Profile Picture

Used Cam and Tappets in Another Block

Posted By ray 13 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Normally aspirated (33 reputation)Normally aspirated (33 reputation)Normally aspirated (33 reputation)Normally aspirated (33 reputation)Normally aspirated (33 reputation)Normally aspirated (33 reputation)Normally aspirated (33 reputation)Normally aspirated (33 reputation)Normally aspirated (33 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 12 Years Ago
Any experience swapping a good original stock Ford cam and lifters from a problem engine into a good block? Are the tappet bores accurate enough between blocks that the original wear patterns will be the same?

tia,

ray

ray
snowcone
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (364 reputation)Supercharged (364 reputation)Supercharged (364 reputation)Supercharged (364 reputation)Supercharged (364 reputation)Supercharged (364 reputation)Supercharged (364 reputation)Supercharged (364 reputation)Supercharged (364 reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
You should replace the cam bearings but the lifter bores will be OK provided there is no existing damage to them

Gary - 1958 Star Customline and 1940 Ford Deluxe Hotrod

Rono
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Ray;

I think it can be done, but there could be problems if you don't replace the specific lifter on the came lobe it was riding on when you put everything into another block. This is because of different wear patterns on the lifter face. If you make a lifter holder and number the lifters to match the cam lobes you should be okay.

Rono

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/4a19e870-e870-4f63-a0a4-db5b.jpg  Ron Lane,  Meridian, ID

Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (430 reputation)Supercharged (430 reputation)Supercharged (430 reputation)Supercharged (430 reputation)Supercharged (430 reputation)Supercharged (430 reputation)Supercharged (430 reputation)Supercharged (430 reputation)Supercharged (430 reputation)

Last Active: 6 Years Ago
keep things in order and you will have no problem.ive often mixed them up and still were ok.
ray
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Normally aspirated (33 reputation)Normally aspirated (33 reputation)Normally aspirated (33 reputation)Normally aspirated (33 reputation)Normally aspirated (33 reputation)Normally aspirated (33 reputation)Normally aspirated (33 reputation)Normally aspirated (33 reputation)Normally aspirated (33 reputation)

Thanks for the replies and thoughts. The question is academic now anyway. I dropped the rack holding the liftersw00t. So now the original cam and lifters are on the way to Oregon Cam grinders.

ray
46yblock
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)

Last Active: 11 Years Ago
Happenings like that can bring out quite a few choice wordsTongue.   It is all for the better thoughSmile.

Mike, located in the Siskiyou mountains, Southern, OR 292 powered 1946 Ford 1/2 ton, '62 Mercury Meteor, '55 Country Squire (parting out), '64 Falcon, '54 Ford 600 tractor.

slumlord444
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
How about regrinding it to the blower cam spec's?
PF Arcand
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Sum; Might be feasible but a re grind like that apparently often requires reducing the base circle. It may not be practicle to get the proper lift etc. Best start with a new blank..

Paul
ray
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

This cam goes into a working 272 powered F-350 so I want the power / torque at idle and just off idle. I have few doubts the original cam will not grind to original specs but I told the good folks at OCG I want a new cam if this one will not grind to specs. Thanks.

ray

ray
Ted
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 days ago
Ray. It sounds like your question was settled for you when the lifters got jumbled up. The reusing of lifters is a controversial subject and has been brought up before. Here are links to past threads on the subject. Some of these threads are several pages long and reading the additional pages will be necessary to get the full picture.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic60188.aspx

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic53489.aspx

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic52298.aspx

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic33040.aspx

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic1161.aspx

Performing a search on the site will bring up more threads on the subject and you’ll see that opinions vary widely on this subject. From my own perspective, used lifters being moved from one block to another is a substantial risk. There’s already enough risk in using new cams and lifters without increasing the chance for failure by using used lifters from another engine. From a shop’s perspective, the risk is simply too high to provide any kind of warranty that could cover this. If I had to use a camshaft from another engine, I’d at least put new lifters on it to reduce the amount of risk of cam lobe failure. Valve spring pressure also plays into this and an increasing of the valve spring pressure over the stock values compounds the issue.

I’ll add that as long as new U.S. made lifters are available, I’ll not use reground lifters in a given application. I reserve the regrinding of lifters for those engines that no longer have a viable new lifter source available for them.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Reading This Topic

Site Meter