Profile Picture

Exhaust Manifold Gaskets

Posted By Ted 17 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 17 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 3 days ago
Here's a pic of the heavy duty truck exhaust manifold gaskets with the valve cover shields.  I started using these upon having a rash of exhaust manifolds crack or break upon after using the fibre gaskets that were being supplied with the rebuild kits.  These gaskets greatly reduced the occurence of exhaust manifolds cracking on my end.  This particular pair of gaskets are FelPro P/N MS-95003 but can likely be found in other brands also  The top gasket shows the side that goes toward the head while the lower gasket shows the side that is placed against the exhaust manifold itself.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

46yblock
Posted 17 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 11 Years Ago
These gaskets were used on trucks equipped with the Rams Horn exhausts to help shield the valve cover area from the high rising manifold.

Mike, located in the Siskiyou mountains, Southern, OR 292 powered 1946 Ford 1/2 ton, '62 Mercury Meteor, '55 Country Squire (parting out), '64 Falcon, '54 Ford 600 tractor.

MoonShadow
Posted 17 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
I've always thought those would look so good in Chrome or Stainless, or even powder coat for that matter. ChuckBigGrin

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire
pcmenten
Posted 17 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (381 reputation)Supercharged (381 reputation)Supercharged (381 reputation)Supercharged (381 reputation)Supercharged (381 reputation)Supercharged (381 reputation)Supercharged (381 reputation)Supercharged (381 reputation)Supercharged (381 reputation)

Last Active: 7 Years Ago
Thanks Ted. I'll go get some tomorrow.

Powercoating might add too much weight. But it sure would be nice to do that to reduce heat transfer.

Best regards,

Paul Menten

Meridian, Idaho

56 ford custom
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (318 reputation)Supercharged (318 reputation)Supercharged (318 reputation)Supercharged (318 reputation)Supercharged (318 reputation)Supercharged (318 reputation)Supercharged (318 reputation)Supercharged (318 reputation)Supercharged (318 reputation)

Last Active: 5 Years Ago
My truck came with these but had the regular single exhaust manifolds. Should I still keep using these? If I use these do I Still need to use the other gaskets too?

Fomoco Low Life
charliemccraney
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: Yesterday
pcmenten (7/17/2007)
Powercoating might add too much weight. But it sure would be nice to do that to reduce heat transfer.

I do believe that a part of the purpose of this gasket is to promote heat transfer to better cool the manifold which in turn prevents it from cracking.

Lawrenceville, GA
gritsngumbo
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (168 reputation)Supercharged (168 reputation)Supercharged (168 reputation)Supercharged (168 reputation)Supercharged (168 reputation)Supercharged (168 reputation)Supercharged (168 reputation)Supercharged (168 reputation)Supercharged (168 reputation)

Last Active: 8 Years Ago
Ted: Are these pretty readily available? Or are the difficult to find?

Gerald Ingram aka "Gritsngumbo"
Monroe, LA
LITTLE RED: 64 Ford F100 Short Bed Styleside
BIG RED: 63 Ford F100 Long Bed Unibody
BBW RED: 61 Ford F100 BBW Long Bed Custom Cab Unibody
BIG “UN: 63 F250 Longbed Flareside
CREW CAB: 63 F100 "Stageway" Crew Cab w/Long "Wrong" Bed
Ted
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)

gritsngumbo (6/2/2011)
Ted: Are these pretty readily available? Or are the difficult to find?
It’s been since the tail-end of last year since I’ve ordered any of these but the warehouse in Dallas where I get my parts was still stocking them at that time.  Taking a quick look at Ebay shows several sets for sale so these appear to still be available.

Ted
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

56 ford custom (6/2/2011)
My truck came with these but had the regular single exhaust manifolds. Should I still keep using these? If I use these do I Still need to use the other gaskets too?
The HD truck exhaust gaskets are designed to sandwich between the heads and the exhaust manifolds without any additional gaskets.  Using the fibre gaskets on either side of the truck gasket will prevent the prerequisite heat transfer that needs to take place between the heads and the exhaust manifolds.  It’s ideally best to go with a metal to metal fit at the heads/exhaust manifolds or use the HD truck exhaust gaskets if trying to minimize exhaust manifold breakage issues.  Keep in mind that all the Y car engines other than the HD trucks came from the factory without any form of exhaust gasket at the heads.

The Master Cylinder
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Ted, what are your thoughts on the copper exhaust manifold gaskets that are available?

http://www.y-blocksforever.com/forums/Uploads/Images/af13a279-385d-4926-92f2-349a.jpg"The Master Cylinder"

Enjoying life at the beach in SOCAL Smooooth

Reading This Topic

Site Meter