Profile Picture

TRW piston

Posted By silent rick 3 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (159 reputation)Supercharged (159 reputation)Supercharged (159 reputation)Supercharged (159 reputation)Supercharged (159 reputation)Supercharged (159 reputation)Supercharged (159 reputation)Supercharged (159 reputation)Supercharged (159 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
looking for info on a TRW L2018F piston. supposed to be a stock profile flat top piston for a 312 Ybock standard bore 3.80" or in other words, a .050 over 292 piston.

is this a forged piston?

i know TRW is no longer around and is now speed pro. i don't see it in any speed pro catalog..

i'm looking for a forged flat top stock profile 312 Y-block piston in std bore.
55blacktie
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: 8 days ago
Unless someone just happens to have one lying around, you'll either have to order custom pistons, or check with John Mummert. Run-of-the-mill replacement pistons are cast and probably reduce compression ratio by being more than .020 below deck height.
silent rick
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (159 reputation)Supercharged (159 reputation)Supercharged (159 reputation)Supercharged (159 reputation)Supercharged (159 reputation)Supercharged (159 reputation)Supercharged (159 reputation)Supercharged (159 reputation)Supercharged (159 reputation)

i'm after 8.0:1 to 8.5:1 compression. add me to the list of guys with a Y Bloke 4-71 manifold.

also looking for C2AE rods. i'll be listing a bunch of intakes for sale here soon.
Cliff
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Yes that's a forged piston, there is a difference between a .050 over 292 piston and a 312 (skirt length) the 312 piston will work in a 292, the 292 piston will not work in a 312 (hits the counter weight), a standard bore 283 piston will work (.075 over 312) you will have to bore the rod (pin) to .927 most forged 283 pistons will be full floating.

silent rick
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

yep, i have a .050 over 292 block
55blacktie
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Finding the right 283 piston will be almost as hard as finding the right Y-block piston. There's little demand for them.
NoShortcuts
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)

Silent Rick.  At an earlier time, like the middle '60s, Thompson Products made PowerForged pistons that were marketed as aftermarket replacement pistons.  I used them in the first y-block I rebuilt in 1966.  Hehe  Thompson Products merged OR became TRW at some point in time.  You might be able to determine the history on this company change using the Internet.

TRW continued to market replacement PowerForged pistons.  You know more about what became of TRW than I do!

Per an old TRW sheet I have, L-2018 pistons are PowerForged and 3.800 inch diameter.  I don't know what the 'F' suffix you identified means regarding their oversize dimension for the 3.800 basic bore diameter.

Cliff is correct about 292 y-block pistons having a different skirt configuration than 312 y-block pistons.  As Cliff indicated, 312 pistons can be used with a 292 crank, but 292 pistons can not be used with a 312 crank due to an interference issue.

Forum Moderator John 'Hoosier Hurricane' in a posting some years ago explained what modifications he had done to utilize a set of GMC C***Y pistons in a y-block he built.  My recollection is that John indicated that the C***Y pistons he used had press fit piston pins where the y-block used full floating piston pins.  As Cliff indicated, the pistons John used may have been cast rather than forged.  Also, didn't the C***Y pistons have valve notches in their flat tops?  John may be able to recount all that he related previously.  It almost seems like there was a piston pin compression height issue that required John to machine the piston tops, too.

I suspect that the Forum link with Hoosier Hurricane's posting is so old that the software package changes webmaster Jim Culver has installed for the Forum website would make it unreachable in the archive.  John or Ted may be able to answer that accessibility issue. 

Silent Rick, I've got a friend with a stash of old y-block parts and NORS parts.  Last I knew, he had some flat top replacement Thompson Products or TRW forged pistons.  What PowerForged replacement diameter pistons are you seeking?

IF you're going to use a supercharger and are looking to use a static compression ratio of 8.0 or 8.5:1, it seems like you are looking for a set of y-block 5750 / 471 cylinder heads.  Rono is someone you should try to connect with on this Forum.  I recall that he's using a set of 471 heads on his supercharged engine.  I think he's using the same intake manifold you're talking about using as well.

Hope some of this helps!   Rolleyes 

NoShortcuts
a.k.a. Charlie Brown
near Syracuse, New York
Cliff
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

F means forged, the pin height is good as is, almost all  performance pistons are machined for floating pins, 305 sbc and 307 sbc will fit also, the valve notches will not line up.
55blacktie
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Valve notches will not line up." Did you mean that the 305/307 pistons will not fit? I ran this by Ted a few months ago. Realizing that I had miscalculated, no, I'm not going to use 283/307/305 pistons.
darrell
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)

some 292 pistons can be used on a 312 crank.i used a set of federal mogul pistons years ago.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter