Profile Picture

fuel pump choices

Posted By yblock32deuce 15 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Hitting on all eight cylinders

Hitting on all eight cylinders (8 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (8 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (8 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (8 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (8 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (8 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (8 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (8 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (8 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 13 Years Ago
Then and now automotive sell rebuild kits for AC fuel pumps, you can google them and give them a call.They said the part # for the fuel pump is on the side of the mounting flange. I bought one for an AC fuel pump for my 312 and it fit fine. I sent them some pictures of mine then gave them a call. Ask for Tom, he asked me some questions about the pump then he got the correct kit sent to me. This is a good option because you know that pump fits your car, also if you want to keep it original. They were easy to deal with.

.www.maritimedragracing.com/then_and_now_automotive.htm
John Mummert
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
I am especially curious if anyone has had a mechanical work in a boosted application that has been raced.

Pat, I did use a Carter FE pump on McCulloch blown 312. Disassembled pump and drilled/tapped vent hole in body. Connected boost line to this hole to add boost pressure to backside of diaphragm.

It worked okay on dyno but they may have been pumping into inlet with electric pump. Car is on the road and haven't heard any complaint from owner, but that doesn't always mean it worked.

http://ford-y-block.com 

20 miles east of San Diego, 20 miles north of Mexico

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/2c0ef4dd-5dd8-408e-ba0d-74f6.jpg

rustyford
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Hitting on all eight cylinders (9 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (9 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (9 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (9 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (9 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (9 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (9 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (9 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (9 reputation)

Last Active: 14 Years Ago
Guys, Thanks for the replies and suggestions. Has anybody run a vacuum pump for their wipers. The ones I'm thinking of for diesels don't seem that they would have enough volume of vacuum to run windshield wipers??? I've considered the electric conversion, but besides being rather expensive (as would a diesel vacuum pump), I'd rather stick closer to stock if at all possible.

Thanks!

Geo- Ore w/56 Town Sedan
Ted
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 4 days ago
rustyford (11/4/2009)
... Anybody know if there is a fuel pump out there with a vacuum pump on it that will fit the 351 to operate the wipers?
By the time the SBF was introduced in ‘62, electric windshield wipers were standard equipment on most cars so fuel pumps with attached vacuum boosters were not the norm for that particular family of engines.  Been awhile since I've compared SBF and FE/YBlk fuel pumps side by side but I'm with Charley in thinking that the SBF fuel pump arms are different.

For your ’56, electric wiper motor conversions are available.  Another option is an electric or mechanically driven vacuum pump just for the existing vacuum wipers.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

suede57ford
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (474 reputation)Supercharged (474 reputation)Supercharged (474 reputation)Supercharged (474 reputation)Supercharged (474 reputation)Supercharged (474 reputation)Supercharged (474 reputation)Supercharged (474 reputation)Supercharged (474 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Has any one had any luck using a high volume mechanical like a carter on a higher horsepower(375+) motor or supercharged and not had fuel delivery problems?

My 460 powered T-bird will absolutely not work with any brand mechanical pump I tried, even with #10 and #8 fuel lines.  I reluctantly converted to a Holley Black Electric and all fuel problems went away instantly.

I am especially curious if anyone has had a mechanical work in a boosted application that has been raced.

I would consider trying one on my supercharged Y-Block for the bird.

Thanks,

Pat Fleischman

charliemccraney
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: Yesterday
I don't believe small block pumps will work on a Y. The arm is different. You might be able to swap the arms.

Lawrenceville, GA
Hoosier Hurricane
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
Disregard my last post, I just realized that a 302 pump will work on a Y, so a Y pump should work on a 351 if it's a Windsor.

John - "The Hoosier Hurricane"
http://www.y-blocksforever.com/avatars/johnf.jpg
Hoosier Hurricane
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
The only thing I can think of that has a chance would be a '62 Fairlane with a 221, and even it may have electric wipers, '62 Fords did.

John - "The Hoosier Hurricane"
http://www.y-blocksforever.com/avatars/johnf.jpg
rustyford
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Hitting on all eight cylinders (9 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (9 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (9 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (9 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (9 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (9 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (9 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (9 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (9 reputation)

Last Active: 14 Years Ago
Guys,

Look I know this is the Y Block forum... But my '56 already had a 351 Windsor in it and where's a '56 owner to go anyway! =-)

I'm not going to change it back to a stock Y Block at this point as I plan to haul around my vintage trailer with it. Anyway... Anybody know if there is a fuel pump out there with a vacuum pump on it that will fit the 351 to operate the wipers?

Thanks!

Geo. - Ore. w/'56 Town Sedan

crenwelge
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (512 reputation)Supercharged (512 reputation)Supercharged (512 reputation)Supercharged (512 reputation)Supercharged (512 reputation)Supercharged (512 reputation)Supercharged (512 reputation)Supercharged (512 reputation)Supercharged (512 reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
I guess a person never gets too old to learn. I have been tinkering with Y blocks since the FE engine came out and never knew that the same fuel pump would work on both of them.

Kenneth

Fredricksburg, Texas

Reading This Topic

Site Meter