Profile Picture

Preheating engine in cold weather

Posted By ian57tbird 10 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 6 Years Ago
GM's are good for bashing through the big snow banks that the plow left at the end of my driveway!!! LOL Once this winter is done, I am going to enjoy my old Buick in the local demolition derby!!!! A perfect use for Scrubs! Smile

I love the smell of burning rubber in the morning!

lyonroad
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)

Last Active: 9 Years Ago
Canadian Hot Rodder (3/9/2014)
ian57tbird (3/5/2014)
Canadian Hot Rodder (3/4/2014)
Been starting my daily driver (not Vicky) lately in -30 deg Celsius (-22 deg F) and have to let it warm up for at least 5 to 10 min before I move.

You have to plug it in at that temp before startup, don't you?

No haven't had to plug in the car but it wines quite a bit until it gets warmed up! It's an old buick so I don't care (gms make good winter beaters! LOL) ! Friends of mine who run diesels do have to plug in or they will never start! Had a plow tractor at work that my crew forgot to plug in and took me over an hour to get it to run!

Can't wait until spring!!!!!!!! Crazy

Block heaters are not as common as you would think. I've worked all over British Columbia in temperatures below -20C and have only come across one rental car with with a block heater. That was in fort St. John and it was an Alberta car. That being said my dad stripped the bendix on his '67Galaxy 500 trying to jump start it at about -35C. Its not uncommon to go to a restaurant with a dozen pickups idling in the parking lot. Good luck trying to sleep in a motel in Northern B.C in the winter with a couple of semis idling all night long outside your room.People park all day long at ski hills in sub zero temperatures and none of those cars are plugged in.

Canadian Hot Rodder,those old Buicks and other GM's are good to drive on the salt roads too. They are cheaper than putting insurance on your Ford.

Mark

1956 Mercury M100
1955 Ford Fairlane Club Sedan
Delta, British Columbia
ian57tbird
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)

Last Active: 6 days ago
Thought you would have to light a fire under the sump to get the oil moving at those temps.Smile
Canadian Hot Rodder
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

ian57tbird (3/5/2014)
Been starting my daily driver (not Vicky) lately in -30 deg Celsius (-22 deg F) and have to let it warm up for at least 5 to 10 min before I move.

No haven't had to plug in the car but it wines quite a bit until it gets warmed up! It's an old buick so I don't care (gms make good winter beaters! LOL) ! Friends of mine who run diesels do have to plug in or they will never start! Had a plow tractor at work that my crew forgot to plug in and took me over an hour to get it to run!

Can't wait until spring!!!!!!!! Crazy

LordMrFord
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Been starting my daily driver (not Vicky) lately in -30 deg Celsius (-22 deg F) and have to let it warm up for at least 5 to 10 min before I move. It takes me about an half an hour to warm up before the heater starts to kick in though!!! LOL CrazyCrazyCrazy

It's better to start driving with low RPM's before that so oils get warmer faster.

My '63 Fairlane with 221 was pain in the ass to start in those weathers, not because the engine but the old Ford-O-Matic was sticky as what. My crumpy neighbour went crazy when I heated Transmission oils in the middle of night. Hehe

Hyvinkää, FI
ian57tbird
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)

Canadian Hot Rodder
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Been starting my daily driver (not Vicky) lately in -30 deg Celsius (-22 deg F) and have to let it warm up for at least 5 to 10 min before I move. It takes me about an half an hour to warm up before the heater starts to kick in though!!! LOL CrazyCrazyCrazy

LordMrFord
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
+5 to -5 degree of Celsius.

Hyvinkää, FI
lyonroad
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Last Active: 9 Years Ago
Here in southwest British Columbia most people, including me never do. It can go down to about -10 Celsius at the minimum. In central to northern B.C. where its going dwn to -40 C tonight with the wind chill I would expect that most cars parked outside would be plugged in. They probably start worrying about it at -10 to -15 Celcius.

Mark

1956 Mercury M100
1955 Ford Fairlane Club Sedan
Delta, British Columbia
ian57tbird
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Was wondering at what temperature it gets down to before you guys start plugging and preheat motors?

Reading This Topic

Site Meter