Profile Picture

Drag racing wheels and tires for 57 T Bird

Posted By slumlord444 Last Year
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Yesterday
That’s probably a good topic for a new thread. Mine were ok, so I didn’t deal with it.

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
slumlord444
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: 4 days ago
So far I’m looking at15” wheels 7” wide with 4” backspace. Nicky Thompson tires about 28” tall, 9-9 1/2”wide. Any more racers out there with suggestions? Specifics on tires? Mickey Thompson has several options available. 
55blacktie
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)

Slumlord, let us know what you end up using. 
HazardTBird
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (96 reputation)Supercharged (96 reputation)Supercharged (96 reputation)Supercharged (96 reputation)Supercharged (96 reputation)Supercharged (96 reputation)Supercharged (96 reputation)Supercharged (96 reputation)Supercharged (96 reputation)

Blacktie:

If they are rubber they are replacements, to the best of my knowledge all original body spacers are steel. 
slumlord444
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Back to my tire question.  Talked to Mickey Thompson Tech Support. Came up with two options I like. Pro BracketRadials, 28” tall and either 9”” or 10.5 “ wide. I’m leaning towards 9”” for fit and cost reasons plus too much tire isn’t good 
either.  Anyone running 10.5”tires on a T Bird. Do they fit and are they too much traction for my setup?
Joe-JDC
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)

If you are serious about drag racing the Thunderbird, then I would highly recommend using a lightweight aluminum wheel for that, and keep your street tires on stock rims.  The weight savings are definitely worth it.  That 10.5" wide tire will not have a significantly larger contact patch over the 9" due to the diameter of the tires.  Sometimes the taller/narrower tire will have as large or larger contact patches.  I went through this when racing my '69 Mach I trying to find the absolute best combination.  I raced this car for 30 years with different engines and transmissions, and wheel and tire combinations.  When trying to be consistent and quicker, the Weld aluminum drag wheels were a consistent winner without a tube.  I only pinned the tires with 5 screws inner and outer in equal spacing.  That way I could change the tires quickly if needed and they were very lightweight.  I would also consider two lightweight front wheels and tires for the strip.  You will be required to meet safety standards with the stud lengths and wheel nut engagement, as well as driveshaft safety loop, etc., if you go a certain speed or time.  Know the rules before going to the track will be in your favor.  Have fun and be safe.  If you are slower than 13.00 seconds, then the rules are very lax as to equipment needs.  Joe-JDC

JDC
slumlord444
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Thanks Joe. That’s the kind of information I’m looking for. I’ve thought about aluminum wheels because the width I need is easier to find in aluminum than in steel especially in used. You’ve been helpful. 
slumlord444
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

I’ve got most of the information I need. 15”x 8”or 9” rims, 9”wide Mickey Thompson radial tires. I’m thinking 4” offset but would like to confirm that the setback will work with the tires on the T Bird. Any T Bird racers care to comment.
miker
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

15x7 American Salt flats. 4” backspacing. 235/60 15 BFG radial T/A’s. Just over 1/2” clearance from sidewall to fender lip at rest. The tire bulge makes it less on compression. The car has a Morrison triangulated 4 bar with coil overs. Doesn’t rub even in hard corners and full compressed. But it’s really close and a very rigid rear end mounting. Wider wheels? Sidewall bulge on the slicks? Hard to guess.

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
55blacktie
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)

Bias-ply drag slicks won't have the same sidewall bulge of drag radials, but I wouldn't run them on the street. I guess it comes down to how serious you are about drag racing.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter