Profile Picture

Overall look of the head

Posted By Ted 16 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 16 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
I'd paint them too look original. I like the look of a painted y-block that's accessorized with alum.valve covers,headders,chrome breathers and the belt pullys,fan etc. can be any color you want and the list can go on and on.I think the y-block is one of the most beautiful engines out there and there gonna look great any way you fix' um up.BigGrin

-Gary Burnette-

Ted
Posted 16 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 3 days ago

Just a point of clarification on the look of the heads.  When I say smooth, I mean casting smooth and not machined smooth.  Casting smooth means no parting lines and casting flash as seen on the originals.  We’d be talking Blue Thunder intake manifold smooth as far as the texture goes.  The potential is there for the ends to be machined smooth though and possibly a manufacturer logo or stamp placed there.

yehaabill (1/4/2008)
Y-guys.  I'm not up to speed on the head design but, I see some want smooth, some rough...IF the heads are interchangeable,.. why not make one end smooth the other rough. Just a thought....Bill

Unfortunately it’s not that easy.  If all the heads are machined the same with one end smooth and the other end rough cast, then ultimately one side of the engine will have a smooth head to the front and the other side will have a rough head to the front.  The heads would have to be machined left and right specific to make this work.  Good try though Bill.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Pete's Panel
Posted 16 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (129 reputation)Supercharged (129 reputation)Supercharged (129 reputation)Supercharged (129 reputation)Supercharged (129 reputation)Supercharged (129 reputation)Supercharged (129 reputation)Supercharged (129 reputation)Supercharged (129 reputation)

Last Active: 9 Years Ago
Thanks for the clarification on the rough finish Ted, I originally preferred smooth because I was comparing to the rough factory items but a nice clean fine cast finish like the Blue Thunder would be just as good.

Pete, one of the Aussie mob.Hehe Beechworth, Victoria60 F100 Panel Van, Y-block. 65 Galaxie Country Sedan 390
charliemccraney
Posted 16 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 3 hours ago
Blue Thunder smooh is ok with me.  I was thinking machined smooth.  I think the Blue thunder intake is as beautiful as it functions.  I just don't like things that are obviously aftermarket.  AFR comes to mind - how they engrave their logo onto the machined ends.  In most cases, I don't like to advertise if I'm not being paid.

Lawrenceville, GA
pegleg
Posted 16 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
The finish on a Blue Thunder is a combination of fine molding sand, care in molding and wheelabrating the castings at heat treat. Probably some rejected castings to motivate the foundry also.

Frank/Rebop

Bristol, In ( by Elkhart) 

speedpro56
Posted 16 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)

Blue Thunder finish is fine with me, I'm not into the shiney polishing yet.

-Gary Burnette-

suede57ford
Posted 16 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (474 reputation)Supercharged (474 reputation)Supercharged (474 reputation)Supercharged (474 reputation)Supercharged (474 reputation)Supercharged (474 reputation)Supercharged (474 reputation)Supercharged (474 reputation)Supercharged (474 reputation)

A rough finish would work for me.   Easier to smooth later than add roughness.  I like parts that look like Ford made them. 

Pat Fleischman

Jim
Posted 16 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Administrator

Administrator (423 reputation)Administrator (423 reputation)Administrator (423 reputation)Administrator (423 reputation)Administrator (423 reputation)Administrator (423 reputation)Administrator (423 reputation)Administrator (423 reputation)Administrator (423 reputation)

Group: Administrators
I'd go with either one! Heck, we had been hearing about aluminum heads even before I started the site, which is over five years. It is time for smooth, rough or with pink polka dots!BigGrin

Jim (site owner)
'56 Club Sedan - Ted Eaton built 429 hp '292/318, '54 Sunliner - stock '302
JPotter57
Posted 16 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (176 reputation)Supercharged (176 reputation)Supercharged (176 reputation)Supercharged (176 reputation)Supercharged (176 reputation)Supercharged (176 reputation)Supercharged (176 reputation)Supercharged (176 reputation)Supercharged (176 reputation)

Last Active: 8 Years Ago
Machined smooth, as cast, doesn't really matter to me, as long as it is a good, sound design, that is capable of moving a lot of air out of the box, as well as enough material there left for porting, valve upsizing, etc.  Count me in for a set....

James Potter
`57 Fords International

`57 Custom Tudor

`57 Fords International National Director

Pass Christian, MS (near Gulfport/Biloxi)
kidcourier
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (127 reputation)Supercharged (127 reputation)Supercharged (127 reputation)Supercharged (127 reputation)Supercharged (127 reputation)Supercharged (127 reputation)Supercharged (127 reputation)Supercharged (127 reputation)Supercharged (127 reputation)

Last Active: 6 Years Ago
    Blue Thunder finish works for me! KID

Reading This Topic

Site Meter