Profile Picture

292 Overbore/Rotating Assembly Questions

Posted By customline3859 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
I had a Sleeve put in my 312 about 20 years ago, the block was already 40 over when I got it and a pin clip had let go and trashed a cylinder.  When it was in the machine shop for the sleeve they reported that the block had a sleeve already installed in another cylinder. The shop matched the sleeved cylinder to the new 40 over piston and it's been running fine ever since.

Never checked deck height but since all the other cylinders were 40 over and reading what I have today I assume all the pistons in this engine have reduced deck height.  This was not a performance build and had been run about 14.000 miles in the last 20 years with no problem from either sleeve.
NoShortcuts
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)

Customline3859 (David).  John's suggestions of sleeving the two rust pitted cylinders OR boring the two cylinders for larger oversize piston are workable solutions that are used in the work-a-day world that will work. 

I'm not sure of your circumstances OR of your goal with the vehicle that you're going to put the engine in.

Sleeving the cylinders in question or using oversize pistons are fixes that will make the engine use-able and work ready.  I've disassembled engines that have had repairs of this type executed by quality machine shops.

All of the information shared is GooD.  Gage what fits your intentions and finances.  Smile 

NoShortcuts
a.k.a. Charlie Brown
near Syracuse, New York
customline3859
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (214 reputation)Supercharged (214 reputation)Supercharged (214 reputation)Supercharged (214 reputation)Supercharged (214 reputation)Supercharged (214 reputation)Supercharged (214 reputation)Supercharged (214 reputation)Supercharged (214 reputation)

I have a 1959 EBD Block, so I do not have the HD block/rods. My local machine shop quoted me $250 to bore the engine out an additional .020-.040 depending on what's necessary. I've seen silv-o-lite pistons with rings for sale on Ebay for $229.00 or so. Although I'm not super thrilled to be throwing additonal money into an engine that was already "rebuilt", but I just don't want to have it torn down this far just to have it smoke or give me trouble when I put it back together. 

Reading This Topic

Site Meter