Profile Picture

Carb selection

Posted By napaunderground Last Year
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 days ago
Since napaunderground mentioned having a number of vintage Holleys and Motorcraft carburetors on hand, don't overlook them as a good candidate for this occasion. I recently purchased for someone else, a 600cfm Holley list 7154 from epay under $100. This particular Holley required the common 37-119 Holley kit.   These 1970 vintage carbs are totally overlooked by the hot-rodders. This means a good core is likely to be found in unmolested condition. After just finishing the rebuild to it's stock, for now, specs, I bolted it on my mild 312 and it performed very well with excellent response driving around the immediate subdivision as there is too much salt on the main roads at this time of year.  This is the 2nd such "emission" carb that produced very good results. The first one is what I've been running very successfully on my 312 for about 5 years now but that could be a subject for another thread.  If you don't mind spending the time to resurrect one of these carbs from the dead, it can be very rewarding. 

64F100 57FAIRLANE500
napaunderground
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (165 reputation)Supercharged (165 reputation)Supercharged (165 reputation)Supercharged (165 reputation)Supercharged (165 reputation)Supercharged (165 reputation)Supercharged (165 reputation)Supercharged (165 reputation)Supercharged (165 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
@55blacktie I agree that I'm not going to be making big power here. Just don't want to put on a restrictor by selecting too small, and don't want to get crazy with too much. Appreciate the thoughts and provided information. I will update with the cam specs when I can get back over to the shop.

A little typo in my comment should have started with "57 T-Bird spec cam, ..."

Seems like maybe the ECZ-AD carb will work. Going to continue researching. The box that contained this carb also has one off a Rambler that had a 327 in it. My uncle labeled them nicely. 
55blacktie
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
napa, I recommend arranging with Sal Scicala to rebuild the ECZ-AD carburetor and using it, unless you can obtain a proven bolt-on carburetor for less.
Tealy64
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (172 reputation)Supercharged (172 reputation)Supercharged (172 reputation)Supercharged (172 reputation)Supercharged (172 reputation)Supercharged (172 reputation)Supercharged (172 reputation)Supercharged (172 reputation)Supercharged (172 reputation)

Last Active: 4 Months Ago
Sounds like we have a winner.  I just watched the Summit carb swap that the HotRodReverend did on his Tbird and it looks like a fairly simple operation.  I'll have to wire up an electric choke, but I imagine there's enough help out there on the 'net to get me by.  I checked out Summit and they've got those 500 cfm carbs on backorder until June. That'll give me plenty of time to get this girl back to together and running on stock equipment before we swap it over to the new intake and 4bbl.

1964 Ford F100 w/ 292 Y-block
-Central Florida-
napaunderground
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (165 reputation)Supercharged (165 reputation)Supercharged (165 reputation)Supercharged (165 reputation)Supercharged (165 reputation)Supercharged (165 reputation)Supercharged (165 reputation)Supercharged (165 reputation)Supercharged (165 reputation)

For completeness, here is the cam card I got. Sadly, I was not as smart when I sent out the stock cam for regrind as I might be now. But it's fine... it'll be great for our application.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/b90ae66e-fc80-4ac5-8901-ce3d.jpg
55blacktie
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)

If my memory serves me, that's about as close to the 57 312 factory cam as you can get, if not spot-on. The same cam was used in 57 C,D, and E-code engines, but I'm not sure about the F-Code. It will work well with your combination. 
napaunderground
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Cool. Thanks for all the input. I appreciate it, all the time I spent professionally working on modern vehicles didn't much increase my know how about this stuff. Plenty to learn!
napaunderground
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

So, I am going with the general recommendation to use the factory '57 T-Bird carb. Does anyone have ideas as to it's flow potential? It's a 4150, that's the best I can find. The internet hasn't provided an answer, I am just curious. ECZ-AD List 1273-1 
55blacktie
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

The 55-56 Holley 4000 "Teapot" flows 390 cfm. The 57 4150 (1st year for same) flows approximately 465 cfm. Although the 57 carburetor is a 4150, it more closely resembles the 4160 carburetors. The replacement Holleys that the Tbird suppliers sell is a 4160 that has the same cfm rating. The new 4150 carburetors are dual-feed/w fuel lines on the passenger side. The 4160, like the 57 carburetor, is a single-feed on the driver's side. 
napaunderground
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Awesome, thanks!! Again!

For only 45CFM difference in max flow from a new 500CFM carb, I definitely am more interested in using the vintage carb. 

Reading This Topic

Site Meter