Profile Picture

Rocker arm dilemma

Posted By Hollow Head 16 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 16 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Yesterday
I bought a set of B2 forged repro rockers off eBay (MadDog) 3 yrs. ago. They seemed well made, so I neglected to measure them for ratio uniformity. They came with jamb nuts which I did not use initially, as the friction hex adjusters seemed tight enough. Down the road though, when a lash check showed some variation, I decided to install the nuts. That's when I discovered one would not fit! The hex adjusters were apparently oversize, but the odd nut had OEM thread ID. I contacted MadDog, but no cooperation. Another eBay seller (Falcon) was offering the same rocker set (I thought), so after contacting/explaining, he had his distributor send me a free replacement nut (and adjuster). Strangely, the new adjuster was NOT oversized thread, but it's nut fit my MadDog adjuster.

This makes me wonder how many manufacturers are turning these repros out? You wouldn't think the market would support more than one. I e-mailed Falcon/distributor to try and discover the story, but they must have thought they had done enough, as I got no reply. If the latest repro version has smaller adjuster thread, I wonder if there is still a friction fit in the latest rockers (?), which if not, would of course make the jamb nuts mandatory.

6 VOLTS/POS. GRD. NW INDIANA
PF Arcand
Posted 16 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Seppo: Those are the other after market (aluminum) Rockers available. I believe they are manufactured by Dove. I don't know anything about what quality they are. The ones I was referring to are Forged Steel, 1.54 ratio, copies of the originals. They are sold by John Mummert & possibly elsewhere.

Paul
Y block Billy
Posted 16 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)

Last Active: 6 Years Ago
another way to check is to take a caliper and measure the distance from the shaft bore of the arm to the rocker ball. I cannot remember the dimensions and I am on the road at the moment so do not have any in front of me for reference but the lower the distance from the arm to the ball, the higher the ratio. one thing to remember, when you shorten the distance from ball to pivot point (shaft center) you increase the force needed for the lifter to compress the spring, so the higher the ratio, the better oil you should have to protect cam and lifters because it will be harder on them.

55 Vicky & customline

58 Rack Dump, 55 F350 yard truck, 57 F100

59 & 61 P 400's, 58 F100 custom cab, 69 F100, 79 F150, 82 F600 ramp truck, 90 mustang conv 7 up, 94 Mustang, Should I continue?

PF Arcand
Posted 16 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Returning to this subject. Re john Mummert's observations on the Rockers, re the 3 digit number on the adjuster end of the 1.54s. I should have noted that he only referred to the ECG6564-A2 rockers. He made no reference to the suffix "B2" rockers. So they could be another ??.. Now, looking at Charlie from Florida's question & photos of "today", I see that one of the rockers in the photo is a B2, and has a 2 digit number on the adjuster end. So, it appears we have yet another ??. This is getting really confusing...

Paul
webconst
Posted 16 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Turbocharged

Turbocharged (60 reputation)Turbocharged (60 reputation)Turbocharged (60 reputation)Turbocharged (60 reputation)Turbocharged (60 reputation)Turbocharged (60 reputation)Turbocharged (60 reputation)Turbocharged (60 reputation)Turbocharged (60 reputation)

Last Active: 5 Years Ago
Thank you to all who responded.  Paul and Billy followed your instructions, they do have numbers on the adjusting end and 5/16" drill shank will not fit. Can I assume these to be 1:54:1?Thank you,  Charlie, Central Fl.

PF Arcand
Posted 16 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Probably, but not guaranteed. Check each one carefully for variations. Also, you have the interference type adjusters (no jamb nut) so check to see that each one is snug when turning it. If any ones are obviously loose, you could have problems with not holding it's setting. Oversize thread adjusters used to be available, but I'm not sure of a current source. Maybe someone else can help there.

Paul
Unibodyguy
Posted 16 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (240 reputation)Supercharged (240 reputation)Supercharged (240 reputation)Supercharged (240 reputation)Supercharged (240 reputation)Supercharged (240 reputation)Supercharged (240 reputation)Supercharged (240 reputation)Supercharged (240 reputation)

Last Active: 12 Years Ago
I can recall that Lindsy Shoemaker from Austrailia several years ago had a very simple way of identifing "big" and "small" roccker assemblys by measuring the length of the rocker itself. Can't recall for sure but it seems as thought the 1:54's were 3 in. in length and the 1:43's were I think a 1/4 in. shorter?? Can't recall. It was in YBM.

Michael

Michael

Sandy Valley, NV

Reading This Topic

Site Meter