Profile Picture

'57 T Bird voltage regualtor issues again

Posted By slumlord444 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 days ago
Generator was recently rebuilt and had it off and checked back in September last year when I last had issues. New regulator supposed to be here Thursday. If that doesn't work will do some more testing. Have had regulator issues several times recently.
slumlord444
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Generator was recently rebuilt and had it off and checked back in September last year when I last had issues. New regulator supposed to be here Thursday. If that doesn't work will do some more testing. Have had regulator issues several times recently.
Florida_Phil
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
I had similar issues with my 55 TBird 12 volt system.  Went through a number of generator rebuilders and assorted problems. I know you don't want hear this, but it's time to convert to an alternator.  Generator rebuilders are dinosaurs. I used the Casco alternator kit and I couldn't be happier.  My old voltage regulator is still in my car for looks.  Keep the original parts for the next owner and keep your sanity. 

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

charliemccraney
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: Yesterday
I agree with Phil.  I got tired of yearly rebuilt generators and starters.  Went to modern stuff and no problems there in probably 16 years of daily driving now.

Lawrenceville, GA
Sandbird
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (353 reputation)Supercharged (353 reputation)Supercharged (353 reputation)Supercharged (353 reputation)Supercharged (353 reputation)Supercharged (353 reputation)Supercharged (353 reputation)Supercharged (353 reputation)Supercharged (353 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Tedster (8/12/2019)
Well ... that doesn't mean the regulator is necessarily defective. It does mean no charging is going on.

This is so true. I've been around electrical problems my whole life, A friend's car was close to a lightning strike which depolarized the generator from the huge magnetic field.

slumlord444
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

New regulator came in. Light still won't go off. Did some testing and could not come up with a definate answer. Have to agree with the alternator fans. Hate to do it but I'm too old to drive myself nuts with it. Ordered a Powermaster Alternator tonight. Looks like a generator but is a 90 amp alternator. Should bolt right on and still look close enough to original for my purposes. Anyone here using th Powermaster?

charliemccraney
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: Yesterday
I've been using a regular Power Master Alternator.  No complaints.

Lawrenceville, GA

Reading This Topic

Site Meter