Profile Picture

shop project update

Posted By Dan 16 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 16 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (240 reputation)Supercharged (240 reputation)Supercharged (240 reputation)Supercharged (240 reputation)Supercharged (240 reputation)Supercharged (240 reputation)Supercharged (240 reputation)Supercharged (240 reputation)Supercharged (240 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 13 Years Ago
Gonna try and post some pics of our build in the school shop up to now. We have the block bored and the pistons installed on the rods. Just waiting now to get bearings, gaskets, etc. Folks here on the board have been way more than generous donating parts to the build - when we finish any unused parts will be offered up to those who may need them.

pcmenten
Posted 16 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (381 reputation)Supercharged (381 reputation)Supercharged (381 reputation)Supercharged (381 reputation)Supercharged (381 reputation)Supercharged (381 reputation)Supercharged (381 reputation)Supercharged (381 reputation)Supercharged (381 reputation)

Last Active: 7 Years Ago
Looks like you are building an ECG 272.

Don't forget to drill the steam holes in both the block deck and the heads.

And, what is that stuck into the dipstick hole in the front of the block? A bolt?

Is that block painted Cheby orange? Horrors!

Looks like fun.

Best regards,

Paul Menten

Meridian, Idaho

mctim64
Posted 16 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)

Last Active: 5 Years Ago
Looks great! thanks for posting the pictures, keep us updated. Smile

Nice clean shop.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/b1f2e0d6-2566-46b3-b81d-3ff3.jpg   God Bless. Smile  Tim                           http://yblockguy.com/

350ci Y-Block FED "Elwood", 301ci Y-Block Unibody LSR "Jake", 312ci Y-Block '58 F-100, 338ci Y-Block powered Model A Tudor

tim@yblockguy.com  Visalia, California    Just west of the Sequoias

2DRHRDTP57
Posted 16 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (213 reputation)Supercharged (213 reputation)Supercharged (213 reputation)Supercharged (213 reputation)Supercharged (213 reputation)Supercharged (213 reputation)Supercharged (213 reputation)Supercharged (213 reputation)Supercharged (213 reputation)

Last Active: 8 Years Ago
pcmenten (11/20/2008)

Don't forget to drill the steam holes in both the block deck and the heads.

Steam holes???? Can you explain identify etc ??? Is this just a 272 thing???

Cheers

1957 ________________ Ford

\___((_______________))___/

(@)________V__________(@)

[________I_____I_________]

__[__]__ o_______o___[__]___

Y Blocks, The New Flathead!

Ted
Posted 16 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 days ago
Don’t get overwrought about not having the steam holes if they are not there.  When Ford put the 292 into the lower profiled hooded ‘60-62 cars with the subsequently lower than engine radiators, there was an inclination for steam pockets to form between the center cylinders if the engine became slightly low on coolant.  To insure these steam pockets didn’t form, small holes were put in the block and the heads between the center cylinders to insure the air between the cylinders was bled off.  If inclined to add the 3/16" holes to the block, then use the head gasket as a pattern for the hole location.  If the heads don’t have the steam holes, then it’s a moot point unless the holes are also put in the heads also.  If the engine is going into an earlier Ford or a pickup, then the steam holes don’t necessarily need to be added by lieu of the coolant level having to be much lower before an issue with steam pockets becomes an issue.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

DANIEL TINDER
Posted 16 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Sounds like "Catch 22". Holes drilled in block/heads suggested (interrupted surface) as more likely to allow place for cracks to start.

John Mummert commented that non-drilled, 113 heads are often found with cracks in water jacket near the adjacent exhaust valves.

Maybe the guideline should be: Highly stressed performance motor likely better off without holes, so integrity of gasket/block/head best? A careless owner who might let the coolant level drop in a milder/stock driver car could benefit most from the steam holes?

6 VOLTS/POS. GRD. NW INDIANA
Eddie Paskey
Posted 16 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (294 reputation)Supercharged (294 reputation)Supercharged (294 reputation)Supercharged (294 reputation)Supercharged (294 reputation)Supercharged (294 reputation)Supercharged (294 reputation)Supercharged (294 reputation)Supercharged (294 reputation)

Last Active: 11 Years Ago
When John Did my engine he did put the holes in.  Complete rebuild-- 331 stroker--Street port heads--Engle cam- etc etc..     Use a very sharp drill and go slow.  Good luck.  Dan sure appreciate what you are doing for those young fellows!!!

God Bless---   Hope this helps     Eddie

Eddie

Lake Forest, Ca. 92630

mctim64
Posted 16 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)

Dan,

the cam was dropped off at FedEx today and will go on the road Monday.  You should see it in 3-4 days. Anything else you need or cant find?  Do you have a four BBL intake yet? I don't have an extra right now, but I wonder if someone out there might have one that has a small flaw, broken ear or something, that is repairable that they might donate.

I know I'm very interested in seeing these High school kids get a proper education in Y-Blocks, this is the next generation we are talking about. BigGrin

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/b1f2e0d6-2566-46b3-b81d-3ff3.jpg   God Bless. Smile  Tim                           http://yblockguy.com/

350ci Y-Block FED "Elwood", 301ci Y-Block Unibody LSR "Jake", 312ci Y-Block '58 F-100, 338ci Y-Block powered Model A Tudor

Dan
Posted 16 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (240 reputation)Supercharged (240 reputation)Supercharged (240 reputation)Supercharged (240 reputation)Supercharged (240 reputation)Supercharged (240 reputation)Supercharged (240 reputation)Supercharged (240 reputation)Supercharged (240 reputation)

Last Active: 13 Years Ago
thank you so much, cant tell you how much I appreciate it - we dont have a 4 bbl intake right now and I know that we are going to be missing some fasteners (head bolts, etc.) thanks again for all the help!!
mctim64
Posted 16 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Dan,

I do have a decent set of used Ex valves and some head bolts ready to ship if you would like them. Just let me know if you would like any other small items an if I have them I can send them along.

I imagine you are out of school for Christmas for a couple of weeks.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter