Profile Picture

Edelbrock F548

Posted By ac289ace 3 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (95 reputation)Supercharged (95 reputation)Supercharged (95 reputation)Supercharged (95 reputation)Supercharged (95 reputation)Supercharged (95 reputation)Supercharged (95 reputation)Supercharged (95 reputation)Supercharged (95 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Years Ago
I was at a swap meet this weekend and ran across an Edelbrock F548 Intake Manifold for Y-blocks. In looking at it I realized it had a different throttle linkage mounting holes and also a different vacuum port arrangement but the price was right so I picked it up. I figured with just a little fab work I could use it on my '57 Thunderbird. However, after I go it home and started to compare it to my stock manifold I realized the intake ports are much smaller (~.25" in both dimensions) than my stock manifold. I have done a search using the manifold number but haven't found much information on it. 
Does anyone know what the application is for this specific manifold? I'm guessing there were some small port heads made at some point and this is for them, but its a guess at this point.

TIA for any help
MoonShadow
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
232 or 256 early Y-Blocks. Won't fit a later Holley without an adapter. Also has small ports.

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire
DryLakesRacer
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
I’ve seen these on e-bay. Knowing the early way Vic identified manifolds shows it’s for a Ford 1954 with 8 cylinders. Since there were very few big base carbs yet so he made it for the small base and to fit the ports of a 54-239. Vic was designing and making aluminum intakes for every new engine coming out as soon as he could and he followed this with a dual quad small base for the 54 Merc and 55 Ford 272. I doubt is was a big seller but big buck asked today.
Not desirable at all with the exception of a period correct 54 Ford speed part.
Crazy as it sounds port matching to a larger head would give excellent immediate low end due to velocity but it will run out of power quickly to any big base aftermarket or 57 B manifold.

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
ac289ace
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (95 reputation)Supercharged (95 reputation)Supercharged (95 reputation)Supercharged (95 reputation)Supercharged (95 reputation)Supercharged (95 reputation)Supercharged (95 reputation)Supercharged (95 reputation)Supercharged (95 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Thanks Gents for the info. I had thought about the better throttle response if I port matched, but I 'll have to weigh that against using the stock manifold. There would have to be a lot of metal removed to get the ports aligned and matched. Right now I'm leaning towards cleaning up the stock 312 manifold and using that. 
Drylakesracer, thanks for the Edelbrock nomenclature lesson. I had not heard of that before.
charliemccraney
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 9 minutes ago
I think I would leave it alone and find someone with a '54 who wants a 4v manifold, to sell it.

Lawrenceville, GA

Reading This Topic

Site Meter