Profile Picture

Buying Y block

Posted By Sanddoc 8 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Question Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (175 reputation)Supercharged (175 reputation)Supercharged (175 reputation)Supercharged (175 reputation)Supercharged (175 reputation)Supercharged (175 reputation)Supercharged (175 reputation)Supercharged (175 reputation)Supercharged (175 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 5 Years Ago
Hello
    there is a 272  Y block for sale not far from me. He is asking $100
he also has some other parts.
     Is the price right, I am looking for just a stock motor.
thanks
Dave
PS: I was at a car show yesterday,  and noticed the  239 Y had this cross over exhaust.
       Not being familiar with these engines, was this the only exhaust Ford had at that time.
       and didn't make the engine very restrictive ?
    Anyone have a site to read up on the exhaust system?

Ted
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.8K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.8K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.8K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.8K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.8K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.8K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.8K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.8K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.8K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Yesterday
While the ’54-56 Ford cars with the V8 option had the overhead crossover pipe for single exhaust applications, the ’57 and newer cars had the joining of the two exhausts under the car rather than on top of the engine.  Trucks and pickups on the other hand incorporated the crossover pipe on top of the engine for all years of production.  The exception to this was the use of ram horns manifolds on some truck applications.

Here’s the link to a past YBF thread discussing performance of the various exhaust manifolds and headers on the Y engines.
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/FindPost95270.aspx

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

paul2748
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.6K reputation)Supercharged (6.6K reputation)Supercharged (6.6K reputation)Supercharged (6.6K reputation)Supercharged (6.6K reputation)Supercharged (6.6K reputation)Supercharged (6.6K reputation)Supercharged (6.6K reputation)Supercharged (6.6K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
If it is a 57 engine with the heads still on it - grab it as the 272's in 57 had the G heads.  A number of years ago I saw an ebay auction for a  57 272 complete engine that was local.  Scoffed it up cheap as almost everyone looks for either a 292 or a 312.  Sold the short block for almost what I had bought the complete engine for.

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

PF Arcand
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Last Active: 7 Months Ago
Is the price right?!  If it's reasonably complete & rebuildable..what can you buy these days for a $100 ? Just don't expect a good running engine for that $.

Paul

Reading This Topic

Site Meter