Profile Picture

FMX to Y block

Posted By kevink1955 10 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
I have seen many ways to swap an FMX to a Y Block, many involve swaping the front pump from a FordoMatic and some internals to change the input to 17 spline. Seems a little involved

I have a 70's FMX and would like to know if anyone has tryed this.

Use the FordoMatic bell housing (drill the 2 new holes)
Use a 58 292 flex Plate (11 1/2" convertor bolt circle)
Use the original FMX convertor ( 11 1/2 BC  1.375 pilot)
Have a bushing made for the Y Block crank 1.572 to 1.375 to support the convertor

Sounds to simple, have not checked the convertor to front pump engagement while on a Y flexplate but the Y plate is very similar to the small block ford that the FMX was prevously mated to, only unknown id the depth of the Y bell housing VS the small block ford.

Has anyone ever tryed this? If so did it work. Would save me the trouble of pulling the 3 speed out and doing the trial fit.

Thanks in advance                       Kevin
PF Arcand
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
Kevin: With any luck John the Hoozier Hurricane, will post on your question. He is very familiar with the FMX/Fordo mix conversion..

Paul
Glen Henderson
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)

Last Active: 8 Years Ago
Yes it will work, that is the way I am doing mine. John reminded me about the adapter bushing. Like you said, it sounds to simple, but it is the same thing used in adapting the C4 converter in the Flat O Matic kits.

Glen Henderson

Freedom is not Free

Letohatchee, AL
pegleg
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
John's having trouble logging on. Have patience, they're working on getting him back on.
 I did this to the F code, but I had the SBF ford converter pilot remachined to the yblock size while it was being modified at a Converter shop. Shop is out of business and I have not found another source willing to work on FMX converters yet.

Frank/Rebop

Bristol, In ( by Elkhart) 

kevink1955
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)

Looks to me like the SBF pliot is smaller than the Y Block so I would need a bushing. The FE series pilot is larger than the Y so I guess it could be turned down to fit but I did read that someone had done that (or tryed) and wound up breaking thru an there was not wall thicknes.

Waiting for John to resolve his log in problem so I can get his take on this.

Thanks for all the replys so far, keep them comming

Kevin
Hoosier Hurricane
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: Yesterday
Kevin:

Sorry I haven't replied sooner, I was having major difficulties getting into this new website.  Your list of changes to bolt the FMX to the Y are right on.  On the back end, you may have to make changes to the rear mount (if used) and driveshaft, but the swap is very doable.

John - "The Hoosier Hurricane"
http://www.y-blocksforever.com/avatars/johnf.jpg
pegleg
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Kevin. You are correct. I SHOULD have machined it to the Y block diameter. I had a new pilot installed when they modified the converter. We had to shorten the pilot as well.

Frank/Rebop

Bristol, In ( by Elkhart) 

kevink1955
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Glad to see you are back on John.

This swap sounds to simple, why would anyone mess with a pump swap?
It's going in a Fairlane so yes I would have to work out the rear mount and driveshaft, got to get under there and see by how much.
Am going to use a Lokar cable for kick down as my Holley already has a kickdown lever (saves me from having to find a "mouse trap" 56 linkage)

Does anyone know of a manfactured pilot bushing for this swap?

Once the 3 speed is gone I want to add Borgenson PS, anyone have a work around for the Horn wire. I was told a 58 colunm and wheel could be used but have not confirmed that yet

Getting to old for the Armstrong steering and the 3 speed but still want to keep the stock looks with an original looking colunm

Thanks for the help guys                          Kevin
PF Arcand
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
Kevin: is this whole trans & steering conversion for a 1955 Ford?  Can't help you with the trans part, but I don't think a 58 steering column is going to work in a 55.  however, in case it is feasible, make sure you aquire the entire column setup, because the horn feed & assembly is entirely different than 1957 & prior. I had a 58 box "only" installed in a 57 car & it turned into a mini nightmare to sort it out..   

Paul
kevink1955
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Pau

It's going in a 56 Fairlane, the amout if dish in a 58 wheel looks to be about the same. I may be able to mix the 56 and 58 parts to come up with something that works. The reason for the colunm swap is to keep a working horn after the wire thru the shaft goes away.

I almost wonder if the 58 turn signal assembly with horn brush will fit in a 56 column then use a 58 wheel to mate up with the brush.

It's all still in the thinking stage right now, I do have the FMX and a Y cruse o matic bell so I think I am good for the trans swap.

When I get a little futher along with the PS planing I will start a new thread as I am sure someone has done this before.

Great wealth of info here along with a willingness to help.

Kevin

Reading This Topic

Site Meter