Profile Picture

Octane levels

Posted By Rusty_S85 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 6 hours ago
Ted, late news releases in my farm paper talks about Trump wanting to switch to E15 gas year 'round instead of winter only.  You had bad gas at the Engine Masters, did they supply you with local pump gas?  My race car ran 12.0s at the beginning of the season with last year's gas still in the tank.  Then after I filled it with fresh 93 octane, it slowed to 12.5s, slowed from 112 mph to 106.  I couldn't find anything mechanically wrong, so I performed a crude alcohol test of the gas in the car, and sure enough, it checked well over 10%, nearly 15%.  My local Marathon guy assured me that they never have more than 10% in any of their three grades of gasoline.  Then I noticed that local gas pumps no longer have stickers on them saying they have 10% alcohol like they used to.  No stickers at all.  The fresh gas I put in in the spring was probably remaining "winter" 15% gas.  Also, my 2014 Chrysler van dropped from almost 22 mpg last summer to about 18.5 since September.  The supposed 15% gas was said to run from September to June.

John - "The Hoosier Hurricane"
http://www.y-blocksforever.com/avatars/johnf.jpg
Rusty_S85
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Ted (1/15/2019)
I find that the Holley 4000 carbs (Teapots) are overly sensitive to ethanol laden gasoline and require up to a two number increase in jetting in which to compensate if using 91-93 octane fuel.  If using 85-89 octane fuel, the problem will just be worse as the lower octane fuels have a higher percentage of ethanol in the gasoline than the 91-93 octane grades.

The first symptom of the lean jetting in those carbs is a hesitation right off of idle and on the more worse situations, a lag in part throttle response where the engine seems sluggish or not wanting to take the fuel.  The increase in primary jetting fixes both of these.  I’m fortunate that I can ‘drive’ some of these engines on the engine dyno and simulate actual driving conditions.  With that information and computer generated data, the jetting is corrected before the engine goes in the vehicle.

That sounds like whats going on with me.  Car couldn't even pull itself up the driveway if I put the back tires in the gutter of the driveway.  That hump just caused the motor to bog down and not pull itself up.  I had to get a running start.  Think this fuel is my problem cause around here its up to 15% ethanol and the fuel only lasts about 2 months before it goes bad without stabil in it.

Im going to just dump my tank and get some 93 octane and run that.  I don't know what jets are in this carb but this carb is listed as being for a 312 and its on a 292 right now so the jetting should be a bit fatter than usual.  Car runs great its just is sluggish off idle, going to the richer winter setting on the accelerator pump did take some of the hesitation out but there is a moment where it goes flat and picks up.  I can step down on the throttle harder and it doesn't hesitate as bad.

I am going to try and pull a plug out tonight after work if its not raining just to check it and see what it looks like on number one.

1956 Ford Fairlane Town Sedan - 292 Y8 - Ford-O-Matic - 155,000 mi

FORD DEARBORN
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
Same thing going on in Michigan. Went from 31 MPG to 28 with the Focus and 18 down to 16 with the F150. Gasoline is much cheaper but were burning more fuel. Sometime earlier last year I read about a plan  to offer only one grade of fuel. Like, eliminate mid grade and regular.  The added alcohol can improve the fuel's resistance to knock?  I can't find this information so take it with a few grains of salt or maybe someone else can comment.  We can re-jet our carburetors for additional alcohol content but neoprene parts would last even less time and more water vapor would condense in a given time in an open fuel systems.  I haven't yet done an alcohol test but will soon and report my findings. JEFF.....................

64F100 57FAIRLANE500
Hoosier Hurricane
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)

My local Marathon guy also told me that he has 90 octane non-alcohol gas available.  He said he sells it to other local farmers for their chain saws, lawn mowers, 4 wheelers, and older gasoline tractors.  He said they love it.  He'll deliver it to me if I have a drum he can pump it into.  Didn't quote a price.  Makes me wonder what new "stuff" is in the furnace oil I get from him?????  I suspect soy bean oil like they are making diesel fuel from now.

The Midwest farmers love the idea of E15 year 'round.  They grow more corn that ever, and there are a lot of ethanol plants around here.

Lord Gaga
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.0K reputation)Supercharged (2.0K reputation)Supercharged (2.0K reputation)Supercharged (2.0K reputation)Supercharged (2.0K reputation)Supercharged (2.0K reputation)Supercharged (2.0K reputation)Supercharged (2.0K reputation)Supercharged (2.0K reputation)

Last Active: 3 days ago
Amid mounting calls to phase out fossil fuels in the face of rapidly worsening climate change, the United States is ramping up oil and gas drilling faster than any other country, threatening to add 1,000 coal plants’ worth of planet-warming gases by the middle of the century, according to a report released Wednesday.
 By 2030, the U.S. is on track to produce 60 percent of the world’s new oil and gas supply, an expansion at least four times larger than in any other country. By 2050, the country’s newly tapped reserves are projected to spew 120 billion metric tons of carbon dioxide emissions into the atmosphere.

SO WHY BOTHER WITH CORN? FARM SUBSIDIES!

"FREE SAMPLE"
FORD DEARBORN
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)

There is only one non-alcohol fuel retailer near me but it costs about a whopping 70 cents more/gal in my area.  I have tried it in all my vehicles including my modern daily drivers and small engine appliances. Every engine loves it. Like, engines will give you a big hug for feeding them that stuff.  Several years ago I tested it for alcohol and found none, at that time. As far as what it is?  I'm guessing it may use av-gas as its base stock with out the lead, of course. I remember very well what 100LL smells like from my aviation days and the non-alcohol fuel has a hint of that "sweet" smell like av gas. Non-alcohol fuel doesn't have that nasty smell and the exhaust smell is much better. Since refineries are still producing av gas for piston engine aircraft, it would make sense to possibly use that stock for non-alcohol fuel IMHO.  If it were reasonably priced and available more places, we and our Y-blocks would have it made in the shade.  

64F100 57FAIRLANE500
Lord Gaga
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.0K reputation)Supercharged (2.0K reputation)Supercharged (2.0K reputation)Supercharged (2.0K reputation)Supercharged (2.0K reputation)Supercharged (2.0K reputation)Supercharged (2.0K reputation)Supercharged (2.0K reputation)Supercharged (2.0K reputation)

Last Active: 3 days ago
DYI Ethanol free gasoline;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QH2zgomFdEM
I can see this as a winter project for those of us in cold climates and on a tight fuel budget!  Use 5 gallon ex-water bottles, start with 93 octane. The dye in the water is crucial. Get some 55 gal drums for storage. How about it? w00t
(Don't be like this guy and do it near an open flame or source of spark...hot water heater behind him!) Wow

"FREE SAMPLE"
FORD DEARBORN
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Very interesting, hopefully someone with more fuel chemistry smarts than I will comment. Isn't the alcohol used to support the octane number advertised on the pump? Removing the alcohol would seem to bring the fuel close to "white gas" which may be ok for small engines. Not sure how this would play out for our classic engines. I do have a friend who built a screaming strictly race (stroker 351+) vehicle running on pure (neat) alcohol very successfully. He claims higher compression ratios and very predictable 1/4 mile times but burns almost double the fuel. Looking at the carburetor jets tempts me to see if a pencil will fit.

64F100 57FAIRLANE500
Hoosier Hurricane
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

The racing alcohol is METHANOL, not ethanol.  My buddy using it in his big engine drag car used 3 times as much as he did gasoline.

Rusty_S85
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
FORD DEARBORN (1/15/2019)
Same thing going on in Michigan. Went from 31 MPG to 28 with the Focus and 18 down to 16 with the F150. Gasoline is much cheaper but were burning more fuel. Sometime earlier last year I read about a plan  to offer only one grade of fuel. Like, eliminate mid grade and regular.  The added alcohol can improve the fuel's resistance to knock?  I can't find this information so take it with a few grains of salt or maybe someone else can comment.  We can re-jet our carburetors for additional alcohol content but neoprene parts would last even less time and more water vapor would condense in a given time in an open fuel systems.  I haven't yet done an alcohol test but will soon and report my findings. JEFF.....................

Same thing I noticed here, my old 82 F150 when I was still driving it went from 15 mpg city down to 12 mpg city after the switch to this ethanol blend.  Sad thing is winter is worse I get about 9 to 10 mpg city in winter.  With the regular gas used to get 14-15 year round.

Once I move there is a gas station small one in a small town that sells ethanol free 93 octane at nearly $3 a gallon.  Im thinking about just running that to get my mileage back as well as to help out my old vehicles run better.

1956 Ford Fairlane Town Sedan - 292 Y8 - Ford-O-Matic - 155,000 mi

Reading This Topic

Site Meter