Profile Picture

Here’s a call for dual quad intakes for a dyno test

Posted By Ted 12 Years Ago
Rated 4.8 stars based on 3 votes.
Author
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Hitting on all eight cylinders

Hitting on all eight cylinders (21 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (21 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (21 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (21 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (21 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (21 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (21 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (21 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (21 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 11 Years Ago
Impressive figures; especially when you go from 2 carburetors to only ONE, and have slightly more power! A little more on topic, is the aluminum block project for Y s dead?
aussiebill
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
Fairlane Mike (6/1/2013)
Impressive figures; especially when you go from 2 carburetors to only ONE, and have slightly more power! A little more on topic, is the aluminum block project for Y s dead?

Dont believe it was ever going to be aluminum, a cast iron one was in the works, he just needs confirmed interest to commit to making them.

AussieBill            YYYY    Forever Y Block     YYYY

Down Under, Australia

Fairlane Mike
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Hitting on all eight cylinders

Hitting on all eight cylinders (21 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (21 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (21 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (21 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (21 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (21 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (21 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (21 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (21 reputation)

Last Active: 11 Years Ago
I wonder if there would be interest in an aluminum one. Maybe with a raised deck, really thick all over to withstand nitro!
aussiebill
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)

Fairlane Mike (6/2/2013)
I wonder if there would be interest in an aluminum one. Maybe with a raised deck, really thick all over to withstand nitro!

Mike, if you check back on projected features of proposed new block, everything you need is covered but the aluminum one you dream of would suffer same probs as iron one, to produce these to be affordable to more than a handfull of racers is what stops them. I,m sure we can all dream up exotic parts but to manufacture such requres a lot more money than you couild imagine for little or no return! theres other folks here that manufacture parts and know the reality of it. Smile

Down Under, Australia

Ted
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Yesterday

Ditto on what Aussie Bill says. There would undoubtedly be some interest in an aluminum block but having it actually happen is where things get dicey. For one off or niche projects, it takes someone with a personal passion to get these off of the drawing boards.

For the proposed iron 4.125” bore capable cylinder wall blocks for the Y, Verne Schumann needs a commitment for 35 or so to make it financially feasible. He’s having difficulty getting that number of commitments but part of the problem has been in getting the word out to the masses. This is something that needs to hit the mainstream publications rather than just a few internet forum boards. Once Verne has enough people interested in blocks, then a finished block could be ready in as little as nine months.

If anyone is interested in one of the new iron Y blocks, just give Verne a call and get your name on the list. Here’s the link to the past thread giving some of the more pertinent details.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic76753.aspx

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

ian57tbird
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
I couldn't commit to a block at this stage but it could be on the future wish list. Does anyone know close it is to the magic number for production?
Ted
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
ian57tbird (7/12/2013)
I couldn't commit to a block at this stage but it could be on the future wish list. Does anyone know close it is to the magic number for production?

It’s been awhile since I’ve checked but at that time Verne was about half way there. But interest has been so slow that it may not happen. Part of the problem stems from prospective buyers for this block not stepping up to the plate and committing. These same people would like to first see the block in production and then purchase one once it is a proven piece. Verne is not asking for any money down but would like to have a rough idea what the interest level is with people putting their names down on the list as potential buyers. Verne already makes blocks for other applications so this is not a new venture for him.

John Mummert had similar ‘upfront interest’ issues on the Y heads to make it financially viable but he went ahead on his own and made it happen. Now that the heads are in production, sales have been steady with no let up insight. I’ve no doubt that once a big inch Y block is out there outperforming all other similar displacement engines, the same will also hold true for the new blocks. Rough math for a 427 cubed Y has it easily making over 600 HP on pump gas with a streetable compression ratio. And then an engine fully prepped for racing would be considerably higher than this. Race built Y’s are now crowding the 600 horsepower mark so that gives an idea of what a big cubic inch Y is potentially capable of.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

ian57tbird
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
The Y Block is a very heavy small block, and even at 400+ cubes it would still not be a light weight for its capacity. I was wondering why an aluminium block was not considered. I'm not sure if it is fare to draw comparisons, but as an example 427 ford blocks seem to be priced about 20% more in aluminium as compared to cast iron. I realize that it is only a small market and that both would not be realistic. Would there have been problems with reliability for people using then for high HP race applications or would it be to difficult to engineer for a small production.
charliemccraney
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
ian57tbird (7/13/2013)
The Y Block is a very heavy small block, and even at 400+ cubes it would still not be a light weight for its capacity.

However, it has been proven to be able to take considerably more abuse than a stock small block. I wonder how the weight compares to an aftermarket iron small block that can handle 600+hp? That would be a more apples to apples comparison where higher power is concerned. For average street use, it is a heavy engine, though.
A quick look on the Summit site indicates 195lbs for a Ford and 175lbs for a Chevy Dart iron small block. Mummert indicates 155lbs for a bare Y block in his tech info.
I have only heard, no experience, that the average stock small block can handle 450hp at the most, at which point failure isn't really an if, but a when. Can anyone with real world experience confirm this?

Lawrenceville, GA
aussiebill
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

TED, i agree with your remarks, the thought that mostly crosses my mind is the unknown with the remainder of the components for this new block assy. Bit like making a cake and not knowing the recipe, i think most curious or potentialy interested folks would like to see what components this new block will run with, i.e, all stock y block parts and obviously what we need to achieve its max capacity. I then think follks could weigh up the $ input to suit their commitment, just my thoughts! I would like a block!Smile

Down Under, Australia

Reading This Topic

Site Meter