Profile Picture

Tip Priming the oil pump

Posted By lyonroad 10 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Turbocharged

Turbocharged (74 reputation)Turbocharged (74 reputation)Turbocharged (74 reputation)Turbocharged (74 reputation)Turbocharged (74 reputation)Turbocharged (74 reputation)Turbocharged (74 reputation)Turbocharged (74 reputation)Turbocharged (74 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Years Ago
something I did differently to prime the oil pump was unscrew the oil gallery plug at the rear and used a syringe to pump about 60ml of oil into the pump, i thought that this would be less messy than the other method mentioned elsewhere on other threads.

just my 2 cents worth.
Outlaw56
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (924 reputation)Supercharged (924 reputation)Supercharged (924 reputation)Supercharged (924 reputation)Supercharged (924 reputation)Supercharged (924 reputation)Supercharged (924 reputation)Supercharged (924 reputation)Supercharged (924 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Ted, can you elaborate on the problems detected using a speed handle verses a power drill?

Darrell Howard Whitefish, MT Outlaw 56 Ford F-100's
Ted
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 7 hours ago
Outlaw56 (5/11/2014)
Ted, can you elaborate on the problems detected using a speed handle verses a power drill?

If the oil pump gears are not meshing smoothly or there’s a light binding taking place, this can be detected much easier when turning the pump over with a hand driven speed handle.  Some of those oil pump issues do not show up when using a hand drill to prime the engines.  I’ve found issues with several new and out of the box oil pumps while turning them over by hand that would have gone undetected if using a power drill instead.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Outlaw56
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (924 reputation)Supercharged (924 reputation)Supercharged (924 reputation)Supercharged (924 reputation)Supercharged (924 reputation)Supercharged (924 reputation)Supercharged (924 reputation)Supercharged (924 reputation)Supercharged (924 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Thats good to know. Thanks for the tip.

Darrell Howard Whitefish, MT Outlaw 56 Ford F-100's
57FordPU
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
One more vote for the old dizzy with a nut welded to the shaft as that is all I use now.  I used to use a 1/4" drive bit until it came off once and ended up in the lifter valley, I had to take the intake off to get it out.  Sorry if you don't have an old distributor to use, but it is well worth it to find one.

Charlie Burns Laton, Ca (South of Fresno)

BurnsRacing981@gmail.com
2721955meteor
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
well giv me a call i have a pre lube kit use a 302 oil pump with a filter and plativ resevour, pre lub your engine threw the oil pressure  gauge sender hole, loan it out to my frends . 778 574 1940 cliff
charliemccraney
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: Yesterday
And if anyone is curious, there are tools specifically for the job:

http://www.summitracing.com/search?SortBy=BestKeywordMatch&SortOrder=Ascending&keyword=ford%20oil%20pump%20primer

Lawrenceville, GA
HT32BSX115
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (539 reputation)Supercharged (539 reputation)Supercharged (539 reputation)Supercharged (539 reputation)Supercharged (539 reputation)Supercharged (539 reputation)Supercharged (539 reputation)Supercharged (539 reputation)Supercharged (539 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Ted (5/12/2014)
Outlaw56 (5/11/2014)

If the oil pump gears are not meshing smoothly or there’s a light binding taking place, this can be detected much easier when turning the pump over with a hand driven speed handle.  Some of those oil pump issues do not show up when using a hand drill to prime the engines.  I’ve found issues with several new and out of the box oil pumps while turning them over by hand that would have gone undetected if using a power drill instead.

I sort of preferred using my "speed handle" .

It was very easy, and turning by hand, I was able to produce about 50 PSI.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1955 F-600/272/E4OD// Disclaimer: No animals were injured while test driving my F-600 except the ones I ran over intentionally!

---------------------
This post was created using OpenSuSE Linux x64 and Firefox

2721955meteor
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
primeing oil pump,all 302 distributors will work to make a prelube shaft,even the later 302 roller  ones,which ar a bit longer.they work so well with no risks.
lyonroad
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)

Last Active: 9 Years Ago
Charlie, good information.  I was not aware of these.

Thanks Cliff, I am not to far from you.  I'll give you a call one of these days.  Never thought about a pre-luber.  I googled engine pre luber and there are lots of options for building your own.

Mark

1956 Mercury M100
1955 Ford Fairlane Club Sedan
Delta, British Columbia

Reading This Topic

Site Meter