Profile Picture

Help with 1955 Thunderbird Wheels

Posted By Florida_Phil 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Phil
You wrote ".  I believe these Ansen Sprint wheels will fit my car.  I would hate to order them and find out differently.  Anything wrong with my calculations?"
You should not have to do ANY CALCULATION, get TECH SUPPORT to do it for you BEFORE you BUY the wheels. Pete
charliemccraney
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 3 hours ago
Tech support is wrong or you misunderstood.

You can see the specs here, https://www.americanracing.com/wheel/8845/vna69-ansen-sprint

The 7" rim has 0 offset and 4" backspace.  The only way that is possible is if the wheel is 8" wide overall.  The 7" width is measured between the bead, the part of the wheel that the tire actually touches

Lawrenceville, GA
KULTULZ
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/images/smilies2/sad2.gif

Man, you guys are beating yourselves to death over this.

There are only three ways to get where you want to go-

1) Order the wheels in the exact size as your present wheels

2) Get dirty and use a tool such as shown below.

3) Or hire a professional as Mike did to do it for you.

There are just too many variables as outlined on the post thread before this one. What works on one car (even same type) may not work on another. If you change over now without ensuring the suspension- trim height are not correct or where you want them, any future modifications are going to lead to heartbreak.

Too many theories being thrown around to create confusion.

https://www.jegs.com/images/photos/700/760/760-01201.jpg

Florida_Phil
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
I decided to put my wire wheel hub caps back on with the black wall tires and no skirts.  I like it.  Kind of classy and hot rod at the same time.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/e2a1caa6-db09-439a-b7f7-1915.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

Florida_Phil
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Charlie is right.    I emailed American Racing Tech Support directly.  Here's what they had to say.  No wonder there is so much confusion.  Even the Vendors can't get it right.

The overall width of a wheel is always 1” wider then its advertised width. This is because wheel width is measured from bead seat to bead seat. This is true for all wheels. Therefore, our 15x7 VNA69 has an overall width of 8”. The 4” backspace is measured from the outer edge of the wheel down to the mounting pad.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

KULTULZ
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
And what that is doing is protecting the maker. Total width has to be included so the ordered wheel doesn't hit something such as a ball joint. The other measurement is for tire sizing.

paul2748
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: 4 hours ago
Advertised wheel width is typically the measurement on the inside of the bead as mentioned by American Racing.  Adding an inch for the the overall width (outside of the flange) is probably typical of steel wheels.  Aluminum wheels may be different.

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

MplsMike
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (509 reputation)Supercharged (509 reputation)Supercharged (509 reputation)Supercharged (509 reputation)Supercharged (509 reputation)Supercharged (509 reputation)Supercharged (509 reputation)Supercharged (509 reputation)Supercharged (509 reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
Hi Kultulz,

What’s the name of that tool you posted and do you know where to buy it? Thanks,

MplsMike
'56 Parklane
Minneapolis, MN
miker
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
Mike, the jegs link in my previous post is for the measuring tool. I’ve got one, they work.

If you cut it a bit close, you buy this next. Didn’t need it on the bird, but have used it successfully on OT cars.

https://www.eastwood.com/ew-fender-roller-w-instruction.html?SRCCODE=PLA00010&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5q3rj_us3wIVE8pkCh0ASANrEAQYAiABEgJ-fPD_BwE

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
MplsMike
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (509 reputation)Supercharged (509 reputation)Supercharged (509 reputation)Supercharged (509 reputation)Supercharged (509 reputation)Supercharged (509 reputation)Supercharged (509 reputation)Supercharged (509 reputation)Supercharged (509 reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
Thanks Miker for pointing out the link you posted. My turn next on trying to fit wheels and tires.

MplsMike
'56 Parklane
Minneapolis, MN

Reading This Topic

Site Meter