Profile Picture

Road Draft Tube

Posted By Outlaw56 15 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Yesterday
I've looked at the VW oil block off plates (that will fit the block where the draft tube is now). Most of them have a threaded bung in the center. I wonder if a PCV valve could be placed down there or would it pick up oil splash. Also, along the same Idea to run a hose from there to the Air cleaner? Any thoughts? Chuck in NH

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire
Outlaw56
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (924 reputation)Supercharged (924 reputation)Supercharged (924 reputation)Supercharged (924 reputation)Supercharged (924 reputation)Supercharged (924 reputation)Supercharged (924 reputation)Supercharged (924 reputation)Supercharged (924 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Lots to think about here and from lots of experience dealing with the thoughts behind modifying, replacing, or combining a PVC System to function with an original or modified road draft tube. I need to confirm I have this correct. If I want to install a PVC system, I am thinking the "closed system" would be a good choice. Again, if I understand correctly, this can be accomplished by using a valley cover that will accept a PVC fitting. From the PVC fitting, run a hose to a vacum port on the carb. To close the system, use a non/vented oil fill breather  cap with a port to connect an air line from the oil fill cap to another port installed in the bottom of the air cleaner?

This would close the system, providing the oil fill cap is not a breather.  I am waiting to see how the question regarding a PVC fitting to replace the road draft tube in the side of the block is answered. I have never heard that option disucssed.

Thanks for all the information and help.

Darrell Howard Outlaw 56

Whitefish, MT

Darrell Howard Whitefish, MT Outlaw 56 Ford F-100's

MoonShadow
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)

Me niether! It's just something I noticed while looking at the VW block off plates. Chuck

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

Hoosier Hurricane
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 1 hour ago
Chuck:

Think about it.  How common are leaks in the draft tube area on the side of the block?  Must be a lot of spash there.  I would think a pcv would suck up a lot of oil, and if you put a hose to the aire fileter, and there was a slight vacuum in the air filter, it may even suck oil through the hose and directly into the air stream.  I don't think you want that either.  And if you're referring to your blown car, pressurized air blowing down that hose into the crankcase isn't a very good idea, you want to get rid of crankcase pressure, not increase it.  Just my humble opinion.

John - "The Hoosier Hurricane"
http://www.y-blocksforever.com/avatars/johnf.jpg

miker
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: 42 minutes ago
You're correct about the crankcase pressure, but the PCV valve should close under pressure or a backfire. That's to prevent a crankcase explosion if you've got a lot of fuel contamination. I've never had that happen. I have been concerned about moving all the crankcase pressure out of the hose from (in my case) the oil fill tube to the suction side of the air cleaner, but I'm not getting a lot of oil in there. And I haven't blown the gaskets out of the valve covers or the pan. Probably because a street car doesn't spend that much time under boost, but the dyno pulls weren't a problem either (till the head gaskets went from the load of oil when not under boost) through the PCV valve. I had a high mileage factory turbo car, and we found a lot of oil in the intake, pulled the turbo and had it gone through, and was told the seals were ok, it was blow by. I know some racing motors run crankcase evacuation systems, but I've never had anything that extreme.

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
MoonShadow
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Thanks John. No I wasn't thinking about it for mine with the blower. It was just a thought I had. I was concerned about the oil splash from the begining. I'll stay with my current PCV setup. Chuck in NH

Y's guys rule!

rexbd
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (201 reputation)Supercharged (201 reputation)Supercharged (201 reputation)Supercharged (201 reputation)Supercharged (201 reputation)Supercharged (201 reputation)Supercharged (201 reputation)Supercharged (201 reputation)Supercharged (201 reputation)

Last Active: 6 Years Ago
Hope this isn't stupid.  Are you better running a PCV valve from a larger displacement engine, such as an FE series, to adapt the Yblock to maximize flow from the valve?  Confused about if its better to vent the valve cover breather into the air cleaner or doesn't matter for a street car.

Hope to have body done in the spring and tear the engine apart this summer with goal of cruzin this fall.  Getting closer.

Ted
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 4 hours ago
rexbd (3/3/2009)
Are you better running a PCV valve from a larger displacement engine, such as an FE series, to adapt the Yblock to maximize flow from the valve?  Confused about if its better to vent the valve cover breather into the air cleaner or doesn't matter for a street car.

Always run a PCV from an engine that's similar in cubic inch when retrofitting.  But Y's did have PCV valves in the early Sixties so that would be the one to work with first.  When retrofitting for a Y, I simply pick out a PCV valve originally designed for a 289 or 302 SBF.  And if given the choice, run the vent to the air cleaner.  Just makes everything cleaner.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Outlaw56
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (924 reputation)Supercharged (924 reputation)Supercharged (924 reputation)Supercharged (924 reputation)Supercharged (924 reputation)Supercharged (924 reputation)Supercharged (924 reputation)Supercharged (924 reputation)Supercharged (924 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Ted,

I have a Ford Race Filter that has the element exposed on the sides. Where would you suggest porting the hose from the PVC to come into this type of air cleaner?

Thanks,

Darrell Howard Outlaw 56 F-100

Darrell Howard Whitefish, MT Outlaw 56 Ford F-100's

oldcarmark
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
I think what Ted meant was run the hose from air cleaner to the oil fill cap to create a fully closed system as opposed to just drawing air through the oil cap.The hose from PCV valve ideally would go on the port on carb if there is one on carb.Do not hook it in at back of manifold as rear cylinders will run lean.If there is no port on carb you may have to drill and tap for a vacuum fitting as close to the carb as possible or use a spacer plate with PCV hose fitting incorporated in it.To make it a closed system using your type air cleaner put a vacuum fitting in bottom of air cleaner inside the filter element.That way you draw filtered air into cap and any fumes from cap are drawn into air cleaner and burned in carb.

[Note added by Ted / 3/5/2009 7:30PM]  Thanks Mark.  That is indeed what I meant.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg

Reading This Topic

Site Meter