Profile Picture

Using a 3 wire GM alternator

Posted By ErnieL 4 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (296 reputation)Supercharged (296 reputation)Supercharged (296 reputation)Supercharged (296 reputation)Supercharged (296 reputation)Supercharged (296 reputation)Supercharged (296 reputation)Supercharged (296 reputation)Supercharged (296 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 days ago
I read an article years ago about changing from generator to an altenator in a 56 ford. It said to use an early scrub pickup altenator as they are plentiful and not too expensive. I took the plug in out of a junked out pickup it has two wires ,the exciter wire goes to the ignition switch with a diode that keeps power going one way and not back through the switch so the engine will shut off when the key is turned off. Its been probably been 15 years or more and it still works fine.you can now buy brackets to mount it but doesnt take much to fab the generator brackets to fit.my generator light works as it should and the wiring is pretty simple.hope this helps,Im not very excited about mixing brand c parts but it isnt very obvious and works very well.
FORD DEARBORN
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
All good advice on upgrading the charging system. This Ford 3 wire 60 amp system works perfect. I don't have A/C or an electric fan but if I throw everything I have at it, it holds the battery at 13.5 min. volts at idle forever. If Ford had kept the Y-block in production just one more year, it would probably look something like this if keeping it in the family is important to you. The brackets are unaltered generator brackets but stuffing an A/C compressor in there will present a different challenge. When you get it worked out, post some pics. http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/7711e659-4bce-48bb-b60b-e30e.jpghttp://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/9b18665b-4270-4876-9e08-9e1e.jpghttp://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/d78239e8-9231-47e5-ad62-c2a1.jpgHope this helps and good luck. Edit post: Above voltage is 14.2  not 13.5

64F100 57FAIRLANE500
paul2748
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Ford 12 V wiring systems between 56 and the mid 60's's didn't change that much for charging systems until  Ford went to alternators around 65.  I had a 64 Fairlane, original equipment was a generator (last year for a generator).  It was a 6 and I went to a V8 and changed to an alternator.  The Fairlane club had an article with diagrams on what to do to make the change using various alternators (Ford and GM, maybe Mopar).  I selected a 2 or 3G Ford (internal regulator) and used the diagrams, which were spot on.  They should work for a 50's Ford.  If you know some one who is in the Fairlane club the article is available from their website.

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

ErnieL
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (80 reputation)Supercharged (80 reputation)Supercharged (80 reputation)Supercharged (80 reputation)Supercharged (80 reputation)Supercharged (80 reputation)Supercharged (80 reputation)Supercharged (80 reputation)Supercharged (80 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Interesting stuff y’all. I have the alternator/compressor bracket set that comes with Vintage Air and Classic Auto Air systems. It’s a bit of a monkey motion looking setup that puts the compressor down low and the alternator up high. I don’t like the look at all.

I’m thinking seriously about that Powermaster generator looking alternator, and if they fit the stock brackets, My big issue with them is they’re one wire with all the drawbacks they offer. I will most likely go with it if I can figure a way around the issues. The wife wants to cruise this fall, so I’ll need to hook it all up with what I have and then revisit it all this winter. I like the stock look. I’ve gone through the trouble of hiding as much aftermarket hoses inside the heater and blower motor ducting, and having it duck out the bottom where it’s less noticeable.

What I’m going to do when I have the time to revisit this is use an original 56 factory air compressor bracket. I can mount a Senden on there as easy as anything. It sits up high, slightly to the right of the thermostat housing.

And one other thing. For those like me who care about such things, read this: Classic Auto Air advertises their “Perfect Fit” system to fit a 55-56 Ford car with no modifications. That’s not QUITE true. As it turns out, the factory Ford radio cannot be used with this system. Nowhere does it say this in any of their advertising. I actually drove to their headquarters myself as it’s only 5 miles from my shop and questioned them. I thought I had the wrong in dash unit. They printed a copy of my receipt, and there it was, on my sales slip “will not work with factory radio”. Needless to say, I was pretty darn upset. They offered me my money back, but I was already half through the installation. There’s about four inches of space so even a modern radio won’t fit.
My solution? I had an extra non working stock radio frame with the face on the shelf, so a few minutes with a hacksaw cut the front off and after cleaning, polishing, and repainting, I put it in the hole. My nice Town and Country radio is now in the closet. I’ll need to use a remote Bluetooth or some plug in jack for an iPod hook up I guess. That deal pissed me off more than it had a right to, but I don’t like purposely hidden surprises.

Anyway, onward and upward. I bought the Perfect Fit system because it was advertised as such: a perfect fit in place of the factory heat only system.

56 Meteor 4 dr hardtop
56 Meteor 2 dr hardtop
55 Sunliner
53 Lincoln Capri 2 dr hardtop
58 Skyliner

Anna, Tx
ErnieL
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (80 reputation)Supercharged (80 reputation)Supercharged (80 reputation)Supercharged (80 reputation)Supercharged (80 reputation)Supercharged (80 reputation)Supercharged (80 reputation)Supercharged (80 reputation)Supercharged (80 reputation)

blockhead2 (9/5/2020)
I have a NAPA 65 amp alternator that I put in my 59.  Changed it out for a higher amperage one as I have AC and electric fan.  I also have a 60 amp generNator if you want to keep the stock appearance.  It is new that I would sell for less than cost at $350 plus shipping.  If interested email me at wabate@verizon.net.

Regards,

Bill, 55 Tbird

Is the generNator the one made by Powermaster? I’ve been looking at those and the one wire thingy concerns me. I’d like my generator light to function along with other benefits of a three wire system.

56 Meteor 4 dr hardtop
56 Meteor 2 dr hardtop
55 Sunliner
58 Skyliner

Anna, Tx
charliemccraney
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
For what it's worth, I've been using a one wire alternator for about 19 years.  I have a volt gauge, instead of the light and look at it once in a while.  I have not had one problem with it and this is a year round daily driver.  I don't think the concerns of a one wire are really going to be much of a problem on an older vehicle with a mostly stock electrical system.

Lawrenceville, GA
DryLakesRacer
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

I installed the CASCO for the Thunderbird on my 56 Victoria. It was not “bolt-on” and I expected a few modifications. The original bracket between the ends had to be extended .300” to make the belt line up. The bracket mounting to the two water pump extension at the alternator had to be recontoured over the alternator fan for clearance. I also needed to make a 1/2” spacer at the rear. A 1” shorter belt was needed.
I liked the ease of the wiring and even tho it appears to be a single wire the connection for the gen light makes it immediately charging without reviving the engine.

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
Daniel Jessup
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)

I installed a 10SI on my 55 Club Sedan... and used a Vintage Air bracket.

the install information and pictures are at this link:
https://www.hotrodreverend.com/post/2017/09/30/55-ford-fairlane-restoration-blog-part-18

If you look up "wiring" on my blog you will find other posts as well

Daniel Jessup

Loveland, Ohio

aka "The Hot Rod Reverend" w00t
check out the 1955 Ford Fairlane build at www.hotrodreverend.com

ErnieL
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Thanks, Daniel.

I sent you a friend request on FB as well.

56 Meteor 4 dr hardtop
56 Meteor 2 dr hardtop
55 Sunliner
58 Skyliner

Anna, Tx
Daniel Jessup
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)

got it!

Daniel Jessup

Loveland, Ohio

aka "The Hot Rod Reverend" w00t
check out the 1955 Ford Fairlane build at www.hotrodreverend.com

Reading This Topic

Site Meter