Profile Picture

Head Bolt Lengths

Posted By paul2748 2 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Yesterday
paul2748 (10/30/2023)
The bulletin does not explicitly say, but I guess it was ok to use the longer bolt in the 54's and 55's since there was no warning about not using the longer bolts in the 54 and 55 engines.

I have had no issues using the four longer bolts at the top end holes in the heads on the ’54-55 Y engines.  As Charlie and the Ford Bulletin mentions, thread retention on those four particular holes (two per side) is improved when using the longer bolts.  When using the ARP head bolts, I will install the bolts first without the washers to ensure that the bolts do fully seat against the bolt heads before removing to install the washers and then torquing the bolts.  When milling the heads and blocks, the head bolt thread lengths do get dicey.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

KULTULZ
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.5K reputation)Supercharged (3.5K reputation)Supercharged (3.5K reputation)Supercharged (3.5K reputation)Supercharged (3.5K reputation)Supercharged (3.5K reputation)Supercharged (3.5K reputation)Supercharged (3.5K reputation)Supercharged (3.5K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
So of what Charlie posted, the dowels were moved further into the block (machining protocols - both early and late used the same dowels according to the MPC), for whatever reason and the added depth required longer bolts at the dowel locations?

This change came on the first run 1956 production? Wonder if FORD had gasket sealing problem(s) on the 54 and 55 block?

Learn something new everyday.

charliemccraney
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 9 hours ago
No, I don't think the position of the dowels changed.  It is simply that the reduced thread engagement caused by the counterbore caused issues, which a longer bolt fixed.

Lawrenceville, GA
KULTULZ
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.5K reputation)Supercharged (3.5K reputation)Supercharged (3.5K reputation)Supercharged (3.5K reputation)Supercharged (3.5K reputation)Supercharged (3.5K reputation)Supercharged (3.5K reputation)Supercharged (3.5K reputation)Supercharged (3.5K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
No, I don't think the position of the dowels changed.  It is simply that the reduced thread engagement caused by the counterbore caused issues, which a longer bolt fixed.

Now that makes sense. Reduced bore thread as a result of the dowel insertion.

THANX!

Reading This Topic

Site Meter