Profile Picture

A Y-Block Takes a First Place Finish at the BBORR.

Posted By Ted 8 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Ted and Linda, Awesome job with a
great car!

-Gary Burnette-

Joe-JDC
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)

Last Active: 38 minutes ago
Excellent!   Glad you had a successful run!   Joe-JDC

JDC
yalincoln
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)

great job Ted!!!

lincoln/merc. y-blocks &mel's                                                               bucyrus, ohio.
Ted
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 4 days ago
Brodie55 (4/25/2016)
What a great accomplishment and cool story. Congratulations to you and Linda.
What are the basic rules/allowable mods?

For the 85-110 mph classes, minimum requirements include a SNELL rated helmet and gloves, fire extinguisher, and seat belts.  Also no polyester in the clothing or shoes.  For the 85 MPH class, a minimum of ‘S’ speed rated tires (112 mph) and the tech (max) speed is 112 mph. For the 90, 95, 100, 105, and 110 mph classes, a minimum of ‘U’ speed rated tires and a tech speed of 124 mph.  I had ‘H’ speed rated tires on the ’55 which are good for 130 mph but my tech speed is still 124 mph due to no roll cage and other specifics.  For the 85-110 mph classes, the tires cannot be over four years old.  In some of the faster classes, the tire age is limited to 2 years.

For those that feel the need to practice, an eight mile section of HWY 90 west of Sanderson, Texas is closed in intervals on the Wednesday and Thursday prior to the race.  Absolutely no passing is allowed during practice but passing is allowed on race day.  The race itself takes place on HWY 285 between Fort Stockton and Sanderson, Texas.

A more detailed description of the rules is located at the BBORR website.  Here’s the link.
http://www.bborr.com/rules

Here’s a picture of the ‘approved for racing’ sticker for the ‘55 once the car had passed the technical inspection.
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/d64a3902-6b97-4584-a904-e727.jpg 

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

ian57tbird
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)

Last Active: 8 days ago
Must of embarrassed a few Vette owners, congratulations.
dbird
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)

Great job Ted.   I just want a video or the bench racing session at the local Corvette club meeting.

Don
Lord Gaga
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
"I entered the ’55 Customline with its 272 in the Big Bend Open Road Race..."

Wasn't this more of a time/distance "rallye" than a race? Couldn't an entrant drive fast as hell and then slow down with the finish line near or in sight and the timer or "navigator" would direct him or her when to cross it? More of a hit or miss than a speed contest?
Congratulations in any case!

"FREE SAMPLE"
Hollow Head
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/985a38ff-df73-4326-a8f3-b45f.jpg
Ted, I wish we had more of these stickers... you and Linda definetely deserve one... Great job once again!

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/e3fd9a79-e7c3-47ff-a648-8cd5.jpg Seppo from Järvenpää, Finland
www.hollowheads.net (just click the hole in the head to proceed)
Old Ironhead
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Normally aspirated (32 reputation)Normally aspirated (32 reputation)Normally aspirated (32 reputation)Normally aspirated (32 reputation)Normally aspirated (32 reputation)Normally aspirated (32 reputation)Normally aspirated (32 reputation)Normally aspirated (32 reputation)Normally aspirated (32 reputation)

Last Active: 8 Years Ago
Congrats Ted! 272's Rock & Roll!
Ted
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 4 days ago
Lord Gaga (4/27/2016)
"I entered the ’55 Customline with its 272 in the Big Bend Open Road Race..."
Wasn't this more of a time/distance "rallye" than a race? Couldn't an entrant drive fast as hell and then slow down with the finish line near or in sight and the timer or "navigator" would direct him or her when to cross it? More of a hit or miss than a speed contest?
Congratulations in any case!

Two important key points here.  For the 85-100 mph Touring classes, the cars cannot exceed their Tech speeds and likewise are not allowed to run at speeds less than 70 mph.  For the 90 thru 110 mph classes, the Tech speed is 124 mph.  I did take note of a 105 mph class car getting disqualified going 126 mph.  For the faster Touring 105 & 110 classes, the minimum speed is 30 mph under the target speed.  In this case, you are looking at 75 & 80 mph minimum speeds.  Minimum speed for the ’55 Ford was 70 mph which was 20 mph below the target speed.  There were at least two vehicles I saw that were disqualified for running too slow across either finish line.  In this race, the first leg finish line is also a player.  On the first leg of this race, the ’55 Ford was running well in excess of 100 mph when it went across the finish line to make up time for a lot of curves at the tail end of that leg.  On the second leg, it was running in the 85-86 mph range across the finish line.

It is a competition but instead of racing to be ahead of another vehicle, it is a race against time.  One key here is picking a class that’s challenging for both the driver and vehicle.  The other key is being able to judge if the car is fast or slow at the various points during the race.  In my case, Linda as navigator is letting me know how many seconds fast or slow I am at the various landmarks being used to check the time.  The ’55 in this case could have also run the 95 mph class but it would have been more of a push in some of the straights to make up for lost time in the curves.  Keep in mind that this ’55 has a high mileage engine and was upgraded 26 years ago with an Isky E4 camshaft, ’57 distributor, and a 4 barrel carb on a ECZ-B intake.  Due to the mileage on the engine, I didn’t feel the need at this point to push this 272 to the limit.  The engine sounded pretty tight at 109 mph but oil pressure stayed constant at 60 psi at speed.

While most rallys have a series of checkpoints, this competition is only concerned with the final finished time.  As such, it just takes a different skill set to accomplish this.  At what speeds the vehicle is run at in the various legs of the race is up to the drivers/navigators as long as Tech speeds and minimum speeds are not exceeded.  While the ’55 was 0.140 seconds off of perfect, the #2 car (2013 Corvette) in my class was 1.913 seconds off of perfect.  That’s quite a spread between the 1st and 2nd place cars.

Linda did comment on how smooth the ’55 was at speed versus the 1950 Ford with a Flathead V8 that we ran last year.

Here’s this years’ poster print I just received of the car.
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/8a4a6729-f08a-4991-9eba-6c55.jpg 

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Reading This Topic

Site Meter