Profile Picture

TIMECOVER SEAL

Posted By aussiebill 10 Years Ago
Rated 5 stars based on 1 vote.
Author
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 4 Years Ago
I,ve allways wondered why our y blocks never had the timeing case seal enter from the front like majority of engines, cant see why it was done as it would only needed to have been machined from the front, leaving the lip on inside area, certainly would save a lot of extra work and gaskts if it was so. Just my long time thought.

yyy

AussieBill            YYYY    Forever Y Block     YYYY

Down Under, Australia

slick56
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
I imagine the designer was the same bloke who designated the second journal/piston as no.1, and aligned the crank/cam relationship 12 chain links apart..

South Australia

Talkwrench
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Bill I couldn't agree more.. Ohhh the things I said about the guy that designed that idea ! What a complete pain in the ring that job is Angry .. Guess I made it worse as I did it a few years ago and it was about 100 in the shade.. Doze

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/02c74785-3ce2-4b80-a66c-f31f.jpg

"Came too close to dying to stop living now!"
lyonroad
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)

Last Active: 9 Years Ago
slick56 (2/27/2014)
and aligned the crank/cam relationship 12 chain links apart..

Maybe he was British; 12 pence in a shilling, 12 inches in a foot, 12 links between timing marks ... makes sense to me!

Mark

1956 Mercury M100
1955 Ford Fairlane Club Sedan
Delta, British Columbia
John Mummert
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)

Sometimes I think that the timing marks were made that way because the set was originally used on the 215 6 cylinder where it might be easier to see the marks it that position. Maybe.

http://ford-y-block.com 

20 miles east of San Diego, 20 miles north of Mexico

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/2c0ef4dd-5dd8-408e-ba0d-74f6.jpg

slick56
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)

Does the alloy REBOP timing cover take the seal from the front or the rear?

Are they still available (Frank)?

South Australia

aussiebill
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)

slick56 (3/2/2014)
Does the alloy REBOP timing cover take the seal from the front or the rear?

Are they still available (Frank)?

Think john sells them.

AussieBill            YYYY    Forever Y Block     YYYY

Down Under, Australia

Hoosier Hurricane
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.0K reputation)Supercharged (5.0K reputation)Supercharged (5.0K reputation)Supercharged (5.0K reputation)Supercharged (5.0K reputation)Supercharged (5.0K reputation)Supercharged (5.0K reputation)Supercharged (5.0K reputation)Supercharged (5.0K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 2 days ago
Rebop's seal enters from the rear like the stock ones do.

John - "The Hoosier Hurricane"
http://www.y-blocksforever.com/avatars/johnf.jpg
snowcone
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (364 reputation)Supercharged (364 reputation)Supercharged (364 reputation)Supercharged (364 reputation)Supercharged (364 reputation)Supercharged (364 reputation)Supercharged (364 reputation)Supercharged (364 reputation)Supercharged (364 reputation)

Must have just been the thinking then for the timing case seal.
If you recall the Aussie GM grey Holden motor from 1948 to 1963 had the seal on the inside too.

Gary - 1958 Star Customline and 1940 Ford Deluxe Hotrod

Talkwrench
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Mmm I wonder if the Chevy 6 [blue flame] has it on the inside?

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/02c74785-3ce2-4b80-a66c-f31f.jpg

"Came too close to dying to stop living now!"

Reading This Topic

Site Meter