Profile Picture

Brazilian 78 F100 with 292

Posted By birk 10 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Question Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Hitting on all eight cylinders

Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 5 Years Ago
Hey guys. Greetings from Brazil. 

I have a 1978 Brazilian F-100 that is originally equipped with a 4 cylinder 2.3 OHC . Here is a pic of it https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/t31.0-8/981471_481606905246630_15578373_o.jpg.
I just bought a 292 Y Block to put in. I don't really know if it's still standard or if the past owner already did anything to it. I'll leave it at a local shop so they can take a look at it. Some older Brazilian F100 (until 75) came with the 272 engine.

My brother is living in New York city and I'm going to visit him on July. I'm thinking about buying some parts for the engine, because unfortunately the taxes and prices here in Brazil are too abusive.
My first thought was to buy any parts that I'll possibly need to rebuild the engine (just if needed), and some others to improve the performance. I was thinking about a new carburator, maybe a Holley 4160 (don't know if it's the best choice), a 4bbl intake (the standard is 2) and maybe an electronic ignition (stronger and remove the point ignition). Maybe if I still have room I can take a new exhaust manifold.

Some other things, like increasing the compression rate, that is 7,8, I think I can do here in Brazil.

So, my question is: what do you guys think I should address to get more performance without having to expend too much money? Feel free to give your opinions and recommend parts that you think that are more importante that the ones I listed. The preference is for parts that can travel with me in the luggage.

Thanks!
MoonShadow
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
Take a look at: http://www.ford-y-block.com He has some stroker kits available that gives you a rebuild with some spice. Chuck

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire
PF Arcand
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Weeks Ago
Nice looking truck!  Surprised to hear it's powered by a 2.3 L four cylinder.  Was that for economy reasons?  Can we asume that fuel is very expensive there?
 Anyway, it's difficult to recommend much for your project when you are limiting the parts to what you can carry in your suitcases.  Could your brother arrange shipping of other items as needed?  What about a rebuild gasket kit? Or are any parts such as gasket kits available there?  I'm sure someone else will have further ideas..Good luck with your conversion..

Paul
birk
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Hitting on all eight cylinders

Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)

Last Active: 5 Years Ago
Thanks for the replies guys.

Yes, the 4 cylinder was used for economy reasons. In the 70's we had the oil crises and the gas price was an issue. Today it's around 3 reais a liter (something like 5 dolars per galon) for a poor quality gas.

About the parts. Yes, he can arrange the shipping with no problems. The gasket kit is a good ideia. I'll probably have to change the one that is currently installed when they open the engine.

2721955meteor
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Last Active: 7 hours ago
first would be cam ,lifters and a chain kit .oil pump. i like the 57 4v cam grind. i use a regrind with re surfaced lifters,as the cam grinder i use claims new cams ar often poor blanks cast in china. if you go that way(regrind) get the 1 with groved  journal for rocker lube in stead of holes.rocker shafts is another consideration. they ar avail hear still(bc canada) thes ar items that will fit in your luggage.
paul2748
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: 10 hours ago
So, my question is: what do you guys think I should address to get more performance without having to expend too much money?

MoonShadow (5/16/2014)
Take a look at: http://www.ford-y-block.com He has some stroker kits available that gives you a rebuild with some spice. Chuck

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

Ted
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 days ago
birk (5/16/2014)
Hey guys. Greetings from Brazil. .....
So, my question is: what do you guys think I should address to get more performance without having to expend too much money? Feel free to give your opinions and recommend parts that you think that are more importante that the ones I listed. The preference is for parts that can travel with me in the luggage.

Dual exhaust will provide the biggest bang for the buck.  Installing a four barrel carb and intake will not gain much unless upgrading the camshaft first. A camshaft and lifter upgrade will be quite noticeable even with just a two barrel carb.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Reading This Topic

Site Meter