Profile Picture

Under dash AC

Posted By DryLakesRacer 4 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
I’ve made arrangements to have Vintage Air installed at one of their approved dealer/installers. We had a small glitch about the under dash metal work and upholstery so I decided to do that my self. They gave me the controller and 4 louver/vents and the ordered the engine brackets. The controller is for a Gen IV so I’m hoping that’s what will fit. If it needs to Gen II super I’ll need to enlarge the controller hole. Just waiting for their call now. The panel is held in by clamps in the photo. They want it out when bring the car over.

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
kevink1955
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)

Thats the cleanest old ford install I have ever seen, great job.   If I went that way it would also conceal the EPAS motor under the dash
paul2748
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Drylakes - What is the height of the piece under the dash?

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

DryLakesRacer
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Thanks Kevink, The main unit isn't there yet but I'm sure there won't much to see. On another site a fellow said he had a Gen IV in his 55 and it worked great. I'm also suppling the shop with a manual water valve since the stock one was vacuum, a double pulley for the water pump since I already have a Mustang single smaller one to help with cooling, and a double pulley for the alternator just in case. Every AC company uses the same brackets for a y-block so I'm good to go there. It isn't that many won't do it but I didn't like the plastic louver holders and regular twist knobs just screwed to the bottom of the dash with sheet metal screws. Since I had the Peacock blue vinyl I've on got $40 in what you see)

Paul, The flat face is bent at 3-1/2" as the ball ends are drilled at 2-1/2" leaving 1/2" on 3 sides.. The top 90* bend is 1" deep and the bottom is 3/4" bent at a 45* for stiffness/support and it could be less. It is .063” thick. The foam padding makes t look bigger. I made a mockup/template out of cardboard and used wood squeeze clamps to hold it up. All the demensions came right from the Vintage Air catalog I ordered. They have a lot of louvers and I wanted a certain look that why these ones in the center. They have a neat oval 3knob controller and oval louvers that thin enough you could do the panel at 2 to 2-/2”. The problem is at the e-brake handle. To the outer edge. The panel is 58-1/8” long for a 56.

The hardest was around the steering column and for the the emergency brake. If you just painted the panel the color of you dash or used vinyl with no padding it would have a hell of a lot easier and quicker but I know what I wanted by looking at hundreds of cars at shows and gatherings.

Here are 2 more photos, one of the cardboard and it was painted with a spray can and the Aluminum panel with all the parts fitted. That’s the pain in the butt. You need to really take your time. Measure 10 times and cut once then start filing.

55blacktie
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: 9 days ago
Nice job!
miker
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Really nice, all the way from the design to the finished product. That's a new standard for guys doing a/c.

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
DryLakesRacer
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Thank you..I’m just an old retired power plant electrician with too much time on my hands, a good 401K, a great understanding wife of 54 years, and memories of driving my moms black 56 Victoria on dates when I was in High School in the early 60’s

DryLakesRacer
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

I will add if anyone wants this under dash style and has a catalog from any manufacturer it would be really easy with 4 circular vents and a oval or single knob controllers 3 or 4. A 2-1/2” hole saw and a drill for the controller knobs would be way easier. A friend has a system like that and it’s perfect in his sedan delivery. There was a lot of trimming/aluminum filing and on the foam and vinyl for the center parts but the circular where 5 minutes and some vinyl trimming with a razor blade. Thanks for the compliments.

DryLakesRacer
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

An update... as many know other vehicles have direct fit air units.... no so for Fords as much.
#1. The CASCO alternator that’s been on for a few months is not compatible with the VA mount so a single wire PowerMaster has been bought and installed. A good thing in the installations says I can make the i-did-it light work. The compressor/alternator/condenser/dryer are installed. So I’ll be selling that alternator when I pick up the car and the removed original heater.
#2 A Vintage Air Gen II or IV units do not want to fit without major modifications to the radio... and even after you did the mods you could not get the radio out without removing the unit.
#3. A Old Air Products Hurricane unit will fit without interfering with the radio. They offer an electronic, horizontal rectangular controller so that’s what is now going in when it gets to the shop. I only need to make the hole in the under dash panel a little larger.
Nothing I ever take on is easy... oh well!

MplsMike
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (509 reputation)Supercharged (509 reputation)Supercharged (509 reputation)Supercharged (509 reputation)Supercharged (509 reputation)Supercharged (509 reputation)Supercharged (509 reputation)Supercharged (509 reputation)Supercharged (509 reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
DryLakesRacer

I didn’t want to hijack the post - I sent you a PM asking a question about your comments on your alternator install.

Mike

MplsMike
'56 Parklane
Minneapolis, MN

Reading This Topic

Site Meter