Profile Picture

Relieving a C2AE block

Posted By Rono 13 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (256 reputation)Supercharged (256 reputation)Supercharged (256 reputation)Supercharged (256 reputation)Supercharged (256 reputation)Supercharged (256 reputation)Supercharged (256 reputation)Supercharged (256 reputation)Supercharged (256 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 12 Years Ago
PF Arcand (12/14/2011)
I believe that the overhanging shrouded area was considered by Ford to be a "quench area." Because the design of the Y-Blk heads is somewhat different than many other engines...

The thing about the overhang-shrouded area on that side of the cylinder is that it isn't a quench area at all (even if Ford incorrectly believed it to be at the time), and I think it's a poor design because they were building off of the flathead, and still figuring out the OHV idea. It essentially acts like a dam for air flow. I don't know if it's a good thing or a bad thing to radius that edge. I'm no expert.

All I know is that if there was a huge edge damning the air stream like that in a cylinder runner I'd knock it down. Same principles of airflow hold up in the cylinder.

You will loose compression, but for your build you need low compression and high flow- you are forcing air in. You want more flow, and sacrifice compression to avoid detonation.

Heber City, UT (15 mins outside of Park City- basically it's in the mountains)

55 Effie
Doug T
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (773 reputation)Supercharged (773 reputation)Supercharged (773 reputation)Supercharged (773 reputation)Supercharged (773 reputation)Supercharged (773 reputation)Supercharged (773 reputation)Supercharged (773 reputation)Supercharged (773 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Months Ago

I did it on my engine based on the Carroll Miller article.  However, I think that Ted has right idea and that the only thing necessary is notching for the intake valve with a big cam and small bore.  The gains are probably not much if anything especially with a blown engine.

BTW what are those radial slots in the pistons of Ted's engine?

Doug T

The Highlands, Louisville, Ky.

57FordPU
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
I am speaking for Tim, but this is the reliefs in the first brick 258 cu. in. engine.

It is my opinion that of the many variables in the success of that engine, the quench area and these reliefs played a major role in developing approximately 310 hp.

Charlie Burns Laton, Ca (South of Fresno)

BurnsRacing981@gmail.com

grovedawg
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (256 reputation)Supercharged (256 reputation)Supercharged (256 reputation)Supercharged (256 reputation)Supercharged (256 reputation)Supercharged (256 reputation)Supercharged (256 reputation)Supercharged (256 reputation)Supercharged (256 reputation)

Last Active: 12 Years Ago
57FordPU (12/15/2011)
I am speaking for Tim, but this is the reliefs in the first brick 258 cu. in. engine.

It is my opinion that of the many variables in the success of that engine, the quench area and these reliefs played a major role in developingapproximately 310 hp.

I think you do gain better flow with the reliefs, and if you plan for it you can make up for loss of compression in shaving the heads.

You could also simulate this with a bench flow and test which results are better.

Heber City, UT (15 mins outside of Park City- basically it's in the mountains)

55 Effie
MoonShadow
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)

Last Active: 4 hours ago
Waiting for Ted to post his 2cents. My memory wont allow me to recall the specifics but wasn't the design of the Y-Block chambers supposed to be way ahead of the competition? I've heard a name for the type of design but it must be in offline storage! Smile Chuck

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire
Rono
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Hey Chuck;

You, me and Y Block Billy will need to hook up next summer. We are all within a couple of hundred miles of eachother. I'd like to check out your McCulloch set-up too.

Rono

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/4a19e870-e870-4f63-a0a4-db5b.jpg  Ron Lane,  Meridian, ID

charliemccraney
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 6 hours ago
I remember cartoid or carotid or something like that. It was the design of the 239 chamber and it does have visual similarities to modern combustion chambers. I think it's in the Eikmann book. But then they changed it. They definitely got something right because they produce excellent specific torque output.

Lawrenceville, GA
The Master Cylinder
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
It's called the Ricardo combustion chamber after Harry Ricardo. It is a design that promotes high turbulence in the chamber. He designed this type of combustion chamber in the early 1900's so it is not unique to the Y-Block. Smooooth

http://www.y-blocksforever.com/forums/Uploads/Images/af13a279-385d-4926-92f2-349a.jpg"The Master Cylinder"

Enjoying life at the beach in SOCAL Smooooth

MoonShadow
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)

Last Active: 4 hours ago
Sounds great! I need to get up to Billy's place anyway he has some bumpers for me. We'll have to pick a weekend when the snows not blowing. I'm available almost anytime. Lets set it up! Bills the one that keeps traveling. Chuck

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire
Ted
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 days ago
Doug T (12/14/2011)
.....BTW what are those radial slots in the pistons of Ted's engine?
Doug.  Those radial slots are valve reliefs.  Here’s another picture that’s not blown up so much.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Reading This Topic

Site Meter