Profile Picture

Thunderbird Disk Brake Options

Posted By Florida_Phil 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 days ago
Everyone uses a dual master cylinder. No way for this to look right under the hood.

You're right, especially on a dedicated restoration.

The '65 Mustang had a single master cylinder with power and non  power brakes. Would the stock master cylinder and boster work with front disk brakes and a proportining valve?

Yes, but you are giving up the safety feature of the dual reservoir MC.

I realize the dual master cylinder is a safety thing but I had a rear break like fail with a dual master cylinder once and the emergency brake would have helped as much. I would have hit anything that would have been in front of me at the time anyhow. I have this obsession with keeping things looking as close to orginal as possible.

The dual reservoir MC is a safety feature. Depending on what part of the hydraulic system fails will dictate as to how the system reacts. The system is meant to be able to get off the road with a somewhat safe stop. It is not intended for continued driving

An operational safety brake is paramount as you have no idea what to expect with a hydraulic failure, especially if a PDV (pressure differential valve) is not used with the swap to isolate the failed system (front/rear or possibly both) and give the driver a warning lamp indicating a system failure.

charliemccraney
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: Yesterday
There is more to a dual master cylinder than simply bolting one on to get the safety feature.  I know because I had a rear brake line leak that resulted in no brakes at all.  I don't know what else is required but do not let it give you a false sense of security in a non stock application.
I was fortunate to realize I had the problem in my driveway.

Lawrenceville, GA
Florida_Phil
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Great resource.  Answers all questions I had.  Thanks!
https://www.mpbrakes.com/page.asp?p_key=AD8E13B3C7E0409FB4FF6C7C7267C59A

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

KULTULZ
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

Valves FAQ

What does a proportioning valve do?
A proportioning valve is used in the rear to decrease the rate of pressure rise to the drums relative to the pedal force as weight is shifted to the front during braking. This prevents the rear from locking up under hard braking conditions.

What are the symptoms of a bad proportioning valve?
If your prop valve has gone bad your rear wheels will lock up easily, especially on wet surfaces.

What does a metering valve do?
A metering valve or "hold off valve" is used in the disc portion of a disc/drum system to hold off the application of the front discs slightly allowing the slower reacting rears to catch up. This provides rear stability on wet surfaces and reduces excessive pad wear.

What are the symptoms of a bad metering valve?
Your car will nose dive and the front pads will wear too fast.

What does a residual valve do?
There are two different uses for residual valves. The 10 lb valve is used to hold a residual pressure to the drum brakes to keep the shoes out close to the drums giving a higher firmer pedal. The 2 lb valve is used in the disc when the master cylinder is lower than the calipers to prevent back siphoning of the fluid from the master.

What are the symptoms of a bad residual valve?
The brakes will be very spongy and you will need to pump the pedal to get good brakes.

What is a combination valve?
A combination valve incorporates metering and proportioning into one valve providing all necessary valving for disc/drum systems. 
See below

Should I use an adjustable proportioning valve?
Not if you can help it. The adjustable valve will only provide the proportioning function and not the metering that is needed.

SOURCE- https://www.mpbrakes.com/page.asp?p_key=AD8E13B3C7E0409FB4FF6C7C7267C59A

KULTULZ
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

charliemccraney           Posted 10 hours ago 

There is more to a dual master cylinder than simply bolting one on to get the safety feature.  I know because I had a rear brake line leak that resulted in no brakes at all.  I don't know what else is required but do not let it give you a false sense of security in a non stock application.

-----------------------------

Just wondering. With your install, did you include a Pressure Differential Valve? It has a provision for a sending unit to trip a warning lamp in the cabin in case of a failure?

KULTULZ
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

slumloard44 Posted -

Everyone uses a dual master cylinder. No way for this to look right under the hood. The '65 Mustang had a single master cylinder with power and non  power brakes. Would the stock master cylinder and booster work with front disk brakes and a proportioning valve?

Forgot to answer this question.

In short no. It cannot be done with the OEM MC. The MC will not supply either enough pressure or volume to the calipers.

Now, if you wanted to maintain a somewhat OEM appearance for a DISC/DRUM conversion w or w/o a booster, FORD used a single reservoir dual outlet MC in 1965/66 that allowed DISC/DRUM w or w/o power assist and the reservoir was much larger to supply the needed volume for the calipers. These were referred to as 'FRUIT JARS' if you remember that far back.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/27d55214-6a71-4192-ae7e-f378.jpg

If planning to use the OEM MIDLAND BOOSTER, only the FRT disc line could be routed through the booster slave cylinder (either w DUAL RSVR MC or the SGL RSVR DUAL OUTLET) as the two systems have to remain isolated from one another.

You only need power assist on the FRT DISC as they require more pressure/volume over drum. The rear drum will work fine with manual pressure.

IMO, a late/early seventies DUAL RSVR MC is not that noticeable if FORD (BENDIX) design. If you need to stay with the OEM MC, you could juggle shoe size/wheel cylinder size to make the drum brakes more aggressive.

Hope all of this made sense.

Now all of the above is IMO, and you need to verify before attempting.

EDIT -1945 HRS 2/11/19

The above text was changed somewhat hoping to make it more understandable.

charliemccraney
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: Yesterday
There is no pressure differential valve in the system.

Lawrenceville, GA

Reading This Topic

Site Meter