Profile Picture

Transmission fluid types

Posted By 55charliebird 3 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 days ago
Current proper replacement for TYPE A, TYPE A SUFFIX A and all early FORD specified DEXRON's (incl FORD variants) is now MERCON V, a partial synthetic. FORD dropped all previous DEXRON/MERCON based fluids.

TYPE F can be used on an early DEXRON based trans (firmer shifts) but not DEXRON in a TYPE F trans.

As for GM based DEXRON, one must be sure to use the correct superseded fluid in a late GM trans as well as correct fluids in a late FORD trans. It might take a bit of ciphering.

Same for PS FLUID. If the bottle does not have the GM or FORD license number on it, better leave it alone. Lot of cheap junk floating around out there.

FORD DEARBORN
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
Interesting information. I'm not surprised that there is a modern fluid that will substitute for suffix A fluid. It's just that it's hard to abandon something that has worked reliably for many years, in my case.  If I were to rebuild a FOM or COM for my own use, I would indeed use Mercon V, the semi synthetic type. At the moment, if for someone else, I would still use type F only because I know what has worked well in the past. Otherwise, I would feel like I  would be experimenting with someone else transmmssion.  Development of automotive fluids is constantly and rapidly changing. For me, trying to keep up with it has been a challenge and Mercon V will be on my radar. Thanks for the information...............

64F100 57FAIRLANE500
KULTULZ
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

Last Active: 3 days ago
Below are some excellently written (IMO) TECH ARTICLES on the subject. It isn't easy as the old days ...

- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_transmission_fluid
- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DEXRON
- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MERCON

And a lot has to do with what friction materials you choose or supplied within an overhaul kit and/or what you expect out of the trans.

FORD DEARBORN
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
The Mercon link is very informative. It appears Mercon V should satisfies the original question of this thread. As stated above, it isn't easy as the old days. At least in my area, there are numerous dealers and auto part stores that carry Motorcraft fluids at competitive prices. Thanks for the link..............

64F100 57FAIRLANE500

Reading This Topic

Site Meter