Y-BLOCK BOOK

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic80534.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By stuey - 11 Years Ago
morning folks

just been rummaging on Amazon, actualy looking for Skylanders for grandson, and came across a new book (Ford Y-Block Engines:How To Build and Modify). Author Charles Morris.

would this be the long awaited book from Mr Mummert and C Morris is a ghost writer??? have i got that round the wrong way?Blink

stuey

UK
By NoShortcuts - 11 Years Ago
stuey (3/15/2013)
...just been rummaging on Amazon, ...and came across a new book, Ford Y-Block Engines: How To Rebuild and Modify. Author Charles Morris.

Would this be the long awaited book from Mr. Mummert and C Morris is a ghost writer??? Have I got that round the wrong way?Blink

stuey
UK

THANKS for the heads-up, Stuey. Presently, here in the U.S. this is listed on Amazon as 'yet to be released'. I pre-ordered! Smile

Looks to be a Ted Eaton engine on the cover...

IF someone were to edit and organize the content of the Y-Blocks Forever Forum technical information archives, that would make QUITE the book!
By Oldmics - 11 Years Ago
Charles Morris is not Mr. Mummert in disguise.

Charles has written several automotive books.My favorite is "Factory Lightweights" about the factory aluminum paneled race cars in street disguise.

Charles interviewed me and took some pictures of some of my junk that may be in the book.

Recently his home was destroyed in the floods up in the New York,New Jersey area.

Hes a good guy.Buy his book so that he has some money to rebuild his home.

I know I will.

Oldmics
By pegleg - 11 Years Ago
What Oldmics said. They've lost almost everything. If you're on Facebook, he posts regularly. The Sandy Hook "cleanup" is a complete disaster, comparable to the New Orleans mess. Or as we called it in the service a fubar.
By charliemccraney - 11 Years Ago
A link.

http://www.amazon.com/Ford-Y-Block-Engines-Rebuild-Modify/dp/1613250614/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1363356863&sr=8-3&keywords=Ford+Y-Block+Engines
By BudMan - 11 Years Ago
Thank you for the link! I just pre-ordered a copy. I'm just about done building my engine but this book will probably tell me all the things I did wrong! : )

BudMan
By 314 - 11 Years Ago
i have long giving up on johns book.i first heard about it around 12 or more years ago.it was less than a year away.
By PF Arcand - 11 Years Ago
Writing a well organized comprehensive book on our favorite engine would be a major project. That was already done by James Eickman & issued in 1984 by MBI publishing. It's a good book, although it contains a couple of errors & one or two questionable recommendations. However, it only touches on one or two performance modifications, so in that respect it's little help. Obviously, since then, led by people such as Ted Eaton & John Mummert, a lot has been learned with respect to rebuilding, up grading & modifying the Y-Block engine & suppling performance parts for it. If Mummert intended to do such a book, I suspect that he just doesn't have the time... The only other reasonably orderly written presentations of working on the engine, appeared in the Street Rodder Magazines series in 1999, "Y-Notta Y-Block". And a similar series in Classic Truck in 2001-2, both written by Doc Frohmader. However, both are out of print & while worth finding, some of the material is now somewhat dated...
Edit; I should have mentioned that the original MBI published Y-block book is long out of print. Unfortunately, someone has done poor re prints of it. Apparently the photos are dark & somewhat unusable. This has led to some bad reviews of the book. It appears that some or all of the reprints use a different cover than the original, which featured a 1954 Ford with the dealer see thru engine hood & skyliner (glass) top. If buying a copy ensure it's an original, not a reprint...
By Ted - 11 Years Ago
Boy. That engine sure looks familiar. Here's the cover shot of the soon to be released book.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/f94b3a36-b15d-4bb6-bafa-2597.jpg
By speedpro56 - 11 Years Ago
Ordered mine and it said delivery time a WOW FACTORw00t sept. So looks like I'll just have to wait.
SEPTEMBER! GooD GrieF! Is the author still writing the book or is he negotiating with someone for permission to use their information or pictures?

SEPTEMBER! 'BudMan' isn't the only one who better have his engine together before this book comes out! Maybe they're trying to determine how many to print by doing advance advertising and advance selling... Smile
By The Master Cylinder - 11 Years Ago
Oldmics (3/15/2013)

Charles has written several automotive books.My favorite is "Factory Lightweights" about the factory aluminum paneled race cars in street disguise.

Oldmics

Wow, must be good, on sale on Amazon for $383.00. w00tw00t
By Daniel Jessup - 11 Years Ago
You've gotta say that the internet changed everything... the actual "need" for another Y block book went down in proportion to how many people use the internet in this day and age. I remember when I was a teenager and I ran across the Eickman book. I read that thing like it was the Bible Tongue! My personal opinion is that something needs to be written for the performance end of things and it sure looks like this new one is going to fit that bill. Wonder if the author consulted heavily with any of the "leaders of the pack" around here?

It might be next to impossible, but I tend to think that the best book with the best content would have to be a collaborative piece of work where you could get all the minds together on this thing. I don't know about others, but the history of the performance of the Y block in the racing department would be high on my list of "want's" for inclusion. Worldwide, I would guess we would all be interested. There is quite a bit of history here in the states, but what about Australia? what about Brazil and parts of South America where they continue to race Y's? There go the volumes, lol, we would need a set of books!

Even though we've got the internet, i've got a kindle, etc, etc, I still like the idea of a "book". I ordered 2 copies myself.
The Master Cylinder (3/16/2013)

Wow, must be good, on sale on Amazon for $383.00.

Gosh! For once I was bought early and paid less! Thank you, 'stuey'!

Supply and demand issue, likely. It's become collectible even before its been printed! w00t
By Oldmics - 11 Years Ago
While I was a lucky guy and recieved mine as a gift,I believe the AMAZON price listed is a missprint.

Oldmics
By lyonroad - 11 Years Ago
I don't understand the $383. Charlie's link shows the price as $16.47. Amazon Canada lists the price as $22.48. Pretty inexpensive either way.
I believe that that 383 price is for the Factory Lightweights book... I think that was what Master Cylinder was referring too
By lyonroad - 11 Years Ago
Oh I see now. The Factory Lightweights book is a mere $640.18 Canadian new. A used copy is a bargain at $507.70 Canadian. Its tough sledding getting those books over the border! At that rate I don't think the $383 is a typo.
Daniel Jessup (3/17/2013)
You've gotta say that the internet changed everything... the actual "need" for another Y block book

Daniel, Unless I haul my computer into my 'reading room' I do truly "need" another book...Smooooth

The Factory Lightweights book sounded like a good read until I saw the price. Amazing the price of some books. A little steep for me.

I've seen this book as high as $200.00 Station Wagons http://amzn.to/142gJ9r I have two of them that were gifted to me.

I pre ordered "Ford Y-Block Engines" from Amazon.com. Just got an update e-mail on my order. It was to be released in September 2013, now...

Unfortunately, the release date for the item(s) listed below has changed, and we need to provide you with a new delivery estimate based on the new release date:

Morris, Charles "Ford Y-Block Engines: How to Rebuild & Modify"
Estimated arrival date: March 20, 2014 - March 25, 2014

We will make every effort to get the delayed item(s) to you as soon as possible. If there are other items in your order, they'll be shipped according to the delivery estimates listed in the order details in Your Account (www.amazon.com/youraccount) at no additional cost.

Shades of John Mummert's Book?? w00tw00t
By pegleg - 11 Years Ago
Master, Charlie lost his house in Sandy. Just got back in after 12 or 14 weeks. That may be the reason.
Frank, I'm really sorry to hear that. I do still have the Book on preorder. Doesn't help him at the moment though.
I'm leaving up my order for 2 books also. If it has to be next March, then so be it... Hope everything works out for him...

dan
By slumlord444 - 11 Years Ago
Just got the same email. Will just have to wait for it. No rush.
By BudMan - 11 Years Ago
I just got an email from Amazon yesterday informing me that the release date has been pushed back to March 20-24, 2014!
By slick56 - 11 Years Ago
I also pre-ordered and paid a couple of months ago, and got the same email from Amazon this week.Now I know the reason why, I will not cancel and will wait 'til next year for my copy.
Thanks guys for the info.
What errors and questionable recommendations?

I will soon be rebuilding my 292 and was going to use this book as a reference.
By aussiebill - 11 Years Ago
Frank, what is the title of the book so i can place amazon order for the future ? thank you, bill.
Slick 56: In your question of yesterday, are you referring to my reference to the older Ford Y-Block Book by Eickman? It's not to be confused with the current book which is awaiting publication.
PF Arcand (6/2/2013)
Slick 56: In your question of yesterday, are you referring to my reference to the older Ford Y-Block Book by Eickman? It's not to be confused with the current book which is awaiting publication.

Paul, what is the name of the new book. thanks
By pegleg - 11 Years Ago
Bill, I honestly don't know the title, just the author's name Charlie Morris. I think Mummert's writing one also, if he ever gets time to finish it.
By charliemccraney - 11 Years Ago
There is a link on the first page of this thread. It is called Ford Y-Block Engines: How to Rebuild & Modify.
Thank you Charlie and Frank.Smile
By Ted - 11 Years Ago
Here’s the original book cover design again.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/33117b43-b28d-4068-b43d-c71e.jpg
By Archangel007 - 11 Years Ago
I ordered that from Amazon Ted, but apparently I wont be seeing it until next year I think now!!Blink
Yes, the Eickman book. It was mentioned there were a couple of errors. Nearly 30 years since I last delved into a Y Block, so all info appreciated.
Slick: the one error in Eickman's book that comes to mind is the photo of installing the timing chain. The engine is upside down in the photo.. so the chain installation is incorrect. Maybe someone else can recall any other errors.. A controversial recommendation is the drilling of oil holes in the valley. Done wrong and the block is ruined & later info re other oiling improvements render it not a good idea.
Thanks Paul, drilling the holes in the valley for cam and lifter lubrication was on my list of things to do!

I found a list of links from Ted on Dec 10th (re rocker arm lubrication) but the link to drilling the valley doesn't work.

I will continue trawling...

Cheers, al.
By pegleg - 11 Years Ago
You may be our first visitor from South Australia, now THAT'S neat. How did you find a Y block there?
By ecode ragtop - 11 Years Ago
Frank, I talked to Charlie Morris at the all Ford Carlisle meet, His part of the book is done it is just up to the publishers to get it where they like it. I think they are trying to dumb it down so the scrub boys dont cry about it.
By ecode ragtop - 11 Years Ago
Ted,Is that the mule on the cover of Charlies book?
By Ted - 11 Years Ago
Tom. That’s the picture of the 2010 Engine Masters Challenge entry. Those are the valve covers that are being used on the dyno mule now.
By pegleg - 11 Years Ago
ecode ragtop (6/15/2013)
Frank, I talked to Charlie Morris at the all Ford Carlisle meet, His part of the book is done it is just up to the publishers to get it where they like it. I think they are trying to dumb it down so the scrub boys dont cry about it.

Hope they don't screw it up too bad.
Howdy Frank, plenty of old Fords here in South Oz. I actually bought my '56 Victoria off Gumtree locally, was supposed to have been restored some years ago, but the more I do, the more dodgy work I come across. Still, it was relatively inexpensive....
By pegleg - 11 Years Ago
IT looks good in your photo.
It looks great from 10ft, however, paint is fairly thin. Basic car, no radio, no power steer, power brakes or fast glass (power seat tho!) I got caught in the rain a couple of months ago and the rear window leaked badly; thought i had ruined the (cloth) upholstery. Turns out front and rear screens had no sealer, so had them pulled out and sealed. While i had the rear seat out, i pulled off the side trims, and there is no rustproofing in the cavities or sill panels at all. Side windows all need re-adjusting for fit and gap, wiring under dash is a nightmare. Engine was supposed to have been rebuilt 12 years/5,000 miles ago; pulled road draught tube canister to check filter and found 1/2" of solid gunge in bottom... will compression check this week-end.Oh well, another project...
By Bob's 55 - 11 Years Ago
slick56 (6/21/2013)
fast glass

Hey Slick, is that what you call power windows in So Oz? I like it...Smooooth
Howdy Bob, I bought a 62 TBird years ago, was advertised with fast glass, that's what I've called it ever since.
By pegleg - 11 Years Ago
Slick, think of it as a challenge! Laugh
Just checked Amazon and book has now been pushed out til middle/end of April

By slick56 - 10 Years Ago

Glad i pre-ordered, just found this on Amazon..

By '55 customline - 3 Years Ago
HEY EVERONE:  JUST A COUPLE OF QUICK QUESTIONS. WHEN I REBUILD MY 272 I AM  GOING FROM A ROAD DRAFT TO A VALLEY PAN WITH P.C.V. BY JOHN MUMMERT. I WAS WONDERING ABOUT A BLOCK OFF PLATE FOR THE EXISTING ROAD DRAFT, BUT AFTER BIT OF RESEARCH I READ THERE WAS ONE PERSON WHO ALSO KEPT THE ROAD DRAFT AS WELL AS THE P.C.V. ANY THOUGHTS ARE APPRECIATED. 

T.D
By miker - 3 Years Ago
This is Ted’s latest post on PCV. Half way down, all the links.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic159033.aspx#bm159038

And no, you probably don’t want to leave that open.
By Joe-JDC - 3 Years Ago
Positive Crankcase Ventilation needs any incoming air to be filtered.  Drawing air from the road draft tube would be counterproductive to that need.  Joe-JDC
By KULTULZ - 3 Years Ago
I WAS WONDERING ABOUT A BLOCK OFF PLATE FOR THE EXISTING ROAD DRAFT, BUT AFTER BIT OF RESEARCH I READ THERE WAS ONE PERSON WHO ALSO KEPT THE ROAD DRAFT AS WELL AS THE P.C.V. ANY THOUGHTS ARE APPRECIATED. 

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/bb344934-4048-4324-bde6-edd9.jpg
By PF Arcand - 3 Years Ago
Re Road Draft cover.. If you have a scrap pce of say 3/16" or 1/4" Aluminum about 4" x 3" you can make a cover with a hacksaw & grinder or file. Drill holes, make a gasket, & your good to bolt it on. I think I used the existing bolts... As noted don't leave the road  draft cover open.  With the oil filler cap screen & the draft cover open, there probably wouldn't be enough vacuum for the valve to operate properly..