Relieving a C2AE block

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic65913.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Rono - 13 Years Ago
Guys;

I've built a couple of other Y-Blocks, but never have tried this before so I'm a bit nervous. Anyway, before I put the carbide to the iron I would like your advice and even "is this trip even necessary"?

This is my 331 cu.in. blower motor project using a modified VS57 supercharger with a high output impeller that John Erb says should produce 7-9 psi boost. I got some pictures and info on how to do it and I'm posting a couple of pictures here of what I'm planning;

Using new Fel-Pro Permatorque head gaskets I set scribe lines in blue dye. The cylinder ring ridge is about 0.300" from the deck so using an old (borrowed) piston I set it in the hole about 1/2 way to the ring ridge(0.150") as a guide. The black duct tape on the piston is so I won't gouge it by accident. USing a carbide burr I'll SLOWLY cut out these areas being careful to stay inside the scribe line. I'll buff the cut outs with tapered rolls and cross buffs so carbon doesn't build up. That's basically the plan. I'll be using ported 471 heads and also planning on drilling a new road draft tube hole in the block where they were on the 56-57 motors to relieve crankcase pressure.

So, what are your thoughts? Is this step really necessary. I'm not proud, I'll stop right now if the benefit is minimal.

Rono

By pegleg - 13 Years Ago
Why?
By The Master Cylinder - 13 Years Ago
I'm not sure why you would want to do this. Is this a speed "secret" that you saw somewhere? Are you confusing Y-Blocks with Ford Flatheads, where the block is relieved for better flow from the valves that are in the block to the cylinder?
By Rono - 13 Years Ago
Okay, Gord McMillen has been providing me the info and pictures. He has built and raced quite a few supercharged Y-blocks and is manufacturing the blower kits for y-block set-ups. His rationale for the block relieving is so the motor can breathe better under boost considering the typical valve shrouding of the Y-Block heads. Maybe the 471 heads I'm using pose less of a problem than the "G" heads or Mummerts new aluminum heads, I'm not sure, but if you guys think I can skip taking the risk on doing this (one bad slip and the block is toast), I'll be happy to pass on it. below is one of the pictures that Gord sent me.Rono
By aussiebill - 13 Years Ago
Rono (11/19/2011)
Okay, Gord McMillen has been providing me the info and pictures. He has built and raced quite a few supercharged Y-blocks and is manufacturing the blower kits for y-block set-ups. His rationale for the block relieving is so the motor can breathe better under boost considering the typical valve shrouding of the Y-Block heads. Maybe the 471 heads I'm using pose less of a problem than the "G" heads or Mummerts new aluminum heads, I'm not sure, but if you guys think I can skip taking the risk on doing this (one bad slip and the block is toast), I'll be happy to pass on it. below is one of the pictures that Gord sent me.Rono

I have done this block relieving on y blocks for years and see no problems if you go carefully. Many of us have little pecularities/features that we like to do when building engines, After being on here for a fair while it sure is obvious that a majority of relative newcomers seem to want to reinvent the wheel or y block. Go with your idea carefully and doubt you could toast your block. Just my opinion. regards bill.Smile

By Grumpy1 - 13 Years Ago
Hi

Im new to the forum, but this is my 2 cents.  If you understand the risks and you can afford to possibly ruin this block, then i say go for it.  Remember that buy doing this you will be lowering the compression ratio.

Hope this link helps

http://www.streetrodderweb.com/tech/0905sr_ford_flathead_myths/index.html

By Pete 55Tbird - 13 Years Ago
Another opinion. If the purpose of grinding on your block is to unshroud the valves then I say don`t do it. Most sources I have seen recommend that the heads should be relieved not the block. Since you are using a blower that may not be very important anyway. And modern theory is that swirl of the intake charge is more important than absolute airflow. And the valves are really only shrouded at low valve lifts so what do you hope this will gain. Like I said, just an opinion. Pete
By NoShortcuts - 13 Years Ago
The value of some things done in modifying an engine are hard to measure (unless you have a dynamometer). IF you look up the bore of a y-block with the cylinder head in place the valves are significantly shrouded. Relieving the block (flathead Ford terminology) is an effort to improve volumetric efficiency not unlike porting cylinder heads.

Yes, you are modifying the combustion chamber shape. Yes, you will slightly increase the effective combustion chamber size, you will slightly decrease the compression ratio, and you will change the turbulence in the combustion chamber.

When I have done this, it has been on normally aspirating engines, not supercharged or turbocharged. I mention this because some feel that even cylinder head porting is of less value when the air fuel mixture is pushed into the combustion chamber rather than merely drawn in by atmospheric pressure and the 5th cycle of the 4 stroke engine.

Make sure that the depth of the material removal is less than the top ring groove of the pistons you will actually be using. Although time consuming, I have finished the material removal by using a hand file to ensure a uniform taper from the gasket ring to the top of the cylinder bore.

IF you look closely at the pictures of Ted Eaton's EMC entry in Y-Block magazine earlier this year, you'll notice that the deck of his engine had the same relieving that you are proposing to do.

I think that little things do make a difference in the building of an engine. I like the way AussieBill put it. Smile

Regards,
By Ted - 13 Years Ago

Here are some pictures of what I do.  This simply gives a bit of room around the intake valve when it’s fully depressed.  When using higher than normal lifts at the valve, this notch becomes mandatory in that it keeps the intake valve off the edge of the cylinder.  When notching the cylinders, make sure the notch does not get into the top ring area of the cylinder.

By Rono - 13 Years Ago
I want to thank everybody for their comments and thank Ted for his pictures and advice. I'm glad I checked the distance from the piston top to the first compression ring on the new forged pistons because that only measured about 0.250" as compared to the stock piston which was about 0.330". So, my relief will be shallower and I don't plan on going any deeper than 0.125" max. I'll post more pictures when I get it done.

Rono

By pegleg - 13 Years Ago
I'd really like to see some substantial proof that it works before I chopped the block. I can actually see a couple reasons why it would detract from the hp numbers. Lower compression and driving mixture away from the plug during compression. I'm thinking that if there was a benefit, Ford would have done it on the F codes.

No shortcuts. There is a benefit to porting a supercharged engine. If you can attain the same flow with less blower pressure, you can reduce that pressure and achieve the same power or more. There's less parasitic drag from the blower and reduced intake temperature. Obviously you want to help the exhaust side as much as possible, because you have really helped the intake with the blower. 

By Missouri Mike - 13 Years Ago
I've also talked to Gord and he has sent me a lot of info as well. I believe that like John M and Ted, Gord does a number of things because of his experience.

Quote from Gord on the subject:"The valves are shrouded by the deck surface in a Y-block because the combustion chambers hang over the sides of the block.  This restricts the air flow into the cylinders".

Does it lower CR? Maybe, but then you can run more boost. Does it mess with turbulence? Don't know, but great quanities of air are being forced in by a blower or turbo.

Joe Abbin of Roadrunner Engineering (blown flatheads for the street) has done extensive dyno work and has imperical data to show that in flatheads, the slight loss of power due to lower cr is more than made up for by improved airflow and the increase in power it provides. Yes, I know, that's a flathead, not a y block. 

Don't know if it works, don't know that it doesn't.  But how many with high performance Y blocks are doing the little bit of block relieving that Ted showed us.

Just sayin'................

Missouri Mike

By Rono - 13 Years Ago
Frank;

I guess the only way to really proove there are gains or not in a measurable way would be to build to identical motors, one with the block reliefs and one without. I spoke to an engine builder down on Long Island (a friend of a friend) who said he did  very similar reliefs on 351 blocks. I'm just sayin'Hehe

By Missouri Mike - 13 Years Ago
Oh yeah!!

Forgot to add one thing.

I don't have the nerve or a steady enough hand to for something like this!!!!!!!!!!

Just stirring the pot.

Missouri Mike

By PF Arcand - 13 Years Ago
Mike: you can't equate the Ford flat head situation with a Y-Blk. It's a different setup totally. And Ted did the small reliefs on the illistrated engine for valve clearance... A buddy of mine years ago did the reliefs on his Y-Blk gasser. As far as we could tell, it made little difference. Probably offset any gains by loss of compression.
By charliemccraney - 13 Years Ago
If this article about Karol Miller is accurate, it is one of many things he did to get that 150.097mph record.

"Carefully, the top of each cylinder bore was chamfered from the chamber outline to a point just above the top of ring travel."

http://yblock.blogspot.com/2007/07/ford-success-stories-karol-miller.html

By Rono - 13 Years Ago
Charlie;

What a great article! Thanks for posting it. I'm still flip-flopping on whether or not to relieve the block, basically because I am using the lower compression 471 heads to start with. So, even though I could possibly be generating 9 psi boost with the modified VS57,could I be loosing power by lowering the compression even more by relieving the block? If just a minimal HP gain, I don't know if it's worth the risk and the work.

Rono

I think that everything else being equal, yes you will loose power. You'll notice in that article that domed pistons were also used to account for the increased combustion chamber volume. But I'm no expert and it does not seem that anyone really knows. The increased flow potential could out way a decrease in compression... or it may not. Karol could have had that wrong, at the expense of a mph or 2.
By PF Arcand - 13 Years Ago
I believe that the overhanging shrouded area was considered by Ford to be a "quench area." Because the design of the Y-Blk heads is somewhat different than many other engines, there's ample indication that they were misunderstood by many engine builders. How many times have we read that "you can't do much with these heads." People like our moderater, Ted & in particular, John Mummert, have proven those statements to be wrong.. Anyway, Rono, you already have low compression 471 heads, that much removal of material will likely lower compression significantly. As I said earlier, my buddy did that to his Y-Blk Drag engine years ago, and as far as we could tell there was little if any benefit...
By grovedawg - 13 Years Ago
I did it to my block and haven't thought twice about it since. You won't ruin your block if you're patient, and slow. Make a mark as to where your top ring land will be, stay above that, and carefully radius the edge to allow for a better flow into the cylinder on your intake stroke. I'm already beyond what most people consider acceptable compression on iron heads- but the loss of one totwo cc's didn't bother me. I ended up at 10.1:1 compression. Here are the pics of my block, and my cylinder heads. And I develop fairly decent power with my motor.

The only pics I could quickly find were when I was measuring piston to valve clearance. But you can see the reliefs.
PF Arcand (12/14/2011)
I believe that the overhanging shrouded area was considered by Ford to be a "quench area." Because the design of the Y-Blk heads is somewhat different than many other engines...

The thing about the overhang-shrouded area on that side of the cylinder is that it isn't a quench area at all (even if Ford incorrectly believed it to be at the time), and I think it's a poor design because they were building off of the flathead, and still figuring out the OHV idea. It essentially acts like a dam for air flow. I don't know if it's a good thing or a bad thing to radius that edge. I'm no expert.

All I know is that if there was a huge edge damning the air stream like that in a cylinder runner I'd knock it down. Same principles of airflow hold up in the cylinder.

You will loose compression, but for your build you need low compression and high flow- you are forcing air in. You want more flow, and sacrifice compression to avoid detonation.
By Doug T - 13 Years Ago

I did it on my engine based on the Carroll Miller article.  However, I think that Ted has right idea and that the only thing necessary is notching for the intake valve with a big cam and small bore.  The gains are probably not much if anything especially with a blown engine.

BTW what are those radial slots in the pistons of Ted's engine?

By 57FordPU - 13 Years Ago
I am speaking for Tim, but this is the reliefs in the first brick 258 cu. in. engine.

It is my opinion that of the many variables in the success of that engine, the quench area and these reliefs played a major role in developing approximately 310 hp.

57FordPU (12/15/2011)
I am speaking for Tim, but this is the reliefs in the first brick 258 cu. in. engine.

It is my opinion that of the many variables in the success of that engine, the quench area and these reliefs played a major role in developingapproximately 310 hp.

I think you do gain better flow with the reliefs, and if you plan for it you can make up for loss of compression in shaving the heads.

You could also simulate this with a bench flow and test which results are better.
By MoonShadow - 13 Years Ago
Waiting for Ted to post his 2cents. My memory wont allow me to recall the specifics but wasn't the design of the Y-Block chambers supposed to be way ahead of the competition? I've heard a name for the type of design but it must be in offline storage! Smile Chuck
By Rono - 13 Years Ago
Hey Chuck;

You, me and Y Block Billy will need to hook up next summer. We are all within a couple of hundred miles of eachother. I'd like to check out your McCulloch set-up too.

Rono

I remember cartoid or carotid or something like that. It was the design of the 239 chamber and it does have visual similarities to modern combustion chambers. I think it's in the Eikmann book. But then they changed it. They definitely got something right because they produce excellent specific torque output.
By The Master Cylinder - 13 Years Ago
It's called the Ricardo combustion chamber after Harry Ricardo. It is a design that promotes high turbulence in the chamber. He designed this type of combustion chamber in the early 1900's so it is not unique to the Y-Block. Smooooth
By MoonShadow - 13 Years Ago
Sounds great! I need to get up to Billy's place anyway he has some bumpers for me. We'll have to pick a weekend when the snows not blowing. I'm available almost anytime. Lets set it up! Bills the one that keeps traveling. Chuck
By Ted - 13 Years Ago
Doug T (12/14/2011)
.....BTW what are those radial slots in the pistons of Ted's engine?
Doug.  Those radial slots are valve reliefs.  Here’s another picture that’s not blown up so much.

What about those slots running from side to side (top to bottom in the picture)? Do they help accelerate the mixture toward the plug?
By Ted - 13 Years Ago

The straight slots are there to help direct the compressed air/fuel mixture towards the spark plugs from the quench area.  These are typically used as a detonation deterrent.

By Rono - 13 Years Ago
Well, after alot of discussion with myself and others, I decided to go ahead with relieveing my C2AE block along with some other mods for this blower application. I didn't have a piston that was a good fit for the bores, so I made a template out of a hardwood block for a guide while using the carbide cutter. I think it worked out pretty well. I also drilled out the hole for the early style road draft tube using a 1&1/4" carbide tipped hole saw, removed the ridges and polished the center 3 main webs and ground off the casting marks and polished the area around the distributor hole for easy cleaning. I'm on a roll nowBigGrin

Rono