Profile Picture

What is this about?

Posted By Daniel Jessup 10 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Yesterday
I guess a lot of us know a bunch more about our engines than we do our transmissions lol. Not much traffic on any of my questions or part hunts for this T86.

I found out today that I cannot get my T86 and OD assembly to match any setup in the Ford parts manuals for 49-59. What in the world... I also "think" that I was missing a washer when I started. There was only a large at the front of the countershaft and then another large washer (with a copper back) at the rear. The diagrams I have seen show 2 washers at the rear and 1 at the front. Any ideas? As far as the countershaft went it was worn only on one side but that would make the circumference not perfectly round. I guess I could turn it over so that the top of the circumference was now perfectly round. I am sure that the countershaft/needle bearings wore on the top of the shaft arc as it rotated. I wonder if it is because one of those large washers was missing?

Daniel Jessup

Lancaster, California

aka "The Hot Rod Reverend" w00t
check out the 1955 Ford Fairlane build at www.hotrodreverend.com

Daniel Jessup
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)

An old fella told me today that it was because the tailshafts were porous? so this was a sealer? May be, but I don't know why the main housing in the transmission were not then painted on the inside as well.

Daniel Jessup

Lancaster, California

stuey
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (840 reputation)Supercharged (840 reputation)Supercharged (840 reputation)Supercharged (840 reputation)Supercharged (840 reputation)Supercharged (840 reputation)Supercharged (840 reputation)Supercharged (840 reputation)Supercharged (840 reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
don't know for certain but years ago the fashion was to paint the insides of blocks with Glyptal or Rustoleum.
the colour looks more like Rustoleum.
stuey
Daniel Jessup
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Fellas,

Finished the cleaning of the T86/R10 overdrive housing tonight and after I got all of the old oil/grease out, this color paint? was all on the inside of the housing. What is it?

Are all tailshaft housings this way or is this just for the overdrive unit? If this was from Ford, this is the first I have seen.

For the next photo, this is the only R10 tailshaft I have seen that has a smooth bore around the rear end seal. It is almost acting as a guard. All of the others I have ever seen are the normal cast two ring end. Any ideas?

Daniel Jessup

Lancaster, California

Reading This Topic

Site Meter