Profile Picture

A Sorry, Painfull Lesson Learned..

Posted By PF Arcand 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
I hope you get back to 100% soon. I have done what you were doing many times with my 56 with an automatic. I never have trusted my "park" detent and do almost everything in neutral and the emergency brake on. I even move the shift arm on the column under hood a lot. I too never trusted E brakes with reverse and have been using a 4x4x12 behind a rear tire since I can remember. Since these Fords didn't start in park anyway I normally leave my car parked in neutral with the E brake on. 

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
oldcarmark
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Last Active: 9 days ago
You are probably aware that switching the Neutral Start Switch to One from 1958 Ford will start in both Park and Neutral. I never could figure out what Ford was doing when the Automatics from 1950-1956 only start in Neutral.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg
harleyjohn45
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (108 reputation)Supercharged (108 reputation)Supercharged (108 reputation)Supercharged (108 reputation)Supercharged (108 reputation)Supercharged (108 reputation)Supercharged (108 reputation)Supercharged (108 reputation)Supercharged (108 reputation)

oldcarmark (4/4/2019)
You are probably aware that switching the Neutral Start Switch to One from 1958 Ford will start in both Park and Neutral. I never could figure out what Ford was doing when the Automatics from 1950-1956 only start in Neutral.

I learned something today, my car starts in Park and neutral, so I guess someone worked on it in the past.
harleyjohn45
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (108 reputation)Supercharged (108 reputation)Supercharged (108 reputation)Supercharged (108 reputation)Supercharged (108 reputation)Supercharged (108 reputation)Supercharged (108 reputation)Supercharged (108 reputation)Supercharged (108 reputation)

Paul, I've done the same thing many times, since I don't move as fast as I used to, I'll start chocking wheels.
oldcarmark
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Last Active: 9 days ago
harleyjohn45 (4/4/2019)
oldcarmark (4/4/2019)

I learned something today, my car starts in Park and neutral, so I guess someone worked on it in the past.

As  long as it starts ONLY in Park & Neutral. The Switch can be bypassed and it will start in any Gear. On the Standard Transmissions the Wires simply plug together where the Switch for Automatic goes on the lower steering column.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg
Meandean
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (464 reputation)Supercharged (464 reputation)Supercharged (464 reputation)Supercharged (464 reputation)Supercharged (464 reputation)Supercharged (464 reputation)Supercharged (464 reputation)Supercharged (464 reputation)Supercharged (464 reputation)

harleyjohn45 (4/4/2019)
oldcarmark (4/4/2019)

Mine does too.  I guess I never even thought about it.  Never knew they would originally only start in N.  Of course we only ever had standard or OD transmissions growing up.  My dad did not trust the reliability or longevity of automatic transmissions.  Plus the fuel economy suffered.  AND, mostly they could not be push/bump started.  And he was cheap, so a new battery was always a last resort.
Tedster
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
harleyjohn45 (4/4/2019)
Paul, I've done the same thing many times, since I don't move as fast as I used to, I'll start chocking wheels.

The main thing is to make it a habit, it becomes second nature. Military and government fleets have long drilled this into drivers.

Particularly on any kind of hill, parking is done such that the front wheels are turned that even in the case of a rollaway, the truck won't move far. The curb is first used as a chock as well, this alone keeps it from rolling.

Then the hand brake is applied. Finally the transmission is placed in reverse, or maybe 1st, or placed in "Park" if an automatic. This takes any strain off the parking pawl in an automatic, and further now the pawl isn't the only thing keeping the car from rolling down the hill.

Instead of one component - the pawl - holding the vehicle from crashing into a tree at the bottom of the hill - there's three, four if the driver further chocks the wheels.

Chocked wheels are also important when camping or in the field too. Like I said it's a habit thing. It makes the operator look at the parked vehicle and think about what happens, if somehow it were to roll. I use a chock block in the garage because I don't want to encourage the park or hand brake to corrode in place or stick if left engaged over the winter. I use lots of chock blocks when jacking up wheels or any work like that under the truck.

A walkaround is important too, collector cars don't get driven as often as they should. Don't run over the lawnmower, put the tools away, find a fire extinguisher and carry it.
Hoosier Hurricane
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 2 hours ago
Years ago I turned wrenches at a Buick dealership.  The tuneup guy in the next stall was adjusting the carb idle on a '59 Buiick with the trans in gear and the parking brake set.  After adjusting the idle speed and mixture, he "blipped" the throttle to see if it returned to his settings.  However, this car had a broken motor mount, and when he blipped the throttle the engine raised up which pulled the throttle wide open.  Luckily he was beside the car instead of in front of it.  The car smashed his two story tool box against a concrete block wall and his tools scattered everywhere.  Lesson learned.

John - "The Hoosier Hurricane"
http://www.y-blocksforever.com/avatars/johnf.jpg
NoShortcuts
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)

Paul.  THANKS for sharing your experience.  I sincerely hope you have a speedy and complete recovery.  My prayers are with you and those you love.

Our fellow Forum members have added generously to expand and underscore your message. 

This is a fantastic group of people to be associated with.  Thanks to all who have made the time to share.their knowledge, experiences, and caring for others.

Best Wishes to all for what you bring to this forum and my life.

Regards,
Charlie Brown

NoShortcuts
a.k.a. Charlie Brown
near Syracuse, New York
PF Arcand
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Thanks for the well wishes, appreciated!.. And the accident story posts give us all something to think about.. My whole right leg is swollen up & black & blue & the cut & abraised area at the knee has to be dressed everyday. Doc said to keep my leg up most of the day.. Problem with that is it stiffens right up & I can barely put my weight on it when I get up. On anti infection pills for the next 10 days & go back to the Doc next week... Won't be driving for quite some time.. A buddy of mine made me a set of blocks out of old fence posts with belting attached.. they say "Ford approved" & Paul Safe"  Better late than never I guess..

Paul

Reading This Topic

Site Meter