Profile Picture

Y Block Rebuild - Hard to Turn

Posted By FGT1958 4 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Month
FGT1958 (1/19/2020)
Thank you all for the responses!  The engine was disassembled when I got it.

I did check the clearances when for the rods and mains when I was assembling.  Also the endplay on the cam.

All good responses, and again, Thank You!  I will start taking it back down and re-checking the everything again. You all have given me a lot to think about.

Frank

If it was disassembled were the Main Caps off? They are not identified from the Factory as to position. Even though you checked clearance are the Caps in correct position? Were the mains line bored at Machine Shop?

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg
2721955meteor
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Last Active: 4 hours ago
try a mixture of gas and oil,50/50 squirt it down the card while trying to start,once you get a cough the engine should loosen up . if not then you have big issues. i have used this first start procedures for years,it insures valve guedes ,rings , pistons get instance lube.
weasel
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Turbocharged

Turbocharged (51 reputation)Turbocharged (51 reputation)Turbocharged (51 reputation)Turbocharged (51 reputation)Turbocharged (51 reputation)Turbocharged (51 reputation)Turbocharged (51 reputation)Turbocharged (51 reputation)Turbocharged (51 reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
If its a standard, tow it around the block in gear.

Hoosier Hurricane
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 5 hours ago
Since you are going to look into the engine again, start by removing the timing chain/gears.  Then turn the crank.  That will tell you whether you need to look into the crankshaft or camshaft portion of the engine.  Oh, take the rocker shafts off first so you don't crash a piston into a valve.

John - "The Hoosier Hurricane"
http://www.y-blocksforever.com/avatars/johnf.jpg
FORD DEARBORN
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
I understand your frustrations with this after going through all this trouble, work and expense then not have it all come together properly. At the moment, I can't offer more than what was already offered and wish you the very best.   However, please keep in mind the proper method and procedure for flat tappet camshaft and lifter break-in.  IMHO, any engine that requires excessive torque to rotate and is forced to do so may not have a happy ending. Hope you find the cause and it's something simple, JEFF................

64F100 57FAIRLANE500
oldcarmark
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Hoosier Hurricane (1/19/2020)
Since you are going to look into the engine again, start by removing the timing chain/gears.  Then turn the crank.  That will tell you whether you need to look into the crankshaft or camshaft portion of the engine.  Oh, take the rocker shafts off first so you don't crash a piston into a valve.

That's excellent Advice. Try and narrow down where the Problem might be without taking everything apart.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg
darrell
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)

Last Active: 10 hours ago
i put a 312 in a 56 this past summer and it turned over to slow to start.the car had sit for 10 years and the motor almost as long.in the end corrosion around the ends of the battery cables was the cause.
miker
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
There's a very similar post over on the HAMB, which I suspect is you. You note you're trying to start the engine with a battery charger set on the "engine start" setting of 225 amps IIRC. That won't do it. When I had a fleet I had a charger that would, but it was so big it was mounted on a hand truck to move it around. You need a decent, fully charged battery that will hold the cranking amps long enough to fire the engine. I just went thru this with a bad battery (one year old, expensive Odyssey, showed 12 volts). Wouldn't crank my 312 even with the charger on start. When they tested it it was almost at the bottom of the scale for bad. Replaced it for free. Problem solved.

So get a good battery in the circuit, and if necessary jump it to a battery on a running vehicle till you see if it cranks. As stated above, don't keep going till you cook the starter.

Edit: I should have said crank rather than start the engine.

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
1960fordf350
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (248 reputation)Supercharged (248 reputation)Supercharged (248 reputation)Supercharged (248 reputation)Supercharged (248 reputation)Supercharged (248 reputation)Supercharged (248 reputation)Supercharged (248 reputation)Supercharged (248 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Do you have a ground strap attached from the engine to the body?   I also have a ground from the generator bracket to the frame.   A bad ground really can cause frustrations.   Hopefully you find a simple solution.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/2e6780b3-6e07-4836-8bf9-c3da.jpg

PF Arcand
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
Did you install the cam yourself?  If no, it's been reported here & elsewhere that some blocks have misalligned Cam bearing castings. Or did you have difficulty installing the Cam into the bearings? If so, Ted or others here might have suggestions to cure the issue..

Paul

Reading This Topic

Site Meter