Profile Picture

1955 Thunderbird Fordomatic not shifting into high

Posted By Tater Salad 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Normally aspirated (28 reputation)Normally aspirated (28 reputation)Normally aspirated (28 reputation)Normally aspirated (28 reputation)Normally aspirated (28 reputation)Normally aspirated (28 reputation)Normally aspirated (28 reputation)Normally aspirated (28 reputation)Normally aspirated (28 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 6 Years Ago
Lou, I didn't get it up to 60 I thought it was revving too high at 35. Which was about 3200.

Yes Miker, that was my thought as well.
bergmanj
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (539 reputation)Supercharged (539 reputation)Supercharged (539 reputation)Supercharged (539 reputation)Supercharged (539 reputation)Supercharged (539 reputation)Supercharged (539 reputation)Supercharged (539 reputation)Supercharged (539 reputation)

Last Active: 6 hours ago
The "plus" side to the oil coating from the road draft tube is that there's no rust on/in that portion of the frame on my '55 Crn Vic (engine and transmission are out right now due to issues with "knocking"; found-out that someone previous had not torqued-down the flex plate to crank flange bolts & it was "clacking around" on there). This is a "northern" car previously exposed to winter weather and salt way before me!

Regards, JLB

55 Ford Crown Victoria Steel Top
oldcarmark
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Last Active: 4 Weeks Ago
[quote]Tater Salad (10/9/2018)
Thanks Sandbird,
The kickdown linkage seemed right to me. (moved as the throttle linkage moved) 
But I'm now having regrets about taking it out and not fully investigating all external factors. (shifter included)
The car had sat for so long my knee jerk reaction was to remove it and rebuild it. But I'll make sure those things are correct when it goes back in.
[/quote
It is unfortunate that You didn't as ask some Questions before pulling it. The Transmission Pressure Rod that goes down to the Transmission and  moves with the Throttle has to be adjusted to correct Length or it may not shift into High (third). This will occur if the Rod is too long . Pretty simple adjustment  to make from above with the Transmission installed. In the Transmission Manual there are checks and Adjustments to do before moving on to the Tests involving Air Pressure etc. One of them is setting up the Accelerator Linkage and adjusting the aforementioned TPS.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg

Reading This Topic

Site Meter