Profile Picture

Exhaust Testing - 314 Y-Block

Posted By Ted 14 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Yesterday

Here are the dyno results where several sets of headers are tested on a 314” Y.  Engine particulars include a 3.810” bore (+060 over 292 block), 312 crank with turned down mains, C2AE truck rods, ported ‘G’ heads, 12½:1 compression ratio with Dykes rings in the top lands, extrude honed Blue Thunder aluminum 4V intake, Isky 505-T cam with 254° @ 0.050” duration ground on 108° lobe centers and installed at 106° intake lobe centerline (2° advance), 1.6:1 Dove rockers, and a 830cfm Holley vacuum secondary carburetor sitting atop a 2” HiFlo spacer.  Engine performance comparisons are made in the 2500-6800 rpm range.

Here are some specifics on the headers involved in this test.

1. EMC headers – 1.750” X 1.875” stepped tubes with 3” merge collectors.
  2. Chrome drag car chassis headers – 1.750” tubes with 3½” collectors.  Tested with 6” long 3½” diameter collector extensions and also with 27” long 3½” diameter collector extensions.
  3. Upswept dragster headers – 2” tubes with 3½” collectors
  4. Sanderson truck headers – 1½” diameter short length tubes with 2.375” collector openings.
  5. Fenderwell headers – Circle Track specials, 1.750” diameter & long tubes with 4” collectors.
  6. Fenderwell headers – Drag car specials, 1.625” diameter & long tubes with 3” collectors.

To keep the graphs from being too busy, they are broken down as two sets with the Sanderson headers being common on both graphs for comparison purposes.

Scoring is calculated from the 2800 thru 6800 rpms range and is as follows:

Sanderson truck headers, 1½” tubes, 2.375” collectors    - 1718 pts.

EMC headers w/o mufflers (stepped tubes, 3” collector   – 1715 pts.

Upswept dragster headers w/2” tubes, 3½” collectors     1702 pts.

Chrome drag car chassis headers w/27” extension          1700 pts.

Fenderwell headers w/1.625” tubes, 3” collectors           1692 pts.

Chrome drag car chassis headers w/6” extension           1690 pts.

Fenderwell headers w/2” tubes, 4” collectors                1679 pts.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

charliemccraney
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Any idea how old the Sandersons are? They don't show a 1.625", 3" collector on the website.

Lawrenceville, GA
Fordy Guy
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (106 reputation)Supercharged (106 reputation)Supercharged (106 reputation)Supercharged (106 reputation)Supercharged (106 reputation)Supercharged (106 reputation)Supercharged (106 reputation)Supercharged (106 reputation)Supercharged (106 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 10 Years Ago
Nice results for the different headers. Have you had a chance to do any testing on the Thunderbird Specific headers? The 314 would be an excellent engine to work with.

Bud in Northern Arizona on route 66 in Winslow (standin' on the corner)

If you're American, buy American

631/2 Galaxie 500XL 406   55 T-Bird

Ted
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

charliemccraney (11/12/2010)
Any idea how old the Sandersons are? They don't show a 1.625", 3" collector on the website.
Charlie.  The Sanderson headers are on loan from Charlie Burns who might know more about their history or age.  From their looks, they’ve been around for awhile.  I’ve corrected the sizes for them above as they are 1½” tubes with a 2.375” collector opening.  I’ll post some pictures in the next few days of the various headers which should clear up some of the questions about them.

Ted
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Fordy Guy (11/12/2010)
Nice results for the different headers. Have you had a chance to do any testing on the Thunderbird Specific headers? The 314 would be an excellent engine to work with.
Afraid I don’t have any Thunderbird specific headers here other than a very custom set supplied by Gary Burnette and those are a Tri-Y design and not a four tube design.  I’m still gathering up parts and pieces though for extensive exhaust testing on the 322” dyno mule with ported G heads.  This test will also include a variety of cast iron manifolds as well a myriad assortment of headers.  Parts wise, this engine is closer to what many Saturday night cruisers are running but the ported heads are expected to help quantify the differences between some of the systems that will be tested.

Ted
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Here are pics of the various headers that were used in this particular test.

EMC headers – 1.750” X 1.875” stepped tubes with 3” merge collectors.

Chrome drag car chassis headers – 1.750” tubes with 3½” collectors.  Tested with 6” longer 3½” diameter collector extensions and also with 27” longer 3½” diameter collector extensions.

Upswept dragster headers – 2” tubes with 3½” collectors

Sanderson truck headers – 1½” diameter short length tubes with 2.375” collector openings.

Fenderwell headers – Circle Track specials, 1.750” diameter & long tubes with 4” collectors.

Fenderwell headers – Drag car specials, 1.625” diameter & long tubes with 3” collectors

charliemccraney
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Ted (11/12/2010)
Charlie. The Sanderson headers are on loan from Charlie Burns who might know more about their history or age.

No need now that the size is cleared up. They seem to perform pretty well. I can't wait to see how they compare to the Red's stubbies and all of the others.

I chose Red's over Sanderson because the short and abrupt collector of the Sanderson just didn't look like it will work too well although it appears that the Sanderson header is mandrel bent (or use better tooling) whereas Red's is not.

Lawrenceville, GA
mctim64
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)

Last Active: 5 Years Ago
Wow!  the Sandersons didn't do too bad, and I wanted to replace them. w00t  These are the same type that is running on the Brick although this set came off of Steve Johnsons F-250 when he got a set of Mummert Ram Horns.  I am going to re-do the 1 3/4" headers that we made for the Brick last summer so the will work on the new Uni LSR truck but I may want those Sandersons back instead. BigGrin

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/b1f2e0d6-2566-46b3-b81d-3ff3.jpg   God Bless. Smile  Tim                           http://yblockguy.com/

350ci Y-Block FED "Elwood", 301ci Y-Block Unibody LSR "Jake", 312ci Y-Block '58 F-100, 338ci Y-Block powered Model A Tudor

tim@yblockguy.com  Visalia, California    Just west of the Sequoias

MarkMontereyBay
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)

Last Active: 5 Years Ago
Ted, I have a new set of Sanderson's for my 57 TBird that I purchased a couple months ago. They are still in the box and awaiting the delivery of Mummert's aluminum heads. If you want to test them let me know and I can ship them out to you.

57 Black Tbird 312/auto

idaho211
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (162 reputation)Supercharged (162 reputation)Supercharged (162 reputation)Supercharged (162 reputation)Supercharged (162 reputation)Supercharged (162 reputation)Supercharged (162 reputation)Supercharged (162 reputation)Supercharged (162 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
Really appreciate the tests.  Was wondering the comparison between the sanderson truck manifolds and the ram horns.  Do you think the ram horns would have done better on the engine you tested the sandersons on? I wanted to get maximal flow on my 272 but like the ease of routing on the ram horns.  Thank you.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter