will fit over a stock Y-block guide boss. Do you know of a source?

My own valve spring height mic doesn’t accomodates the stock Y guide boss so I share your pain.  But in most instances, I have been machining the Y guide bosses down for other reasons which then allows the conventional height mics to be used.  Unfortunately the I.D. of the height mics is not given in the sales fliers or catalogues so it's difficult to just arbitrarily purchase one of these with the Y head in mind.

By Ted - 16 Years Ago
DANIEL TINDER (4/7/2008)

I did come across a valve spring height mic that will work on the Y heads with unmodified guide bosses.  It’s steel in construction and the range is 1.800” to 2.200”.  This same company does offer a height mic for a shorter set of ranges but that particular mic does not fit over the valve guide boss on unmodified Y guides.  Here’s a pair of links.

Valve spring height micrometer

Sellers other items including height mic

By Ted - 16 Years Ago
DANIEL TINDER (4/25/2008)
Thanks Ted,

Do you know if these tools are made to order? If so, the height mic. could be cut a bit shorter, and the cut # added back to dial #s. I think 1.8" minimum might be too tall to be useful for many Y-block springs, unless the spring seats have been machined deeper?

Re: the min. guide clearance specs you once provided for bronze/stainless (.002"IN/.003"EX): I found a YBM article where J. Mummert set up a mild performance motor (?) with .0018" on both. Would YOU still stay with your clearance rec. if for a grocery-getter motor, or were you thinking full-blown race specs?

You’ll have to get with the seller to determine if a custom height mic can be made.  Looking at the height mic that I received for the 1.400”-1.800” dimensions, you can potentially modify the inside threads so that it can slip over the stock guide.  In received form, this particular mic lacks about 0.175” from being fully seated when placed over the stock Y guide.  Looking at the mic, it will take ~0.200” removal of the threads on the outer portion while leaving the outside length dimension as is and then modify the inner portion threads just enough to get your desired minimum valve spring height reading.  Doing it this way will not require any number bias on the outside of the mic.  This will probably make more sense if you’re actually looking at the bottom side of the mic.

The 1.800”-2.200” mic in stock form just fits over the stock Y guide and seats okay.  Any modifications to this particular mic to make it read a lower value will require including a bias with the outside numbers or values when using it which means making modifications to the mic in 0.100” increments to keep the numbers quick and easy to calculate.

As far as bronze guide clearance goes, those are performance minded specs but if the engine ever overheats with the tighter specs being used, then the opportunity for a sticking valve will exist (especially on the exhaust).

By Ted - 15 Years Ago
tinymikey (1/30/2009)
Bruce Crower back in the eighties wrote a tech column for HotRod Magazine, he's a sharp guy, but one subject he wrote was the fully grooved vs. grooved upper only main bearing inserts, basically the solid lower bearing system "charges" the rod throw on each rotation, actually increasing the velocity to the rod insert, I guess the "severe duty" of these engines shows they must not have an oiling problem, but I always wondered if the center cam bearing design didn't bleed off two much lube from the center main, just curious. 

Great thought on the potential for bearing issues off of the center main but apparently it’s a non-event as the center main bearing and the #2 and 7 rod bearings do not show any more wear than any other bearings on the Y as a general rule.  The same non-event for bearing wear is also observed on the Ford FE engines where the #2 & 4 main bearings and the #2, 4, 5 & 7 rod bearings do not show any additional wear as a result of oil being supplied to the topend from main journals #2 & #4.  Bernoulli’s Law helps to explain why the pressure drop is not as severe at these particular locations as would be imagined.