Profile Picture

Electric Fan Sensor location

Posted By Rono 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
General Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Weeks Ago
Recently there was a discussion about finding an additional location for a temperature sensor for an electric fan. I have some new information that I thought I would share here. I just purchased a Spal 16" electric fan kit for my coupe project. The vendor is "univparts" on Ebay. They provide an optional aluminum splice with a 3/8 NPT threaded bung nicely TIG welded which fits into your upper radiator hose for a temperature sensor. It only costs $14 and they sent me a separate Pay Pal invoice because it doesn't come with the fan kit. I'm sure anyone that wants one could get one. I think this will solve my cooling issue for the coupe.
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/6b65fe73-8c30-497e-9cc5-05fc.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/4a19e870-e870-4f63-a0a4-db5b.jpg  Ron Lane,  Meridian, ID

2721955meteor
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Last Active: 1 second ago
Rono (3/13/2019)
Recently there was a discussion about finding an additional location for a temperature sensor for an electric fan. I have some new information that I thought I would share here. I just purchased a Spal 16" electric fan kit for my coupe project. The vendor is "univparts" on Ebay. They provide an optional aluminum splice with a 3/8 NPT threaded bung nicely TIG welded which fits into your upper radiator hose for a temperature sensor. It only costs $14 and they sent me a separate Pay Pal invoice because it doesn't come with the fan kit. I'm sure anyone that wants one could get one. I think this will solve my cooling issue for the coupe.http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/6b65fe73-8c30-497e-9cc5-05fc.jpg

made my own,same location and it works fine,wish i was aware of the store bought
miker
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: 5 days ago
Ron, FWIW, with my sensor at the top of the radiator on a couple cars and on the intake with the EFI, I found I had to set the turn on point a little higher than the thermostat opening.. Otherwise I got a real short cycle operation on the fan. I don’t know, but I suspect, the lower radiator hose would be a better place to trigger the fan. But I’ve never had a car where that was do-able. I figured it out using a cheap infrared thermometer until the run time seemed reasonable.

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
Rono
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)

Mike;
That's interesting. I got a 185 degree sensor and relay with the fan kit, but I bought a 160 degree sensor so that the fan would come on before the thermostat opened. With this motor I would like it to run on the cool side if possible.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/4a19e870-e870-4f63-a0a4-db5b.jpg  Ron Lane,  Meridian, ID

charliemccraney
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: Yesterday
Having the fan come on before the thermostat is opened seems like a waste of resources since no coolant will be passing through the radiator to be cooled until the thermostat is open.
Is that some blower engine trick?  It seems like it would lead to a situation where the fan is always on when up to temperature.

Lawrenceville, GA
Daniel Jessup
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)

Rono (3/13/2019)
Recently there was a discussion about finding an additional location for a temperature sensor for an electric fan. I have some new information that I thought I would share here. I just purchased a Spal 16" electric fan kit for my coupe project. The vendor is "univparts" on Ebay. They provide an optional aluminum splice with a 3/8 NPT threaded bung nicely TIG welded which fits into your upper radiator hose for a temperature sensor. It only costs $14 and they sent me a separate Pay Pal invoice because it doesn't come with the fan kit. I'm sure anyone that wants one could get one. I think this will solve my cooling issue for the coupe.
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/6b65fe73-8c30-497e-9cc5-05fc.jpg

wow! Great find!

what is the OD of the metal tube that is supposed to be installed to the radiator hose? Is it an OEM 55/56 ford radiator hose match?

Daniel Jessup

Loveland, Ohio

aka "The Hot Rod Reverend" w00t
check out the 1955 Ford Fairlane build at www.hotrodreverend.com

Rono
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Charlie;

I put a 160 degree thermostat (I think it's a Chrysler high flow) in the blower motor. The relay kit I got with this new Spal fan was supposed to come with a 195 degree sensor, but I asked the vendor if they could substitute with a lower one. They sent a 185 degree sensor and relay kit which may be okay, but the fan would then lag way behind the thermostat opening. I don't think it's any special blower trick and if the fan runs all the time it doesn't matter to me. I hate running hot!

charliemccraney
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
That makes sense.

I read 185 degree sensor as thermostat for some reason.
My stock efi car uses a 195 degree thermostat and the fan comes on around 220 so that's about a 25 degree spread, 14 or 15psi system, though.

Lawrenceville, GA
Daniel Jessup
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)

FYI: I contacted the ebay seller that Rono referred to and yes indeed, they will sell the part individually. The OD is 1.5" in diameter to hook up to the radiator hose. I assume this is the size of the upper radiator hose for a 55/56 Ford but cannot remember right now. Rolleyes

EDIT: just given this message from the seller....

"Price would kind of depend on the size of the splice but it will probably be in the $30 range"

Daniel Jessup

Loveland, Ohio

aka "The Hot Rod Reverend" w00t
check out the 1955 Ford Fairlane build at www.hotrodreverend.com

Rono
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Daniel;
He charged me $14.00 for the 1.5" diameter splice which is the diameter of the upper radiator hose. He put the part in the box with the fan kit which was free shipping, but did send me a separate invoice. Maybe it was $14.00 because I bought a $195 Spal fan kit.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter