Profile Picture

Drilling Holes

Posted By petew 15 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (306 reputation)Supercharged (306 reputation)Supercharged (306 reputation)Supercharged (306 reputation)Supercharged (306 reputation)Supercharged (306 reputation)Supercharged (306 reputation)Supercharged (306 reputation)Supercharged (306 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 6 Years Ago
Just got my gasket kit so I can reassemble my 312. The head gaskets are 7999PT Fel Pro and they came with an instruction sheet that calls for drilling holes in the block deck and matching head surface. These holes would be located between cylinders 2 & 3 and cylinders 6 & 7. an upper hole of 11/64" and a lower hole of 1/4". The holes are in the gaskets and according to Fel Pro drilling matching holes in the head and deck will aid in cooling the motor. Is this a good thing ? Or should I avoid the proceedure ?

Pete

oldcarmark
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Last Active: 48 minutes ago
I just did a google on "drilling extra holes in a y-block head" and there is an article about this modification.It is recommended to help improve cooling.Its probably discussed on this site previously but doing 2-3 searches I havent found previous discussions.Try doing a google and its the fifth line on the one I did. 

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg
Larry D
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (228 reputation)Supercharged (228 reputation)Supercharged (228 reputation)Supercharged (228 reputation)Supercharged (228 reputation)Supercharged (228 reputation)Supercharged (228 reputation)Supercharged (228 reputation)Supercharged (228 reputation)

Last Active: 8 Years Ago
Hi Pete,

If it's a street motor drill the holes.  It helps reduce the temperature between the two side by side exhaust valves.  If it's a race engine or blower motor leave it alone.

Larry D

Winnipeg, MB Canada Eh!

http://www.y-blocksforever.com/forums/Uploads/Images/3642c449-9b40-4ff1-a7a8-2502.jpg
'57 Fairlane 500 Club Victoria

'58 Custom 300 Tudor

'56 Crown Victoria

'61 Starliner Z Code

'51 Ford Victoria

Ted
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 11 hours ago

Here’s a past post on the steam holes.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic10608.aspx

Doing a search on this site will net some other discussions. I’m personally not a fan of the steam holes but they can be of benefit on the 1960-1962 Ford cars where the water levels may get lower than normal. On the pickups and earlier model cars with the taller radiators, the benefit is questionable. Other than these holes being just large enough to purge air from the block, they are not large enough to do any additional engine cooling by themselves. If they were any larger, they would divert coolant that would normally be forced to the back of the block and in turn create some other issues.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

petew
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (306 reputation)Supercharged (306 reputation)Supercharged (306 reputation)Supercharged (306 reputation)Supercharged (306 reputation)Supercharged (306 reputation)Supercharged (306 reputation)Supercharged (306 reputation)Supercharged (306 reputation)

Last Active: 6 Years Ago
Thanks for all of the replys. The application for my bone stock 312 is a 56 Merc with a very tall radiator that sits much higher then the top of the engine. While I like the idea of potential additional cooling I think I'm going to pass on drilling the holes. Instead I'm going to do a few things that the previous rebuilder didn't like putting the head gaskest on properly so that the word FRONT is really at the front on both sides and put all of the head bolts in their proper places. Those adjustments as well as the aluminum Griffin radiator that I had built for the car should keep it cool. Thanks again.

Pete

Reading This Topic

Site Meter