Tip Priming the oil pump

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic104279.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By lyonroad - 10 Years Ago
Maybe most of you already know this but I discovered something while getting ready to spin the oil pump with a drill.  Those inexpensive hex drive adapters, usually found near the checkout at Home Depot, fit the oil pump drive and the distributor shaft bore in the block.  No need to grind a 1/4" socket down to fit.  Be careful though, most of these are magnatized and you don't want to introduce metal bits into your newly prepped engine.
By charliemccraney - 10 Years Ago
That's pretty cool.  How much were they?
I really don't remember, I have had them for quite a while, usually used for changing driver bits like phillips to slotted to robertson etc.  They were probably only a couple of dollars each for the short ones.  The flexable drive came from a tool store and probably cost about $10 or so.  I bought it along with some others to reach awkward places.  It just so happens that it works for the oil pump drive shaft. I actually took one of the flexible drives, attached a knurled aluminum knob to one end and welded a threaded shaft to the other end.  Then attached it to the cowl vent on my '56 pickup.  That way I can just turn a knob under the dash to adjust the vent rather than the lever it came with.  I had to remove the lever to install the stereo.
By PF Arcand - 10 Years Ago
Mark: Another note on pre oiling an engine (you may know this but it's worth mentioning it again) is to pre fill the Oil Filter before installing it. I fill the filter say 2/3rds full, let it sit for a minute, to soak up the oil, then pick it up & rotate it in hand at roughly a 45 deg. angle for a few seconds, this allows the cartridge to soak up more of the oil. Then it can be tipped at about a 60 deg angle and rotated again. After, it can be topped up with oil about 1/2 way again & rotated again to soak up the oil & then installed.. I also suggest doing this when doing oil changes...  
By paul2748 - 10 Years Ago
I never had a problem fitting a 1/4 drive, 1/4 socket into the hole.  Always taped everything together.
By Glen Henderson - 10 Years Ago
I just took an old dist, removed the point plate and advance assy. Drop it in and turn counter clockwise with a batt powered drill.
By Ted - 10 Years Ago
I'm in Glen's camp in that I use an old distributor with a nut welded to its top.  I simply use a speed handle and starting with an empty oil filter, it only takes roughly twenty seconds to fill the filter and get oil pressure on most engines including the Y's.  I've found problems with oil pumps using the speed handle that would have gone unnoticed if using a form of powered drill to prime the engines.
Well I don't have an old distributor shaft and my 1/4" socket won't fit inside the bore so I had to find something that would work.  Yes Paul, I always fill the oil filter but was surprised to find how quickly the centre portion empties as the oil soaks into the filter material. I too have used a speed handle but as well as a drill set on reverse at a slow speed  and I too tape everything together..
By The Master Cylinder - 10 Years Ago
Mark, I have several of those ¼" magnetic bit holders. It's one of the items Harbor Freight gives away occasionally to get you in the door. Normally they're $2.99 I think.
By rick55 - 10 Years Ago
One thing to be wary of, using a magnetic bit holder if the oil pump drive shaft doesn't have the the spring collar to hold it in place you may pull it out when you remove the bit holder. I think the 1/4" socket is safer.
By Kennykiwi - 10 Years Ago
something I did differently to prime the oil pump was unscrew the oil gallery plug at the rear and used a syringe to pump about 60ml of oil into the pump, i thought that this would be less messy than the other method mentioned elsewhere on other threads.

just my 2 cents worth.
By Outlaw56 - 10 Years Ago
Ted, can you elaborate on the problems detected using a speed handle verses a power drill?
By Ted - 10 Years Ago
Outlaw56 (5/11/2014)
Ted, can you elaborate on the problems detected using a speed handle verses a power drill?

If the oil pump gears are not meshing smoothly or there’s a light binding taking place, this can be detected much easier when turning the pump over with a hand driven speed handle.  Some of those oil pump issues do not show up when using a hand drill to prime the engines.  I’ve found issues with several new and out of the box oil pumps while turning them over by hand that would have gone undetected if using a power drill instead.

By Outlaw56 - 10 Years Ago
Thats good to know. Thanks for the tip.
By 57FordPU - 10 Years Ago
One more vote for the old dizzy with a nut welded to the shaft as that is all I use now.  I used to use a 1/4" drive bit until it came off once and ended up in the lifter valley, I had to take the intake off to get it out.  Sorry if you don't have an old distributor to use, but it is well worth it to find one.
By 2721955meteor - 10 Years Ago
well giv me a call i have a pre lube kit use a 302 oil pump with a filter and plativ resevour, pre lub your engine threw the oil pressure  gauge sender hole, loan it out to my frends . 778 574 1940 cliff
By charliemccraney - 10 Years Ago
And if anyone is curious, there are tools specifically for the job:

http://www.summitracing.com/search?SortBy=BestKeywordMatch&SortOrder=Ascending&keyword=ford%20oil%20pump%20primer

By HT32BSX115 - 10 Years Ago
Ted (5/12/2014)
Outlaw56 (5/11/2014)

If the oil pump gears are not meshing smoothly or there’s a light binding taking place, this can be detected much easier when turning the pump over with a hand driven speed handle.  Some of those oil pump issues do not show up when using a hand drill to prime the engines.  I’ve found issues with several new and out of the box oil pumps while turning them over by hand that would have gone undetected if using a power drill instead.

I sort of preferred using my "speed handle" .

It was very easy, and turning by hand, I was able to produce about 50 PSI.
primeing oil pump,all 302 distributors will work to make a prelube shaft,even the later 302 roller  ones,which ar a bit longer.they work so well with no risks.
Charlie, good information.  I was not aware of these.

Thanks Cliff, I am not to far from you.  I'll give you a call one of these days.  Never thought about a pre-luber.  I googled engine pre luber and there are lots of options for building your own.
look forwerd to your call cliff
By paul2748 - 10 Years Ago
I should have said a 1/4 deep socket - a regular 1/4 socket may not work as noted above.  In addition. it has to be 1/4 drive to keep the slim socket.
By Kennykiwi - 10 Years Ago
My new pump does seem to be binding, certainly isn't smoothe. It does give good pressure when I manually wind it. Should I continue using it?

It would be an expensive fix because I'm down under.

Does the oil drain out of the pump if it is not used for a few weeks?

I filled the oil filter, and the rocker shafts.

Any ideas??

Kennny